The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lecky windows...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lecky windows...
    Posted: 24 Jun 10 at 03:03
right...

since ive had my van the drivers side lecky window has been a bit temporamental and needed help 'getting up' once its gone down LOL

it started out with the mech slipping but now the whole lot proper jams up and its really hard to get it to move at all, even pulling it by hand; i've cleaned up what i can and messed about with it but i cant make it any better

anyone got a drivers side lecky window mech they wanna sell me? or know where i can obtain one?! or even fi theres another VW which has the same motor / winder unit!? CryLOL
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 10 at 09:10
Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

lecky window

All I can say to that is stop trying to make the rest of us jealous!Tongue

Do you know if it's a factory fit unit? Or an aftermarket 'bolt on' to the manual winder mechanism? If the latter you may be able to just buy another aftermarket unit.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 10 at 19:01
It's a factory fitted unit, which is a bumder! LOL

And as for jealousy - remember, my drivers' side window has to remain closed in this heat Cry else i'll never get it closed again LOL
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
86ClubJoker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 10 at 12:51
The passenger side on my LHD Florida had seized up when I bought it. I took the regulator mechanism apart and found plastic gears stripped - not repairable. The mechanism is quite bad quality... Searched for a replacement part but no luck. In fact, I ordered one online from Germany which appeared to be the right one based on part number, but got something (much better quality) which was just wrong and actually for a next gen LT (despite the part number).

In the end got a whole replacement regulator mechanism from VW for I think £120 or so (ouch).

Edited by 86ClubJoker - 27 Jun 10 at 12:52
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 10 at 23:44

money is no object in this weather... do you happen to remember how you got hold of the part number for it?! Smile i discovered mine is fixable by twatting the fuck out of it with a spanner, but i imagine that will only work for so long... hah

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 01:56
Hahaha. Like the spanner treatment...

Found it on the online VAGCat, which doesn't seem to work any more. Perhaps someone with access to VAGCat can help to check.

For my LHD 1994 LT31, the part number for the right hand side electric window regulator asssembly was

(7)     281837502B     
window lifter with motor / F 21-P-019 001>>
right /

Maybe the VW parts department can confirm if it's what you need.

All the best

Edited by 86ClubJoker - 28 Jun 10 at 01:57
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 02:03
by the way, a google of the part number 281837502B  will give this:
http://www.world-tuning.de/Komfortsysteme/Fensterheber/2-tueriges-Fahrzeug/ohne-Komfortfunktion/Vorne-rechts-Beifahrerseite/Elektrischer-Fensterheber-vorne-rechts-VW-LT-28-55-I::28203.html
which is NOT the right thing. This is a "Magneto Marelli" part, the one I originally ordered which is completely different - actually for the 97> LT and different to ours... so is currently sitting in my shed unused...

Same part number ordered from my local VW garage came good Smile

Edited by 86ClubJoker - 28 Jun 10 at 02:04
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 14:26
Slightly different but probably just as useful is this... The Ford Capri owners club international sell a two window electric kit which is universal and is completely hidden. It is nice quality and is only around £130 for the whole thing. So at least it's an option if you can't get another crappy quality original VW one! It wouldn't be too hard to get a manual window mechanism to fit and then put the Capri kit on top. It's designed for home fitting too so is very easy. They do work very well... Just a thought Icky.

Edited by Jam-Man - 28 Jun 10 at 14:27
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 14:39
That's an excellent suggestion, Jam-Man. Just some extra time to work out a way to fit them, I guess. I'll try that if (when!) I have any more trouble with the VW ones...

Edited by 86ClubJoker - 28 Jun 10 at 14:39
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 15:14
They come with very full instructions. Electrics aren't my thing but I had no trouble fitting them. There was also enough cable to fit the switches anywhere I wanted them, and the switches were the onlt thing visible. No unsightly bulges on the door panel or anything like that.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 15:18
I meant that it might take a bit of time to physically mount the aftermarket motors to the door skins (need a bracket?) and swap the electric window lifter for a manual one. Electrics fine for me, as have already got the wiring and switchgear there Big smile

Did you fit them to an LT door? If so, any chance of some photos?

Edited by 86ClubJoker - 28 Jun 10 at 15:18
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 16:15
No, I didn't fit them to an LT door. Mine are still manual. I did it to a Capri which is why I know it's them who sell a good universal kit! Our LT doors are very thin but a few questions to Capri HQ would solve that and they are very helpful on the whole. I'm sure they'd be happy to have the chance of supplying a few LT owners. Any extra business for no effort has to be good these days... Maybe we could get a discount if a few of us were interested in the kit?

Edited by Jam-Man - 28 Jun 10 at 16:16
 Post Reply Post Reply