Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 LWB Camper Build...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35 LWB Camper Build...
    Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:09
Reet. Best get my build thread on here as well. 

Been keeping it up to date on the other channel as there seems to be more folks doing it over there. But gotta go here in summary form just so I can be abused eh ? Big smile

Base van is a 2005 LWB LT35. It's fucking mahoosive. 

Why did I sell a VERY good condition Westy Cali for it ? Kids basically. Current toddler is like a dynamo and there was no where we felt comfortable with in the westy for her to seep safely that didn't compromise us as well. 

And for some reason (despite having a tin top T4 for a while) the missus felt really claustrophobic in the Westy when the roof bed was down. 

Throw a second in to the mix at a later date and we need more space, but for whatever reason I'm not a coach built kinda guy yet.  

Hum and Hawed about MWB and probably what i was after, but went long in the end ! 

So we sold it a bought an Arctic ! Mechanically it is good. 77K with FSH. Whipped it over to Mazz who replaced Cam belt, water pump, all other belts and replaced front discs and pads - an serviced it. 

Bodywise....I don't know what I was smoking when I bought it ! There is no rot, but by fuck it's picked up some dints and bangs ! How noticeable seems to depend on the amount of sunlight ! 

I'll worry about that later. It's a camper and I've already had some knobber in a car park ding it. So all in all in doesn't matter if it pick up a bruise here and there as a result of being out and being used. 

I need to learn to drive it, no idea where the arse end of it is LOL

Plan was a double seat / bed at front lengthways and and a short double across the rear which would accommodate up to 2 kids with the option of a cab bunk to split them up if desired. 

dildo unit and storage in between, and roof lockers down both sides. 

Edited by traversd - 07 Jun 15 at 21:13
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:16
Posts might seem odd as I'm basically cutting and pasting from weeks ago :) 

So further progress made this weekend. 

400 x 400 Dometic Roof light up front and a 280 x 280  Fiamma Crystal Turbo (Build in Fan) at the back. Both offset so I can fit SUP / Surfboards up there. 

Also stuck in my Swivel drivers seat but no pics of that. 

Frame Bonding donew with Single cab pick upFLEX 512 and  the Rooflights bonded in with 712 which never permantently sets in case it even needs removing / tweaking.  That stuff is an absolute bar steward though ! Gets everywhere and it's like sh 1 t to a rabbits ars. 

I made a right meal of the front light with the Single cab pick up, but managed to do the 2nd a lot lot tidier. Turns out water is your friend here as daft as it sounds ! 

Had to cut through one of the small raised squares on the rear one, so built the level up on the top of the roof with mastic tape. 

If you are going with the Dometic Mini Heki then a template is a must ! they don't tell you about the external clearnaces required in the installation booklet. 

Also, if you are going for the Fiamma Turbo roof light, there is a step in the instructions for 'Prepare Electrical Connection' it doesn't say anything more than that and I pondered this and couldn't see what it meant. 

What it means is that you have to make sure you have a route out of the van for the power cable for the fan !! So for me this meant drilling through the inside plastic and then I had to router a channel in the frame (upside down! :eek:)

Roof light 1:

Measure, ponder, grump, measure, ponder, grump, make tea, measure, ponder, huff and puff, make tea, then get on with cutting !

Roof Light 2:

All in and Done:

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:17
Roof rails went on today. 

Bit of faffing around. And like a k nobber I mounted the 1st set of support brackets the wrong way round and I had stuck them down with mastic tape as well. Doh ! 

Used some ally spreader plates on the inside and bolted them in (M5 fits) as done by others. (As opposed to using the supplied screws)

Got the cross rails to go on as well. 

Also finished the silent coat in the rear of  the van. 

Was going to fit the Wind Out Awning and the solar panel mounts as well today but Rain stopped play :(

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:18
Right where was I....Bank holiday weekend and all that. 

Roof bar cross rails were fitted, Fiamma Windout Awning fitted, 100W Victron Blue Solar Panel was fitted, Some wiring was done, Reversing Camera was fitted. Ply floor was cut and test fitted. 

And this weekend, the ply floor was fitted properly, the vinyl flooring was cut to size a and test fitted, the remaining rivets were attacked with an angle grinder form removing the bulkhead, the stereo was replaced, rear speaker wires routed, microphone cable routed, cab and front doors silent coated, all cab trim cleaned and replaced (this took offing hours!!! some satans black mastic on the panels - buckets of white spirit and elbow grease) Headlining carpeted to match van and wheel arches carpeted. 

I've temporarily and not very well...covered the sun visors in carpet as a previous owner had used them both as a temporary notepad ! 

I'm knackered !!!

Cowboys had passed through here....

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:18
had one gf them days today. Perhaps a total rethink of my layout and fitted some pioneer 3 ways in the cab in front of the partial bulkhead that was left - About 4 times !!!

Turned out to be a er of a job. Had to redo the woodwork several times to get it to fit and I'm still not that happy with it. Plus it doesn't sound as good as I was expecting. 

Small mercies mind, slipped with a screw driver trying to put the mesh back on and very nearly had one speaker not two ! 

I also got the left and right cables mixed up ! Doh ! I'll re-do this at a later date i think, but for the moment it has taken up way too much time that should have been spent on the rear !

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:20
In progress terms there has been some more movement recently.

Visited the sterling chaps at Vandoc for windows. 2 x Sliders in Privacy. 

I had really considered going this bit myself as I've done everything else so far I was keen to go the whole hog, but having seen the professionalism and attention to detail that VanDoc produced, I am glad I went down that route. 

Scary Pics Below :D

Oh and a very useful tray back on the Drivers Seat :D:D

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:22
Hugely frustrating day today. Suspect Tonsillitis. Cue spending most of the day in bed asleep. Weekends are to be used for van finishing not sleeping, but I totally wiped myself out just clearing up all the bits of tape and insulation I had left in there from last weekend. 

Anyways, I have two sliding windows in now, and the insulation is completed. 

Gratuitous shots of insulation, I just don't think there are enough of them on this forum :DI:

by the way, my top tip is to only use 25mm Celotex if you are going that route. I started with 25 and 50mm and used 50mm for the deeper recesses. But it's a total pain in the crack to get the right cut size and angle to make sure it comes close enough to the edges to make the tape join up with the bodywork. 

I did the rest in 2 layers of 25mm and this was MUCH easier. 

Sliding Door Window In:

Insulation Done: (Although Going to neaten up the backdoor taping)

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:23
Carpeting hath begun....

Drivers Side Window:

Rear Door Panel Carpet:

Light nights help, but still ! 

Side Panel - A Lot of carpet and Glue !

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:24
Got the bank holiday weekend away in the Van after two late night sessions getting the carpeted panels up and floor down. 

Picked up the bed as well. Which will need to be secured. Got Rowlsey lined up to fix it so it's still standing if the van disintegrates around it :D

Think once everything is in we will enjoy the space. Glad we went for the bigger bed in the end.

sliding door 'Picture Frame' Panel up tonight before her indoors got home and I was on child duty...

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:25
Roof Going up. Have finished, but not got a final pic yet. Went up in 2 pieces in the end. 

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 21:26
Got them chuffing upper panels fitted eventually ! 

Frustrating as the suppleness of the ply means the edges of the panels and roof aren't always together tightly the whole length of the van. 

Also more joins than I wanted but I didn't want to shell out for extra wood when I had enough there. They will all be hidden bar one by the roof lockers anyway. 

That's me onto building a bid to house the electrics and get the furniture built ! 

Some weeks later.......

After much faffing and cutting and measuring, trial runs at edging and fixing brackets, I have my first lightweight unit done.

booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 22:07
Looking good so far
You have more carpet in there than in my house
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 15 at 22:37
Very nice, particularly the windows in the sliding doors, and good to see copy and paste get caught by the swear filter.LOL

?How long has that taken you? 

Dearly Beloved keeps asking when she can help. 'When I get the metalwork finished' is the answer.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 07 Jun 15 at 22:38
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 15 at 06:25
Cheers chaps. It's a lot of graft that's for sure.

Taken about 3 and a half months I think to get to this stage.

Time on it is very restricted though.

I would happily do more late nights on it, but at this stage it is mostly saw work and most of the houses in my street have kids.

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 15 at 21:03
Chipping away at the furniture build. Slow progress.

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 15 at 22:46
Shaping up daz, you cutting doors in?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 15 at 06:23
Yes bud. Bricking it about that but cos fucking up there means starting again and also wasting a load of expensive wood !

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 15 at 12:13
Ball achingly slow progress at the mo with various other things going on....

Have managed to create my first router template for the one of the side units doors and drawers.

Took several hours to get that measure up and cut out right ! 

Have had a practice run on some scrap ply and it wasn't too bad. 

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 07:04
Chip, Chip, Chipping away at those units....

Hats of to folk that do this for a living, there is a HELL of a lot of graft in there !!!

A CNC machine would be the bomb right about now !

Thought I had got things drastically wrong at one point as the knock on trim for the drawers wouldn't shape to the radius that I had gone with.

Plenty of heat and some stretching and it worked out in the end. Could be a slightly better finish, but not bad for a first attempt.

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 11:35
Fan bloody tastic daz
That looks like a professional finish.
You must be chuffed
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>