The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long Wheelbase (Shorter Job) LT35

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Wheelbase (Shorter Job) LT35
    Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 17:50
Thought I would start a new topic for the new van. It's a 1995 LT35 2.4 TDI.

I've started stripping the old camper and have got the overhead lockers out. Will finish removing the rest of the stuff as and when I get time. No timescale planned, it will be done when its done.

It will need a little bit of panel work and the inside will be converted using what I already have.

Edited by BigAl68 - 08 Sep 10 at 17:44
1995 LT 35 Self Built Camper 2.4 TDI
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 20:27
At long last I finally got round to making a start.

Changed the headlights (the adjusters were broke on both sides)

Swapped the sliding doors over and the grill (it's now got a VW in the middle Clap)

Changed 3 of the bushes on the anti roll bar (the other one was ok but I've got the other new one for when the time comes), fastened the battery in properly, changed the drivers and centre passengers seat belt buckles, changed the door handles so all the locks are the same (except the ignition) and changed the passenger side mirror arm (slightly bent) and the mirror (smashed).

Also drained the petrol out of the old camper

Weather permitting more next week

Allan Thumbs Up
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 10 at 19:58
Had a good day today. Renewed the wheel bearings, the front spring and the brake pipe all on the passenger side, all of which were fails on the last MOT, the changed the last anti roll bar bush. Will change the pads and shoes at a later date and the rocker cover gasket.

New anti roll bar bush

Old and new springs (the old one was actually in 3 bits)

Spring out

All Finished

and a better pic of the sliding door

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

Edited by BigAl68 - 27 May 10 at 20:01
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 10 at 12:02
Progress! That's what we like to see! Big smile
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 10 at 17:52
Me too Icky. Managed to do some more today.Took the brand new exhaust off the camper.

and the heater fan as mine isn't working.

Also took the gear lever gaiter, spark plugs, leads, coil, air filter and electronic ignition (all brand new) off the camper and the weber carb, accelerator and choke cables off as it will be getting scrapped soon.

Swapped the ignition barrel on the Van so all the locks now operate with one key and while I was on I got the washers to work (cleaned the contacts)

also changed the rocker cover gasket as there was an advisory on the MOT of an oil leak

More soon.

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

Edited by BigAl68 - 07 Jun 10 at 17:31
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 17:23

Lots of useful spares on your old one! :D

Hope you've got a big shed! Wink
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 17:33
I've got 2 large sheds, an LT 28 and an LT 35 LOL. It's all stored in the camper at the moment. Still more to remove. Some going for the van and everything surplus (including the birds nest) will probably be flogged at a later date. Watch this space Geek

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

Edited by BigAl68 - 03 Jun 10 at 17:37
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 22:32
Originally posted by BigAl68 BigAl68 wrote:

I've got 2 large sheds, an LT 28 and an LT 35 LOL. 4

I was gonna make that joke but I resisted, I didn't need to in the end LOL

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 10 at 14:44
Did some more work on the campers. Stripped the old one and sent it off to the great scrapyard in the sky (well it's gone to Tindale) and brought all the bits to our house.

Started putting the side windows in. Inside I stripped off the ply lining and some of the insulation.

Outside I cut out the holes with my trusty angle grinder and duck taped them in for now. Used the interior part of the frame as a template.

1st hole

2nd hole

Taped in

More next week

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

Edited by BigAl68 - 31 Jul 10 at 22:00
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 10 at 21:57

Word of advice - make bloody sure that you seal up and rustproof the edges you've just cut REALLY well, because otherwise it'll rust in a few years - thats where a lot of minibuses have failed... :)

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 16:34
Thanks for the advice Icky Clap, would probably have realised shortly after the windows were sealed in Embarrassed .

Anyhoo today I changed the passenger side caliper for a nice shiny one (the bleed nipples were rotten on the old one and one snapped off when I tried to slacken it off) and have decided to do the drivers side one as well as that looks as if it will go the same way.

Weather permitting will be fastening the windows in tomorrow.

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

Edited by BigAl68 - 08 Sep 10 at 17:45
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 20:36
Weather and other things got in the way the last couple of days but managed to change the other caliper and also put on a new brake hose. Zinc oxide spray applied round the window edges so hopefully no rust. Also managed to get hold of a caravan to donate its interior to a good cause Clap.

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 10 at 17:28
Side windows bonded in. They are as they were in the old camper. Plenty of sealant and screwed through into the wooden subframe.

Then bracing for the kitchen area and window surrounds were started.

Also fitted a new dash as the old one had rather a large hole in one side (sorry for the poor pic Wacko ) and the fuel guage and water temp guage had a dodgy circuit board.

Caravan stripped out and got rid of. (I was asked if I'm opening a timber yard Embarrassed)
Fitted new wiper blades and adjusted the washers (they were doing a canny job of washing the roof LOL).
Started modifying the caravan interior to fit.
Fitted fastening clamps for the front seat as there were none. Didn't look as if there had ever been any either Shocked.
Changed the passenger side indicator lens (the old one was cracked)

More soon

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

PS. If you watch BBC 1 at 10.35 on the next 6 Monday nights (Tears & Gears) you will see what I used to do before I started messing about with LT's. My camper will be at a few of the meetings next year. A preview of the programme is on http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00td9d7
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 10 at 15:11
Made me all teary eyed reading through this Allan... good to see my old van (formerly known as "Big-Bob" by the way) being treated so well! :)
"LT Massive"
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 15:13
Glad you are pleased Matt.

Checked the rear brakes today and adjusted the handbrake cable. Think thats it for the mechanicals. Also put silicon sealant round the indicators so hopefully no more water where it shouldn't be.

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up
topsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 10 at 06:38
Hi Allan,
Just wanted to say it great to meet you (and great to meet you again for Rog, small world!) and thanks for your help, advice, and the try of your battery - it's such a relief to know for sure it is just a bad battery!
Bring the Mrs through any time if she wants to have a look at the interior...
Cheers
Zoe

BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 10 at 17:28
Cheers for that Zoe. Will pop round again soon to see how you are both doing.

Started on the fun stuff today. Cut a hole in the floor (also sealed and painted zinc oxide on the edges)

Installed the heater

Fitted the cupboard around it

Fitted the blower to the back

Started on the first seat

Still to plumb the heater in and get it checked by my friendly plumber before using. More tomorrow

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

Edited by BigAl68 - 18 Aug 10 at 17:30
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 16:20
Finished bracing around windows. Started cutting panels to go over the top and the Censored generator ran out of petrol so gave up for the day.

Found a use for the seat

More soon (work permitting)

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 18:00
Managed to squeeze a few hours in today. Started paneling around the windows. When it's done it will all come back off so I can put extra insulation and a water heater in.

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

Edited by BigAl68 - 08 Sep 10 at 17:48
topsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 19:11
looking good :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>