Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLT31 help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT31 help please
    Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 19:16

Hi,

I've just discovered a 1979 LT31 campervan in a barn which has been there for at least 12 years. I may be able to buy it and require some advice please.

The LT31 has had a "Hilton XLS" camper conversion which is an enormous aluminium box type complete with shower!!  I think it would make a superb project but have no experience with LT's or campers.

1. The main chassis is solid but the outriggers are rusted away and require replacement - how easy would it be to remove the complete camper assembly in one piece?

2. The engine is knackered and I would like to replace with a modern turbo diesel - what would be the best/easiest to fit ?

3. Are replacement body panels available since the doors are beyond repair ?

4. What differences are there in the bodies of the LT28, 31, 35 etc and can doors etc be swapped between these models ?

I really appreciate any help you can give.

cheers

monkeyonboard View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 23:03
there is a firm called just LT's, in leicester i think, who break LT's they could probably source any spares you need
LT's are the future
moocow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

If only....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 07 at 11:14

ABrennan

Firstly it would help if you could post some pictures of it so we can see what type of camper you are dealing with.

1: Most coach built campers can be removed from their chassis cab as a lot of people remove the bodies off of older campers to put onto new chassis.

We would think that it would be a case of checing out underneath to see if it is bolted onto the outriggers and how it is blended into the cab but it can be done.

2: The easiest to fit would be the 6cly turbo diesel VW unit as used in the later LT's up to ,we think, 96 you should be able to pick one up easily they are on Ebay regular. Although we don't know how easy this will go in if the van has the 2litre engine in as, if we remember right, the engine cover is differant but you could always mod the cab floor and fit the correct one in.

3: Lots of people are braking these for parts you need to look in the yellow pages for VW breakers Like monkeyonboard said "just LT's" is one of those.

4:W think the cabs are all the same regardless of the model type - we had a 7.5 tonne MAN horsebox once that had the same cab as my LT 31 so the door will be easy to get.

Cheers

Simon & Kirsty

Edited by moocow
ABrennan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 07 at 20:07

Hope you're ready for this !!

what do you think ?

moocow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

If only....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 22:31
Originally posted by ABrennan ABrennan wrote:

Hope you're ready for this !!

what do you think ?

Can only see a red X you need to upload your photos to photobucket or a similar site and not paste them staright off your PC

Here is how to use photobucket:

1.Go to www.photobucket.com and fill out the necessary info.
2. Once you have registered and you have had a look around the site you need to find the ' add pictures' button.
3. Click on browse button this should pop up a 'choose file' window, Desktop, My Documents for example
4. Locate the folder/file that has the pictures in the you want to upload ( it may be easier to place a shortcut of the image on your desktop to begin with as it is easier to find).
5. Click the image that you want to upload, you may see something like P7110008.JPG which is a picture of my GMC or if you have renamed it you will see that name of the image.
6. Click 'upload' on the Photobucket site
7. You should now see your picture up on Photobucket

Now to get image from there to the forum follow the following steps.

1. Underneath your picture on Photobucket you will see four boxes 1st email , 2nd direct link  3rd HTML and 4th IMG
2. Highlight the 4th box ..........the Img box
3. Right click of the mouse and copy
4. Then paste it in to your message

Your picture should then be in your message

Cheers

SImon & Kirsty

Post Reply Post Reply