The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low MPG, but high compression

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low MPG, but high compression
    Posted: 17 Feb 11 at 14:05
Hi

Haven't been on here for ages, but my LT motorhome has been out and about, and then parked and covered for the snowy / frosty / rainy months of autumn and winter.

I've got really bad fuel consumption figures... 12 - 14 mpg on town and motorway runs.
(1979 LT35 - 2.0 petrol, 61,000 miles, solex carb)

I compression tested last weekend, hoping for signs of leaking valves... but the figures are high  (almost as new according to my haynes manual)   cylinders 4,3,2,1   - 165  160  160  165psi

The outer ring of plugs (which are fairly new) where carbon coated when I took them out, but not the core.  I've cleaned them up of course, but presuming this is indicating rich fuel mixture... but would this cause such bad MPG?

so42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote so42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 11 at 19:14
Can't help you mate but my van 1980 2.0L is just the same.
I feel its running rich. Points are spot on and timing looks ok but MPG is bad and it's a bag of wind.
Mine is a 10,000 mile from new minter too!
Roll on summer then I can get my splitty out!
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 11 at 09:06
Originally posted by 1day 1day wrote:

rich fuel mixture... but would this cause such bad MPG?

Rich fuel mixture = too much fuel, so you've answered your own question there! I'd check the air filter/intake for any signs of blockage (I have had a mouse set up home in mine, making a pile of nibbled foam pieces for a next!) Failing that, is the choke stuck on?
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 11 at 23:30
Change your plug leads, given that 2 plugs are ok and 2 not. £3 quid each.
If it was all of them then it could be the carb, but I don't think so.
Next thing to change would be the coil, mine cost £12.
Fuel consumption will at best be 17-20mpg, which is why I converted mine to lpg.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 11 at 23:53
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

If it was all of them then it could be the carb, but I don't think so.

EmbarrassedGood point! The images didn't load and I skim read the thread!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
so42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote so42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 11 at 22:56
Fixed mine now. Wow it drives like a new van again. Pulls like a train and super smooth.
When it comes down to it you have to go through everything from start to finish and don't take anything for granted.
All the story's of 2.0L LT's being gutless I thought was true as mine was just the same but get the points, timing and carb set and wow.
It may be the super low mileage of mine but I'm sure if you set aside time to sort it then it can be dialed in.
 Post Reply Post Reply