The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for Sprinter/LT,Which 1 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for Sprinter/LT,Which 1 ?
    Posted: 13 Sep 13 at 23:01
I'm looking for a MWB diesel van/minibus ( need bigger than T4 ). I've done a bit of research and I'm put off problematic later models. I've possibly found a 312D but would appreciate any advice on which models to avoid and why ? or which models offer best combination of power,mpg ( still better than any T3 I've ever owned !  )  & reliability. I'm preferably looking at 90s models with less electronics to go wrong etc. 

Thanks !

Smile

Edited by TransPorscher - 13 Sep 13 at 23:04
Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 13 at 07:50
The Lt & Sprinter are exactly the same from the engine back, basically the Lt is a Sprinter with a Vw engine, its got Merc gearbox, prop, diff etc.

Both are bomb proof & i'm not aware of any major issues except the Mercs seem to rust more than the Lt. I reckon you'll be happy with the Lt 109, im pulling 3.5t with mine & it drives like a dream.
Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 13 at 08:36
And 2000 onwards are ob2 so easy to map.

Pendle gets almost 160 bhp from a 109.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

redsurfbus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redsurfbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 13 at 18:16
I went from a LWB caravelle t4 to a MWB LT 158, havent looked back, better by miles, more room, loads more power. The only downside is there are not as many add on bits....but thats also an upside as it stops you spending money on tat that a van really does not need ;)
www.redsurfbus.com
Powered by Hot Sails Maui, Exocet Boards, Black Project Fins and Chinook parts.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 13 at 20:09
Originally posted by TransPorscher TransPorscher wrote:

I'm looking for a MWB diesel van/minibus ( need bigger than T4 ). I've done a bit of research and I'm put off problematic later models. I've possibly found a 312D but would appreciate any advice on which models to avoid and why ? or which models offer best combination of power,mpg ( still better than any T3 I've ever owned !  )  & reliability. I'm preferably looking at 90s models with less electronics to go wrong etc. 

Thanks !

Smile

The 312 is the one you want,the  2.8 5 cyl is about the best engine they made ,the early ones had head gasket isues but was sorted later on ,its standard etdi so pretty simple to repair the advantage over the LT, is it has a chain driven cam and pump and a bit more power  

I would avoid any high milage/older cdi`s like the plauge altough they are realy refined /strong /powerful engines when new they can turn into a real money pit when they get older especialy if you have injector problems which very common 

Edited by light - 26 Sep 13 at 20:11
redsurfbus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redsurfbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 13 at 20:08
The 2.8 LT is chain driven as well
www.redsurfbus.com