FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLT35 - No power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35 - No power
    Posted: 22 Jun 07 at 10:46
I've a 1996 Karmann LT35 (2.4 6 cyl) motorhome and it has lost all it's power. Previously would cruise at 70 and I could tow my Land Rover and trailer.

Now won't go over 50 and have to go right down the gears to get up hills. When reving the turbo pipe seems to pressurise OK but there is very little pressure out the exhaust - doesn't have a CAT fitted just one large box so not a blocked CAT.

The problem seems to have occured after having a service at VW dealer but this may be a coincidence.

Any ideas?
dub dub campers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 07 at 09:59
check if getting enough air through (remove air box/filter), and also check fuel not blocking in fiter,
dub dub
Stuart Roper,
Lampeter, Mid Wales
07966 270767,
dubdubcampers@aol.com
mariner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 07 at 18:11

I have a similar problem with an 1986 LT35  camper that I have been test driving lately. It is impossible to get more than 42 miles per hour from it. It has a six cylinder diesel engine . It has been suggested that LTs from that period were underpowered ,this being so ,is there anyway, short of changing the engine, to improve power ? . Were they specifically designed for "city" use and would changing the back axle have any positive effect?.Surely they should travel faster than 42 mph?

landy3583 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 14:20
"Surely they should travel faster than 42 mph?"

Mine easily did 70 when I took it for a test drive
mariner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 18:30

I wish the one I've been test driving would do 70mph ,but it doesn't .Some people say that that particular model, for that year was underpowered and will not do much more than 42mph ,while others suggest that there is something wrong with the engine in mine. So, I'm hoping that there is someone out there driving an LT of similar date and model who could tell me how their van rates .

mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 07 at 21:02
Ive got a 1990 2.4td and cruise about 55 as it gets a bit loud in the cab but have took it up to 70 now and then just to overtake but it does sound like the engine is screaming could do with beter gear ratio as you never use 1st.
VWDan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 07 at 18:37

Mines a 1978 with the Perkins 2.7 litre 4 cylinder diesel engine and a HUGE motorhome body on the back, and it'll cruise at 55 all day although sometimes does lose power on the hills.  It'll reach 60+ but gets too noisy and sounds like its gonna go bang, so I stick to the inside lane and cruise with the HGV's

Unfortunately its also for sale

boss man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 07 at 13:34

Originally posted by landy3583 landy3583 wrote:

I've a 1996 Karmann LT35 (2.4 6 cyl) motorhome and it has lost all it's power. Previously would cruise at 70 and I could tow my Land Rover and trailer.

Now won't go over 50 and have to go right down the gears to get up hills. When reving the turbo pipe seems to pressurise OK but there is very little pressure out the exhaust - doesn't have a CAT fitted just one large box so not a blocked CAT.

The problem seems to have occured after having a service at VW dealer but this may be a coincidence.

Any ideas?

HAS THE PIPE TO THE BPE HOUSING BEEN KNOCKED OFF?

( FROM INLET PIPE ON O/S TO TOP OF FUEL INJ. PUMP)

THAT WOULD CAUSE POOR POWER OUTPUT.

landy3583 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 07 at 15:06
All pipes, filters etc seem to be OK. I'm heading off in it this weekend but have it booked into a diesel turbo expert to run some tests when I get back.

Will let you know how I get on
 Post Reply Post Reply