Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please help, what engine do I have??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 19:15
Bosch number crosses over to a JX pump too, so not an error in Etka 

Could it be a frankenstein pump built to run better on the TDI?

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 19:15
If its legal to drive take it for a good drive on A roads and big hills, will soon find out if engine/pump combo work ok.
Heard of local fella who had a Tdi with IDI pump with no other mods, did telegraph hill in 2nd , foot flat to floor doing 15mph..........

Edited by ELVIS - 23 Oct 12 at 19:16
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Jim D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 19:24
yea, its legal to drive. last mot only had advisories of slight play in wheel bearings. 

we drove it back from north devon and it did the hills on the A361 fine and only really dropping to 40. but the van was empty to be fair. 
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 19:26
Is that not just a diesel leak from one of the return pipes? In the photo one of them is not seated properly, and they are very prone to splitting. It's the small braided cloth tubes on your injectors.
I think you're probably right Micheal that the pumps a bit of a Heinz built for the job.

Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 19:28
What kind of smelly? Eyes burning or blue oil smoke? I would guess its unburnt fuel rather than oil due to incomplete combustion...timing will be random, injectors will be unlikely to be seeing enough fuel unless its got a big pump head on there from a disco or summat..doubt that but maybe...
Jim D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 19:42
Originally posted by timmythedog timmythedog wrote:

Is that not just a diesel leak from one of the return pipes? In the photo one of them is not seated properly, and they are very prone to splitting. It's the small braided cloth tubes on your injectors.
I think you're probably right Micheal that the pumps a bit of a Heinz built for the job.

possibly, it was also leaking out of no. 2. that did have a split in the pipe. I got some new ones (unfortunately not including one to return to the pump) and that solved that problem. Haven't been able to get a longer piece just yet. Also i did snip about 1omm from the end but didn't do anything. 

The new ones i got were smaller in diameter so i thought maybe the wrong size had been put on. 
Jim D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 19:57
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

What kind of smelly? Eyes burning or blue oil smoke? I would guess its unburnt fuel rather than oil due to incomplete combustion...timing will be random, injectors will be unlikely to be seeing enough fuel unless its got a big pump head on there from a disco or summat..doubt that but maybe...

to be honest. I'm not quite sure as i'm new to all this mechanical stuff. I know that it smells bad and kinda lingers. 

when we pulled away from the drive the other day there was blue smoke so i'm guessing its burning oil.

The previous owners said they went through an astonishing 3.5 litres to 1000 miles. but i think they were pushing it a bit too hard. 

so perhaps the pump isn't strong enough for the engine? 

Would more pictures help? 
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 21:08
Highly unlikely that pump will be allowing the tdi to run anywhere near its potential. You need either a suitable mtdi pump or get an etdi set up done. Oil use could be engine stuffed. Turbo worn or breather system not right. Could even be partly down to pump / timing all to pot.

Lee.
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12