The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT89 Project starts........about time too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 14 at 10:09
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

Tomorrow? Wink

?You got nothing better to do Mat?Wink

I found the camera alright but far too late to do the resizing necessary for this forum.Sleepy

As you can see from the last two I have started the tin-bashing part of my apprenticeship. Cutting the shape is not difficult, inspired use of a cutting disc, and bending the 90* is not either, but now comes the stretching part. I found a couple of suitable tools for this, ie a 2lb hammer head and a 3" billet of steel. I used an 80grit flapdisc on the hammer head to clean out the divots, and will get the panel closer to where it is meant to be today.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 20:45
I have been doing stuff, honest, just not updating.

I thought the first metal bashing bash was going quite well...a bit more hitting and all will be well. Wrong again Chris old stick. I think I was trying to stretch too much material, so I cut out the bends, flattened the panels' ends and made card templates in order to make them separately. Then did the other side in method number two. A flat with the bend and the two formed sections individually.

An old model making trick, though probably other trades too, is the mouse, or in this instance, a cunningly shaped pencil. The line is easily marked parallel to the floor by shuffling the spacer around.

The templates. Due to an oversight I had to add a taper to the rear one. No harm done, just my pride. The green thing at the bottom of the picture, and at various other point throughout this lamentable diatribe, is a closed cell PE foam panel which, I think, was a garden kneeler type thing. Absolutely worth it, since there is nothing worse than having to spend days kneeling on a corrugated steel floor.
I put the camera down and lost it again.Clown so there are some gaps in proceedings. All tacked and puddle welded. The two formed sections were not quite positioned properly, so they have pulled the floor panel a bit. Not gorgeous by any means, but strong and functional.The tacking went really well, but the little bits of running weld are, in the main, abysmal. Back to short tacks dodging between the new 0.9mm and the unknownium that the van is constructed of. 

I had to start packing up, so the lot got primed, which will need cleaning off before I do any more. The weather forecast dictated such.

Thank you and good night, I am retiring to my sconce-laden castle with a flashlight for a torch.Wink
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Rabbit 16v View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 14 at 03:34
Haha!! Do you put your flashlight in the sconce?
Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 14 at 05:52
Yes, but only on the weekend.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Rabbit 16v View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 14 at 06:35
Lol!! Weekend discounted rates? Sconce rental and all that?
Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 14 at 14:07
Sitting at home waiting for the MOT call and looking back through some of the horrific pictures contained here, since I know fine well that it will be the next job to do. Although I had been through them before, and linked them to LorryLoader too, I must have missed the VW Classic Parts sticker on some of the panels used. Some are still available.

281801253B is the long mid section skirt support £72
281801265B is the short rear skirt support £35
281801169A is the cab step with the cross stiffening. £59

Not all are in stock and not both sides, and the cost is considerable but if you have the funds, it will certainly cut down on the man-hours required in fabricating new panels. I probably looked when I first saw the German thread and have put it out of my mind due to cost.Ouch

VW LT Camper not Cramper

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 14 at 00:32
Nice work Always good to follow a LT being given a makeover. Your welding is very good, especially considering you have never done it before. None of the usual pigeon s**t (like me, when I first started), nice good runs.

You do realise one thing though? Now you have started, it's never going to end
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 14 at 07:32
Thanks Dave, my very first ones were a bit crap, in all senses, but a bit of on the job practise does work wonders.

I had another look underneath yesterday in preparation for the week after the Late Summer Meet. That is when I start cutting the skirts and supports out. Not as bad as I thought, it is the back step which is the big bit........ and the back corners which are not really there at all...........and the bottom of the body pillars which do not appear  to be attached to much at all....... 

VW LT Camper not Cramper

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 14 at 10:08
It's all good practice for the next project

You mentioned earlier struggling to see the welds and wandering off course. A good tip is to lay something like a bit of angle with one of the edges facing up along side the weld. When you are welding the light will reflect off the angle and you will be able to see the area better. And/or if the area you are welding is curved or underneath for example so you can't use something to reflect light against, use engineers chalk. Mark a thick line either side of the weld. It draws your eye to the weld area and because it is white it is easier to see.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 14 at 10:27
Originally posted by volition82 volition82 wrote:

It's all good practice for the next project

You mentioned earlier struggling to see the welds and wandering off course. A good tip is to lay something like a bit of angle with one of the edges facing up along side the weld. When you are welding the light will reflect off the angle and you will be able to see the area better. And/or if the area you are welding is curved or underneath for example so you can't use something to reflect light against, use engineers chalk. Mark a thick line either side of the weld. It draws your eye to the weld area and because it is white it is easier to see.

Like the tip's will try this out also.Thumbs Up
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 14 at 21:17
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

...Late Summer Meet....

I like that. Maybe we should even abbreviate... LSM? Or how about VWLTLSM? LOL
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 14 at 10:50
After the weekend away and seeing some lovely vans.....and people.....I got loads done on MondayLOL
Shopping, washing, cleaning, dishes and a couple of hours doing maths with Littl'un.

Tuesday was better did my machining for a better bender ready for the chassis fabrication which is to follow.

I am finishing off the other bits now-ish, but will be cutting the step and back end off later. Both doors need to be opened, it is very heavy and too low, and very badly corroded, so it has to go.

Since it is between the chassis rails, I doubt the doorframe will shrink. Putting some kind of support between the door pillars is getting done, when I find something long enough.

?Any further advice?

DSCN0509.JPGDSCN0508.JPG

The joy I will have later this week doing the 'filling in' will follow.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 14 at 16:46
Could you get a body cut to let in?

It may save a bit of time and head scratching.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 14 at 18:15
Nice idea, I had not considered that, too big and complicated. If I had thought of that, ?Would it have been easier? I suppose I would still need to restrain the doorframe.

I have the rear valance and corners, and apart from that, I have this week, a lot of which has gone.Cry

I have a good reference, http://www.lt-freunde.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=7146, with all the lovely pictures of what I am missing, and also ideas on how to fix it, and better than that methods of aligning panels and so on. Frame drawings too, very useful.

I will be using a flat panel for floor but with some stiffeners too rather than bending the floor pan profile.

Choppy chop chop starts tomorrow.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 14 at 11:20
A little garage welding and then outside and underneath.

That did not last long.....broken grinder, and since my other one went pop yesterday, everything stops. So bolt the step in back where I had just cut it from.Angry Thankfully I did not have a gaping hole where it used to be, and no way of locking the doors.

Grinder search begins.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 14 at 11:47
I am going to have my lunch and then off out to get one of these two. 

?Any comments? All my brushes etc are M14 hence the choices.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 14 at 14:56
I'd go for the Makita, partly because of the 3 year guarantee, but also as mine has lasted 10 years+. That said, I did have a problem with the armature last year, but spares were still available so easily fixed. But I have a couple of DeWalt bits of kit too, and they feel well built so you probably wouldn't go far wrong with either.

Do you like green or yellow? LOL
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 14 at 17:05
I came back with two DW4050, without spanners, if you can really believe it. I hoped it was a batch problem, but it appears not.

As it happens yellow is the colour which is probably going to grace the van once everything is done.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 14 at 17:55
Now I am clean, the rest.

One of the bumper mounts was held on by the tiny little strip of bright metal visible below. It also shows how much crap had accumulated. The other side was better, though not by much. It had two bolts. The centre two had been replaced with some 50x50 angle to hang the towbar from. They are off too. though they were welded to the chassis rails.

The extra cross member was next to go, and that was it for today.

I did make a 4x2 to fit the doorframe but it has not budged one iota.

More tomorrow.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 14 at 02:19
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

I came back with two DW4050, without spanners, if you can really believe it. I hoped it was a batch problem, but it appears not.

As it happens yellow is the colour which is probably going to grace the van once everything is done.

Good man for yellow. I would suggest getting some marine paint. High solids count and...duh....meant to be in the water. (I would of taken the Makita, BTWWink)
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>