The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to stop an LT getting stuck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 10:55
I can't help but I would be willing to chip in for a second hand one off eBay if it furthers the cause.

I locking rear diff will complete the van...

Ringo
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 14 at 10:44
I envy you guys and your supply of spares, but that is what i get for loving the LT on this side of the pond. Not much I can do to help but I hope it goes somewhere.

Question is, if there are 2-3 different rear ends, would a diff locker work on all of them? what is the configuration dependent on?
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 14 at 12:50
Some lt2 have a slippy diff.
Would one retrofit?
Both cart sprung arse ends.....
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 12:08
Bumpity bump bump...

Has anyone had any more luck with the diff lock issue?

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
ringonotts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 12:24
The only progress I made is that I don't want one now.

I watched a syncro get stuck in wet grass this year (LHD Robs) while he was moving his van to tow me out. He only had his rear diff engaged and he got stuck. When he engaged his decoupler and the front wheels kicked in he was fine.
The lesson learnt was that even with a rear diff lock, it's not going to make the van that much better.

I now want a 4x4 LT :)

Ringo
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 13:44
Well, i have a very specific problem that I think it can help. Ice under one wheel and dry tarmac under the other and there is nothing I can do without power to the other wheel.
Dead
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 14:32
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

Some lt2 have a slippy diff.
Would one retrofit?
Both cart sprung arse ends.....
from what  i can work out with my lt2 the abs comes into play when on ice/mud/grass, when one of the drive wheels is spinning the abs system applys the brakes to that wheel forcing the drive power to the other wheel to try and grip then does vice versa when that wheel slips plus engine output is reduced till grip is found,  this system is live all the while with a light on dash lighting up when system comes into play.
With the sprinter i had(new type) there was a switch you pressed and this action came into play, on both vehicles the system worked quite well and got me going most times, found it very usefull when i went metal detecting and had to park in the field and grass was wet and ground spongy, deep tread tyres and a bit of weight helps a lot, but was bad news if both wheels were on just ice, 
think to retrofit to a lt1 would require quite a bit of work as you would need abs and maybe the ecu set up but worth a thought to see if possible
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 17:04
ABS?......what's ABSWink
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 17:34
Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

ABS?......what's ABSWink

Not stamping too hard, just like you were taught to start with.Wink
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
dr-rob View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr-rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 18:33
Lt1's are wider so may be an issue
little trixie the lt28 [1985]
diva the disco
lucy the land rover
1200 sportster
bike in boxes
so babe iv seen this.... NOOOO...No more projects.... yeah but.... I SAID NOOOO
Bloody mrs
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 18:54
Originally posted by dr-rob dr-rob wrote:

Lt1's are wider so may be an issue

Naaa, thats not an issue. The problem exists with lots of trucks. In this thread we were starting to get a handle on some sort of mod to the diff but it seems to fall off the radar.

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
dr-rob View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr-rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 14 at 08:19
I don't mean the problem with traction I mean the lt1 is wider than the lt2 so the lt2 axle would not be wide enough, I understand how the diff works.
diva the disco
lucy the land rover
1200 sportster
bike in boxes
Bloody mrs
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 14 at 15:31

I don't mean the problem with traction I mean the lt1 is wider than the lt2 so the lt2 axle would not be wide enough, I understand how the diff works.

Ahh, that didn't come through in the comment. Yes, totally un-connected vehicles.

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 14 at 15:34
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

ABS?......what's ABSWink

Not stamping too hard, just like you were taught to start with.Wink

I didn't create the ice, by friction, but when it is on your drive and you have to back in....slightly up hill....no way in hell will it move. And I don't want to put a winch on my fence to pull me up a .5deg rise.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
dr-rob View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr-rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 14 at 17:30
No worries I often think of a whole conversation in my head and only say part of it lol.

Fit a winch to the van and a shed load of big hooks and mount them at the top of every hill you use lol
diva the disco
lucy the land rover
1200 sportster
bike in boxes
Bloody mrs
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 13:27

No worries I often think of a whole conversation in my head and only say part of it lol.

Fit a winch to the van and a shed load of big hooks and mount them at the top of every hill you use lol

Nope, I'm too lazy to pick them up afterwards.Wink
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
dr-rob View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr-rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 15:02
Lol, don't pick them up,
diva the disco
lucy the land rover
1200 sportster
bike in boxes
Bloody mrs
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 20:12
Gets too expensive if you have to put a big hook on every hill. Trying to be economical, haha

Regardless, I've been looking at different types of systems on bluetoooob and I thought to just lightly touch the parking brake (assuming they workWink) to slow down the spinning tire and see if that starts the other one or if that just adds braking to both rear wheels equally.

One could have an arduino powered hall sensor on each wheel and have that programmed to pull on one or the other cable, as needed.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
dr-rob View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr-rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 14 at 08:13
Pulling the brake gently may just be enough to send a bit of power to the wheel with traction,
Put a small hopper full of grit in front of the wheel lol,
Now I'm thinking while fitting the hopper it is the perfect time to fit my missile and machine guns, pull out in me again will you bitches...... Sorry carried away there
diva the disco
lucy the land rover
1200 sportster
bike in boxes
Bloody mrs
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 14 at 08:35

it is the perfect time to fit my missile and machine guns, pull out in me again will you bitches

I could not find the space on the MZ for all that gubbins.

It is funny that I have had as many nuggets, sorry Nugget, pulling out in front of me in the van, the big white van with 2no big headlights on, as i did on the small black bike with one 6V light on.Wacko
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>