The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New LT35 158 Camper Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redsurfbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New LT35 158 Camper Project
    Posted: 14 Jul 13 at 14:36
Hi all,
I have ventured over here from the t4 forum as I no longer have a T4. Miss getting waved at all the time in my old caravelle and starting to convert my new skip.

I have a blog with the first two stages documented http://www.redsurfbus.com/2013/06/camper-and-windsurf-van-conversion-part.html

Currently have a living room full of parts and upholstery and no time to get on with it. Should find the time next week.

So far I have insulated, tidied up the previous owners ply lining. Had altro flooring put it, put in 2 windows and leisure battery with intelligent split charge relay. Started carpetting the doors, but will do the walls once I have the bed in place.

I need ideas for a windsurfing conversion. Currently I am planning on having the bed about 1m up off the floor, with kit going in at an angle along the RHS. The noses of the boards and the sails will end up under the sink unit under the sliding window (smev 9222 combination). I am planning on doing a bench seat behind the passenger with storage under. The bed will be an odd shape, allowing for sleeping as a double width ways, with me at an angle. The LHS of the bed will lift off and move down onto the wheel arch as more seating, this will be usable forwards or backwards so you can sit looking out of hte back of the van.

Any ideas on how to store windsurfing kit under a bed would be appreciated. The idea is to use it every day for windsurf and getting to and from work, but with a decent livable camper conversion. My caravelle worked as a camper but was too much of a compromise for both requirements - not quite enough room for kit, and not enough room to stay in the van while camping other than to sleep.

Cheers
www.redsurfbus.com
Powered by Hot Sails Maui, Exocet Boards, Black Project Fins and Chinook parts.
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 13 at 09:10
welcome to LT35 ownership, you won't look back!!

Great blog, keep us updated on the conversion Thumbs Up
Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 13 at 10:16
Can't help with any specific windsurfing ideas, but the floor looks like a good idea to keep the metalwork dry. Look forwards to more updates!

You may find this section of the forum rather quiet as we're mostly LT1 owners on here. I don't know what D&D means about not looking back - I do that all the time to see how long the queue is! LOL
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
redsurfbus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redsurfbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 13 at 18:43
Thanks for the encouragement. This thing is rapid compared to my old auto velle. It was the 102 but with 4 gears and a lot of weight 75 up hills was as much as I could get.....this thing accelerates past 90 up a hill (not that I have tried for legal reasons ;))

The floor is great, it was expensive (£380 fitted...and TBH I ended up finishing the trims off). Next time I will have a go with the Altro stuff myself, cant be that hard really - I have just learnt how to thread a sewing machine and most things are easy compared to that I reckon.

I only stumbled on the van by accident when my auto box packed up, thought it was going to be an easy fix (small leak) which turned into a full rebuild the next week.....the day it happened I saw the LT for £3500 on ebay, I had been looking for a bigger red van for ages as well.......no one bidded and I went for it. 54,000 miles and an immaculate engine, few scuffs on the paint so if the engine is still good in a few years it will get a respray as a treat :D......£2000 on bits to go in are sat on my living room floor. Carpeted the ceiling last night, not an easy job with only one pair of hands.
www.redsurfbus.com
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redsurfbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 13 at 21:36
www.redsurfbus.com
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 13 at 15:37
Great blog. Always interesting following a camper conversion. Can i ask how much having a window fitted costs? I take it, it was bonded?
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 13 at 18:16
Great work so far chap. Keep it up!!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redsurfbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 13 at 20:37
Originally posted by volition82 volition82 wrote:

Great blog. Always interesting following a camper conversion. Can i ask how much having a window fitted costs? I take it, it was bonded?

Cheers. Windows were fitted by AAW in Poole, £150+ministers pocket money for the fixed, £275+mp second home fees for the slider. Worked out as £510 overall. I went to our local van fitter who has built a good reputation but they wanted £700+vat and the other reasonably local one was half way in between. Really happy with the job, look perfect, they are not limo tint, think they are the grade below (80%?)

I would like the rear quarters done as well (loved the panoramic views from the velle!) but I think the bed will end up half way up them.

Do you think it would be possible to fill the voids and then black it out....I am thinking something like this

Edited by redsurfbus - 17 Jul 13 at 20:38
www.redsurfbus.com