The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 35 MWB Camper Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wide28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wide28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 13 at 18:52
This is looking great!

Ive just gone from having too many T4's to buying my first Lt28 Swb. Looking for some inspiration. 

Great thread.
BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 18:00
How Do - Its been a while. Been busy rebuilding my house so progress has been zero on the van for the last year. Over the last few weeks though with the weather getting better I'm missing having a camper and I need a break from the house renovations. So I'm back on with the camper big time!

I need to do all the roof bits so that I can panel inside

First job - clean mucky roof:

Next  roof vent  - Fiamma 40 Crystal - this will be above the table area

Felt a bit nervous about doing this as everyone seems to - You just have to get on with it - measure twice 

and get the jigsaw out

A hour or so later pissing around with si_kaflex - its a nightmare and the vent is on

BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 18:43
I also decided to fit some Fiamma roof rails. These are a really good quality product, but as with most of their products the instructions are shite - I also decided to fit them in a more robust manner with stainless bolts and spreader washers inside - this was a bit tricky and had to mod the bolts slightly ( cut a grove in the heads so I could screw the bloody awkward things.  Lots of swearing later:

BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 18:57
Fitted a second Fiamma vent - at the rear of the van - over what will be the shower / bog room.  This was a bit of a fiddly job too - because of the ridges in the roof - had to carve a bit of the base of the vent away, lots of trial and error fitting. The shit loads of sik_aflex.

This is a Fiamma 28 turbo - with built in fan.

I also fitted some cross bars to the roof rails 

BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 19:17
Decided to fit some seat swivels - went for Fasp ones - really good quality swivels - absolutely no fucking instructions what so ever and the bolt sets were a bit inconsistent - had to do a bit of figuring out and a bit of chopping and changing - got there in the end. I decided that it would be a good time to carpet the seat boxes as I was removing the seats too:

Had to order a kit to drop the handbrake in order for the drivers seat to clear when swivels - works well 

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 19:21
It's taking shape Ben!!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 19:39
Cheers Jason - still loads to do! But hoping to get some camping in this summer
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 14 at 07:43
Hi Ben A. Would one be so kind as to pull ones finger out and produce an update so i can nick a load of ideas Big smile
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 14 at 09:39
Originally posted by AndyVan AndyVan wrote:

....Looking good chap!!!...if you dont mind me asking how much did the basic van cost in the first place???...Smile

Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

Thinking of upgrading then chap  

Spoooky.Shocked

This was one of the first threads I read when I joined, and had forgotten all about it.

Still going faster than mine.Wink
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Speshulbrew View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 14 at 19:45
time to nick another of your ideas mate ha ha! Where did ya get the repeaters mate?   Spesh Clap
road_fool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote road_fool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 16:48
Wow she's a beaut! Love how everyone is dying to know what you paid!

But seriously what did you pay? . . . hahaha

I did a really similar job on mine this summer!

Wondering where you got those windows in Nottingham?
Im based there and couldn't find anywhere closer than leisure van windows in Corby, but ended up using Van Windows Direct (ouch, wallet ache).

Edited by road_fool - 01 Dec 14 at 16:49
2006 LT35 2.5TDI 109ps
Adventure Machine
camper G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camper G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 14 at 17:09
To keep under bonnet  noise out of the cab make sure there are no gaps where wiring etc comes through. Its amazing  how much noise get through a very small gap.  Dum dum putty or r similar is ideal. Don't use silicon sealant as it hardens insulation.
dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 15 at 22:25
when is the 2015 chapter kicking off then ?Smile
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 15 at 19:59
OI ! Wakey Wakey ! Big smile

BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 15 at 13:48
How do! Will update shortly. I'm renovating a huge knackered Victorian house as well!

I've done a fair bit more, but progress is slower than I'd like owing to the house 
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 15 at 14:03
Just started on mine. Amassing a load of bits at the moment and waiting the cam belt and check over. once that's in the bag i'm on it ! 

BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 15 at 10:48
Its been a while since I've had time to update:

I built up the step on the side door - I've noticed Westfalia do this on their James Cook on the Sprinter. Using the van you notice how large the step is when the door is closed. Building it up a bit and extending the floor makes the passage from the rear to front of the van less precarious.

before

BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 15 at 11:18
I fitted flooring and carpeted the insulated wheel arches:

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 15 at 14:00
Neat Job on the cab step Ben. Was thinking about blocking mine off altogether and having an understep thing that comes out.  How wide is your bed ?  and how did you get the join for the flooring around the 90 degree on the step ? 

BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 15 at 17:10
Not sure normal double bed size I think. Just flooring adhesive on step - separate bits - will add L shaped edging soon

I built a shelf above cab - I took the original headliner down and insulated the roof

Built shelf

Cut headliner

Reattached front part of headliner:

trimmed remaining bit of bulkhead with Dremmel

Covered in carpet

more to follow...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>