The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT89 Project starts........about time too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 14 at 11:55
Finished the fancy new bender, damn rough but quick, and have figured out the section required for the part between the chassis rails, Part6 and the section of Part3 that it used to be attached to. A 3" piece of 2mm was a proper doddle, so I will see if I can do the 720mm required in two pieces.LOL

If not, cutty cut cut.

Yeah, I know, design trauma.

Edit: The bender worked on half a bend, though the radii were a bit big. The bench, to which the vice is fixed too did not survive. Back to the think-tank.Ouch

Edited by LTCamper89 - 03 Oct 14 at 13:15
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 14 at 17:38
The cross member is  shaped, that is an 'L' trapped by two 'U' channels with feet. The top pokes out by 30mm and the bottom by 16mm, which is not clear in the diagram due to the direction of viewing. 

A bit of a think and I ended up welding all the panels I had just cut back together. Trust me for being optimistic. Three hours later, I have one of the channels, fully fabricatedShocked Good winds will see the other one done and the lot in tomorrow.......just checked the weather for tomorrow, rain from 4.00am til 4.00pmCry

I know how it is going back together but it has been a trying day.

Time for a Beer
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 14 at 13:19
Sod all Saturday, followed by Sunday and the shattering realisation that what I have is not enough. More of the cross member needs to be removed.Angry

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 18:49
All sorts of mess made today.Thumbs Up

Rear cross member is very nearly done, and guess what.......rain.

Due to reporting restrictions the big picture update will have all the juicy shots whereas this thread will get these three.

Not very tidy in there but it is properly melty where it matters.
You can form an orderly queue to give me a big slap for not painting the inside before doing this....

The little tags are for pulling the panel level with the lower edge. Weld, pull, weld, cut. Repeat as required.

Grinding like billyo got me this.

The inside part is done and in, so I will be attempting to weld overhead tomorrow.LOLLOLLOLLOL

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 15 at 20:06
About time I got something else done. Two good days, and more to come.Big smile

Not much chance over the winter due to being outside, so after realising that the more I removed the more I would need to remove, I bit the proverbial bullet and ordered a bunch of bits from Brickwerks. It is remarkable what is still available from VW. Nothing you really need, just big bits no-one else has wanted.

The short version is that I am renewing everything below the floorline from rear wheel to rear wheel, and 50mm above the floorline, body ribs included.Cry

I needed to modify one of the panels, from the internal rear corner of the chassis to the wheelarch. The only one available was the OS with a dint for the fuel filler, so a bit of cutting and bending in the opposite direction gave me the NS panel.Thumbs Up 

The whole of the rear member was done earlier in the year, but I had not realised that the fixing holes in it were for a single rear door closure. I cannot see how I could have spotted this before ordering, but it is in now and I will need to cut a piece out in order to recify the situation.

Areks' panels will be covering everything up. I have had these for over a year, but the quality difference is obvious against the OEM VW parts. I know AndyVan has mentioned that they need a bit of 'fettling, just like any others' so it just means more practise with the grinder. It does make it difficult to visualise what you need to cut away when they are not trimmed.

No camera, no pictures.Ouch

Tomorrow looks like it will be nice until 5pm, so I will get some more done.Big smileBig smile

VW LT Camper not Cramper

timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 20:20
Looking forward to the next update Chris :)
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 20:57
I found a picture.

The back chassis cross member is all in and the other side under the floor is just as bad, or it would be if there was anything there. 

The bit which appears to be floating in mid-air is the outer bumper bracket mount. Absolutely sod all use that then.LOL

I am saving the fuel filler shroud so I can move the fuel filler hose up from below the floor. It gives all sorts of difficulties filling at some stations.

I will probably get some more done soon, just not Friday.....a bit wet allegedly.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 21:12
Enjoying reading this.

Good to see others taking the time to do this sort of work, makes me realise i'm not the only nutcase that likes spending his time burning holes in things (usually myself, but i've got me a nice red leather welders jacket now, hurrah no more hot blobs of weld down my sleeves!)

I must make the effort to take more pics as i go along, just never seem to bother till it's too late.

Keep calm and carry on Welding/Cutting/Bashing/Bending/Painting/Cursing *

*Delete as appropriate Wink

LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 21:48
Keep the phone or camera in a sealed box or bag when not taking pictures. Cutting dust gets everywhere.Angry

VW LT Camper not Cramper

BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 21:55
That makes 3 nutters (including me) out there with the technology to rebuild
1995 LT 35 Self Built Camper 2.4 TDI
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 22:13
You are way passed that stage Al, you are on number 2.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234