The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT46 spec

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT46 spec
    Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 20:02
hi, anyone got a handbook and can tell me the gross train weight for a LT46 with 2.5TDi engine please, I'm guessing 7.5 tonne so 2.9 trailed weight but I'd like to know, that may be 2.8 only
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 21:13
Check you VIN plate. It is on there on some vehicles. 

If it is not there, according to dvla if no weight is displayed, then it is deemed as not suitable for towing. It is also not that straight forward either, so I am learning today.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 21:55
the info i give you is from vw`s own technical information data booklet,
a lt46 regardless of if 2.5 or 2.8 van or chassie is... gross train weight of 6600kgs...

beware of this one which i found with my lt35... the max trailer weight (braked) is only 2000kgs
unbraked is 750kgs
 nose weight is 100kgs  

so yours 4600kgs vehicle can pull 2000kgs = total 6600kgs, you can not take weight off van/chassie and add to trailer,

you should have a plate on the drivers b pillar which will give the axles and gross train weight,

this is from the vw`s own booklet for year 2003 for the lt range and also in the technical data i have with the handbook
basically what ever the lt is ie lt28 you add 2000kgs for gross train weight

Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 15 at 10:23
thanks for the replies, one I'm looking at has tow bar fitted and tacho so clearly is ok to tow, just 300 miles away so couldn't see the plate info and info not easy to find online suprisinglyso it was easiest to ask someone with the booklet
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 15 at 11:13
This from the other story I am keeping up with. It is in a private forum, but the example given is rather worrying.

one unfortunate guy was being done £1000 for overloading a disco with a small caravan on the back even though it was fitted with a factory towbar and lighting, because as per the vin plate it is not suitable for towing, the one thing they where designed to do. I have spoken with L/R regarding this and they have no answer.

Hopefully all is well.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 15 at 12:24
Aidan, the lt46 had tacho fitted from new, more than likely is speed restricted as well, you will need to find out thou if the van has been downrated at all to a 3500 model (lt35), if not there should be a test plate from vosa fitted as its over 3.5t, this is a square plate with a red plate cert inside, this will tell you weights and gross tow weight, 
 Post Reply Post Reply