The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT28 Diesel Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terryza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT28 Diesel Leak
    Posted: 01 Aug 18 at 18:48
Hi all, 

Need some advice lads. We got caught out with one of the diesel injector pipes bursting and giving the engine a really good diesel wash. Our problem now is the blanket under the hood is saturated with diesel. Need a suggestion to turf it out or a better solution? Its a bit of a drive from Denmark back to Berlin and we trying not to be as high as kite by the time we reach there.

Kind regards
Terence 
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 18 at 19:32
Turf it out… The smell wil reduce by time. It is not Dangerous.
I have never taken the under-engine protection off, so i dont know how high you need to lift the car to get it out. If you are able to get it out, why not do it now??
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
Terryza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terryza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 18 at 20:45
Many thanks Buss for the response . Will decide in the morning to chuck it out . Too tired after searching the whole day for a fix for the injector pipe. 

And sorry Andy, i thought i posted this in the right section. Looking now i was wrong . Not sure how to move it though .

Regards
Silly "auslander"
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 18 at 09:10
To remove the diesel you will need a chemical like thinners or brake cleaner to absorb the oil that will then evaporate or the good old fashioned plenty of washing up liquid and hot water....remove as much of the diesel as poss first with rags......

I do believe the sound deadening felt is only clipped in, you could remove it and bag it up to clean it later but it will be a warm noisy ride home.......
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 18 at 12:18
http://shop.dtp-motorteile.de/shop_e
..if you are not already home.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 18 at 00:30
If you've broken an injector line, make sure you have all the retaining clips installed.   If not they will tend to crack.
Terryza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terryza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 18 at 08:33
Hi all,

Many thanks for all your replies and advice.

We ended up throwing it out as the diesel had saturated it so badly that it tore loose from the clips and the metal straps. Turns out that it was not really that louder without it and the heat i was worried about ended up being unfounded. None the less i would prefer putting a replacement blanket back ...(hmm where to find one lol) . Also need to track down a spare set od injector pipes for sure . 

Once again , thanks all :)

Terryza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terryza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 18 at 08:34
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

http://shop.dtp-motorteile.de/shop_e
..if you are not already home.

Thanks for the link :)

Post Reply Post Reply