The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New seats!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New seats!
    Posted: 18 May 13 at 20:45
I'd been wanting to update the seat trim for a while - the cushions were from the donor caravan. Finally got round to it (and been able to afford it!) They suggested re-using my existing foam which saved quite a bit on the price.

Before:

And now:

They've even notched the foam to fit the cushion neatly around the metalwork:

The place I used was http://www.martrim.co.uk and they did a great job. A mate of mine recommended them to me after they did his T4. Just got the cab seats to do now but that might have to wait until next year!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 13 at 09:40
They look fantastic Mat, Thumbs Up  Looks to be top quality work, nice to see.
When you have the cab seats done, its worth having arm rests fitted if you dont already have them. Makes driving long distances so much more comfortable.
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 13 at 12:46
Nice job.  It never ceases to amaze me how expensive having seats made or re-covered is.  Vulgar to ask I know but how much is it to re-cover the front seats? 

Dreamcatcher - How do you go about attaching arm rests?  Can you get universal ones?

Edited by volition82 - 19 May 13 at 14:21
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 13 at 14:06
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

(and been able to afford it!) 

I know how that feels. I have disposable income now, though not a lot, and do not know what to do first.

Very nice, Mat, simple and effective. Not a common colour choice, but each to their own. It will go well with the mint outside paint.

Your original seats looked very similar to our first suite we bought in 1990, I think. Changed it about three years ago, still had plenty of life left in it.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 13 at 19:50
Very nice Mat and very well done also  ,plus easy to keep clean. Will keep the link you posted.
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 13 at 21:40
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

I have disposable income now, though not a lot, and do not know what to do first.

Well, I don't actually have any extra money as yet, but have just had a pay rise plus have almost finished a car for sale, so that should pay off the overdraft I've just gone into! To cover the front seats would be in the region of £300 I think from a very rough ballpark figure he gave. Even if I'd had the money spare I'd probably have been reluctant to spend it just in case they didn't look very good but now I've seen how the rear ones have come out I'm confident they'd do a proper job.

Regarding the armrest, I have a spare Focus front seat knocking about which has an armrest fitted - what I could do is cut that out and weld it into the LT seat frame. That shoudl keep the price down as fabrication I can do, upholstery I cannot!

Thanks for the compliments; I left the colour choice to SWMBO and it does look good. The camera makes it look slightly colder than in real life I think.
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 05:32
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

I left the colour choice to SWMBO and it does look good. 

Dearly Beloved wants 50s diner, Littl'un wants fluorescent pink. Needless to say, it is not getting done yet.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 09:18
How about one side in each? LOL Then it's a win win!
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 10:03
Thats not a bad price for the front seats.  I was quoted around the £400 mark.

So the only way to fit arm rest is to weld them in?  Shame, I could really do with a couple.  Just can't get my arm postion comfortable when driving the LT.

1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 10:59
There may be another way but I can't think of how you'd do it. I tend to rest my right arm on the window and TBH haven't had a problem with the left, but an armrest would probably be good.
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 11:42
Originally posted by volition82 volition82 wrote:

Dreamcatcher - How do you go about attaching arm rests?  Can you get universal ones?
The first cab seats I had uphoulstered in Nottingham  were T3 and they fitted the rests, I think the bosses were welded.

This firm does kits for various seats but if yours is not listed you may need to modify the seat/fixing.
You can view a PDF of the instructions on their site.
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
 Post Reply Post Reply