URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31585
Printed Date: 27 Nov 20 at 16:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Welding
Posted By: AndyT
Subject: Welding
Date Posted: 11 Oct 08 at 04:35
Hi Folks,

Feel free to chip in with advice or other comments, and I'll consolidate things so It doesn't get too long.

First thing is that even if you haven't welded before its not that difficult so don't be put off.

Purchasing the correct equipment can be expensive but will save you money in the longer term, particularly if you've got an older bus like mine.

General Advice

Most people can't fit their van in their garage so are restricted to welding outdoors, this means that you may need to buy a gasless mig welder.
In many cases they are able to use gas as well but check before buying.

If you choose to use gas then there are several "mixes" available, and with experience you will probably obtain a better quality weld.

Clean the area you intend to weld thoroughly, this will highlight any weak/rusty spots and will save you time in the long run.

Best site I know for general advice and tips is:-

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ - http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Safety

Never ever start welding without a mask, don't even pick up the tool. At best its painful (red weeping eyes etc), at worst its blindness.

If possible have someone on hand with a spray bottle, to put out any fires.
Paint, underseal etc are all flamable and care must be taken at all times.

If working with someone, get into the habit of shouting "eyes" before you strike a weld.
This way they know to look away.

If working on your own, stop regularly to check for fire/smoke, and make damn sure you can get out of the vehicle, or from underneath it double quick.

When working on vehicles it is recommended that you disconnect the battery, just make sure you have the codes for the radio etc before you do so.

The Welder

These are available  for about £150, mine is a SIP 130amp and has given good service for the last 6/7 years without any problems Modern welders probably give more control but I don't have any experience of them, so can't recommend anything.
Basic welders like mine can weld upto 6mm thick steel which is fine for vehicles.

The Mask

Very important in my view is to buy the electronic mask, which allows you to see what you are doing, and goes dark once you start welding.

Going to cost you about £70, but you only get one pair of eyes, using  the standard mask is safe if you know what you are doing, but be bloody careful if you don't.

Practicing

Once you have bought the equipment you are going to be itching to practice, so what do you need.

Any mild steel is suitable for tbis but be prepared to clean up about an inch or so either side of where you intend to weld, serves 2 purposes, you don't mix paint etc into the weld which reduces strength,  its easier to strike a weld, and there is less chance of starting a fire which you can't see through the mask easily.

Other Equipment

I use a 4" angle grinder £20ish for clean up work and a good quality wire brush for cleaning up the weld.
Angle grinders are versatile if noisy, you can buy grinding disks, cutting disks and wire brush attachments quite cheaply.
All of these last a long time so running costs are low.

I also use:-

A sheet metal bender from Screwfix for £50ish.
Different clamps from Machine Mart @ £12 for 4.
Niblex from Frost @£28 (like drawing on paper but you are cutting metal)

Actual Repairs

Firstly have a look at the Welding Projects topic, if you are new to welding LT's then you could get some useful tips about your particular problem.

For general bodywork I use 0.9mm sheet, and for chassis work 1.2mm or thicker.
The problem with thicker steel is that its harder to bend to shape, anything over 1.2mm is beyond my equipment, so I don't use it very often.

That's all for now, more to follow as others offer their advice.

Cheers

Andy

-------------
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Replies:
Posted By: mikebdomain
Date Posted: 13 Oct 08 at 16:19
Hi Andy

Some great advice there - although I could never get on with a gasless welder - I use argon with a SIP Topmig 150 turbo - mind you probably something to do with the fact that I can only seem to weld with 1mm wire.

My advice for practicing 'starting out' welding is

Turn your gas on (if it has gas)
Set your welder up on the lowest wire feed speed and on the power setting for the sheet thickness you are welding with (consult your manual)
Hold the welding torch at a slight angle about 5-10mm away from a bit of scrap metal, pull the trigger and turn the wire feed up slowly until you hear a nice constant crackling sound.
Once you have the constant crackling sound off to a tea - move the torch with a slight left to right motion.

Some people drag the wel others push - I prefer to drag it.

A couple of points
Never weld without a mask (you will wake up in the midle of the night screaming in pain...been there)
And find a suitable mask that you can actually see through once you are welding..

-------------
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion

Date Posted: 13 Oct 08 at 18:12
Thanks for the post mate, nice to get a second opinion and some more tips.

I've just added a link to a website which has movies and stuff which should be of interest to beginners

-------------
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Posted By: team french
Date Posted: 13 Oct 08 at 19:16
with gas you should push with cored wire(non gas) you generaly drag. tho as above these arent hard and fast. for other equipment an edge setter or joggler is handy. the hand/plier type cost about £35. for pannel repairs id say its a must realy. and sanding disks(with the backing disk type) can be better than grinding disks on thin sheet and paint removal and also cheaper!

-------------
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!

Posted By: thal
Date Posted: 13 Oct 08 at 19:41
Hi new electronic weldimg masks on E bay from about £25

Date Posted: 13 Oct 08 at 19:47
Mine's a Speedglass which I bought from BOC years ago, shades from 3 to 11.
11 is fine for welding but to be honest I'd recommend a 2/11 if they are available.
Damn good price tho.

P.S. Batteries last 2000 hours or there abouts so running costs are none existent.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 08 at 19:50
Sounds like a few links to suppliers etc might be useful.

Machine Mart are sometimes good for pliers/wire etc and for magnetic clamps etc I use Frost.co.uk

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 08:00

I found wire brush fitments for the grinder do the job brilliantly - don't waste your money on the cheap one though they last about five minutes and are a real false economy. I use the twisted wire type and one lasted my whole last project.

-------------
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion

Date Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 09:34
Screwfix are good for gasless wire If you do gasless you know different wire can give vastly different results the wire I get from screwfix Is very good. Nice even welds with little spatter and easy to grind back for a good finnish on thin metal.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 09:43
hmmm I will have to try that on my gasless mig. The last load of gasless wire I got was from B&Q and I was sure I was using a plasma cutter and not a welder - it cut a perfect clean line where ever I tried to weld and that was on the lowest power setting.

-------------
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion

Date Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 21:23
Mike,

Have you got a code for the B&Q wire, can see where this could be useful even if it was a bad batch etc.
I've only used wire from SIP and some wire I bought on the internet which is excellent but cost £30ish for 5kg quite a while ago. I'll find the box, check it out and post details later.

Cheers

Andy

P.S. I'll start a new thread for welding pics in a bit and migrate your post later if that's OK.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 08:27
To be honest Andy, I lost my temper with the damn stuff and the gasless welder has been thrown at the back of my shed - never to be used again.... I think the wire is still in the machine I will try and have a look at the weekend.

I am quite happy with my gas welder now and as I am able to get a good solid weld, not pretty, but solid, the guy at the MOT station said it was some of the best hobby welding he  had seen for a long time (although he may have been gay...)  and at the moment I have no intention of going back to gasless - although if I did, I think I would have a go with the screwfix wire that Thal is on about.

-------------
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion

Date Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 10:09
P.S - LOL a thread for welding pics... better make a lot of space available... Hug

-------------
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion

Date Posted: 16 Oct 08 at 00:01
Updated me !st post, don't know how else to flag it, will delete later.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 08 at 21:00
and know ones mentioned disconecting the battery yet(just rememberd myself). the welder should earth to the set its self but they have been know to fry batterys. at work when we weld jobs when sat on the fork lift forks its never done any thing adverse to them, some do have a battery isolater switch which we often use, better safe than sorry etc!!! and easyer than having to move 2tonnes off a dead fork lift!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 08 at 22:09
Good point and thanks for the reminder, I update me notes.
I generally do, but disconnecting the battery can cause nightmare problems with more modern vehicles. Radio codes, immobilisers etc.
Battery failed on our kids C70, soon as he put the new one back on alarm went off and stayed on. Can't remember the fix but you would never have guessed it.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Dec 08 at 05:28
Hi Folks,

Has anyone ever tried running a mig from a generator, if so how big etc.

Cheers

Andy

-------------

Posted By: madra
Date Posted: 15 Feb 09 at 12:44
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

.... When working on vehicles it is recommended that you disconnect the battery...

i'm sure i read somewhere that you should disconnect the battery *and* the alternator.

true or false?

-------------
bollox

Date Posted: 15 Feb 09 at 22:08
just the battery is enough if you manage to weld through a wire the resulting short could cause the battery to explode thats the theory but Ive never heard of it happening. Ive managed to weld through wires but all its done is melt the wire.

-------------
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van

Posted By: MostlyMonki
Date Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 13:40
did my first bit of welding at the weekend (just a bit of seam on a beetle, no pics as it wasnt exactly pretty), but I'm having some problems with me mig.... managed to get through 2 and a half bottles of disposable gas, just doing about 15" of seam, and welding one bolt to the chassis. now it was anything but clean welds, and i had to go over most of it a couple of times, but still seems a lot of gas!! anyone know why i might be getting trough gas so quickly? or is that normal?

-------------
"LT Massive"

Date Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 16:47
Sounds normal to me they only last 20mins or so.
Bin the gas and go gasless easier and more consistent to learn with. A small spool should only be £5.

Or find a friendly pub landlord and "borrow" a CO2 bottle, you'd have to scrounge or buy a regulator to fit but the gas is only a few quid.

-------------

Posted By: petergeeky
Date Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 18:44
Hi,

A lot of the gas places sell CO2 in large bottles - at one time it was difficult for "private" people to get hold of CO2 bottles, unless like Andy says, you knew a friendly pub landlord. But the gas depots don't seem to bother about it so much - I get mine from a place called Wirral Gas near Birkenhead - obviously no good if you're in Bristol, but I'm sure there'll be something similar locally.

They sell the propane/butane camping gas type bottles, but they also do CO2. I guess the first time you'll have to pay a deposit on the bottle, but a 3ft tall refill cost me about £15 last time, and it seems to last forever. Obviously, as mentioned you'll have to buy a guage (loads on Fleabay), but the outlay is worth it in the long run.

Rgds
Peter.

Posted By: MostlyMonki
Date Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 23:20

Sounds normal to me they only last 20mins or so.

I recon mine are lasting about 5  minutes!

-------------
"LT Massive"

Date Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 08:22
is there a leak anywhere in the line? machine mart do two sizes of the dissposable bottles but the bigger ones still dont last to long. do you have a regulator on the bottles? if so turn it down and practice welding and turning it up slightly untill you get no porosity and a clean weld

-------------

Posted By: kimbobill
Date Posted: 24 May 09 at 11:11
Couple of things. If your mig has been cooped up in the shed over winter check the wire hasn't gone rusty, you'll find out when it spits and sputs at you! same as if you try to weld rust and if you are underneath wear some thick cloths as you'll do the Tyburn jig if the hot rocks get through. Gauntlets I only use one on my right hand (non welding hand) unless it's a hard to get to place and it's likely to drop on the hand.
Just make sure you know where all the fuel and gas pipes run before you start

-------------
T4 Caravelle converting to a day van and still looking for an LT

Posted By: Chappy
Date Posted: 24 May 09 at 11:19

Anyone had any experience in getting hold of oxyacetylene  bottles?

Bags and torches are easy enough on ebay, but not so with the bottles. I'm guessing that it's more to do with eBay rules that owt else tho.  I fancied a OA setup for welding and general use.  

-------------
Back in the slow lane, yeah!

Posted By: LT35-Craig
Date Posted: 25 May 09 at 08:17
BOC gas do them, have a search and see if they have a depot near you.

Posted By: canny bagga Tudor
Date Posted: 26 Jan 10 at 19:54

Best site I know for general advice and tips is:-

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ - http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

I haven't been on the mig welding forum for a few months but was back there the other day. A bloke called Weldequip who posts on there has been selling welders and equipment for a while now, but via pm's. Anyway, he's now got a webshop on there. He seems like a decent fella who knows his stuff and always dispatches orders very promptly. Here's the link to his shop . . .
http:////www.mig-welding.co.uk/shop/ - http:////www.mig-welding.co.uk/shop/

. . . and a few pages of posts from satisfied customers:
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3918 - http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3918

Tony

-------------
1993, LT31, 2.4 petrol (with a 1E engine), lwb, camper conversion project.

Posted By: Jam-Man
Date Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 12:46
 Oxy-acetylene bottles aren't on ebay 'cos they are technically always owned by either BOC (or the other outfit but can't quite remember their name now- oxygen products or something like that). There are BOC agents all across the country and you can rent various size bottles from them. Be warned though they are expensive to rent and BOC put the price up every year with the same lame excuse regardless of whether the wholesale price has gone up or down in the preceeding 12 months! Also, oxy/acetylene equipment, unlike MIG or manual ARC for those of you not familiar with it is hard to use, potentially much more dangerous and does require proper training from someone who knows how to do more than cut metal with it!. It, together with TIG are truly the best ways of welding car thickness stuff though.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 12:50
Oh, forgot to mention... Oxy/Acetylene bottles are available on the 'black market' but they are inevitably empty and you will have trouble getting them filled if you don't have a trusted friend with a proper BOC account...

Date Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 12:51
Mine is gasless and I'll put up with the spatter.
BOC are taking the ****.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 13:08
You are certainly correct about BOC Andy. They suck! But if you need the gear as we do they've got you up against a wall for sure. Argon mix on the MIG does make it a lot nicer though!

Posted By: bibblybobs
Date Posted: 15 Jun 10 at 15:50
I use gas from Halfords and the current bottle I have has lasted a year and a lot of panels. I turn on the gas tap until I just hear the gas then stop. If you open the gas tap fully it will only last about 10 mins.

-------------
1984 LT31 2.4 petrol Camper

Posted By: lt31ollie
Date Posted: 14 Sep 11 at 01:23
for the people who keep running out of gas quickly..
turn the wire speed down and hold the torch near youre cheak,
the purge of gas should feel simular to breath on the back of youre hand
if you have to much gas, this can drag air into the sheid of gas which will give you porosity.

ive been working as a fabricator for the last 5 years and this is how i always metre
how much gas i need. also if you use 0.6 to 0.8, welding body panels is far easyier and stronger
as the you get full weld penatration rather than if you use 1mm up you will end up with cold lap
as you have to run the welder on a low setting with not much weld penatration

hope that is of some help

Posted By: NickV
Date Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 20:28
Originally posted by madra madra wrote:

.... When working on vehicles it is recommended that you disconnect the battery...

i'm sure i read somewhere that you should disconnect the battery *and* the alternator.

true or false?
True...
It can blow the diodes on the alternator which turn ac to dcCry

So always disconnect the alternator before welding. I disconnect the battery too as it only takes a sec!

Posted By: pinpin
Date Posted: 14 Jun 12 at 22:43
Right fellas, just my tuppence worth but if you going to do the welding lark, don't go for a gasless model, go for at least a 150 amp gas fed model (it's worth spending the extra). There's lots of places you can get gas from, admittedly it comes with a bottle rental fee which is about £18 a month. A full bottle of either argoshield light or coogar 5 should set you back about £75 notes depending on if you use air products or BOC. If your new to welding get some practice on scrap material first and with mig clean material is really important. Then it's up to you experimenting with the amount of current and wire speed. If your stuck ask someone we all had trouble at some time.

-------------
A GUY HAS TO HAVE HIS TOYS!!

Posted By: pinpin
Date Posted: 14 Jun 12 at 22:47
Oh and disconnectthe battery, at best you could fry your ECU at worst your battery will blow up due to the hydrogen it produces when it boils. Have fun!!

-------------
A GUY HAS TO HAVE HIS TOYS!!

Date Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 15:04
Update on the gas side.
Got a nice big BOC Y bottle (40kg) this afternoon, found a special deal for diy bods.
Gas is £24.48 a refill and annual rent £34.15 + vat of course. No stupid contract, monthly bills.
Normal prices are £50.36 and £105.06.

-------------

Posted By: max and caddy
Date Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 15:36
How? did you just ask at boc? im on the intrustrial tariff...too expensive..whats the catch?

Date Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 15:49
Found the info on the mig welding forum.
Just ring 0800 111333 and ask about the Volkszone offer.
Only catch is it's Y size only, reasoning being that it fits in the boot!!.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 17:21
I think I'm on y size Argo light now anyway...ta for the info.

Posted By: Serge
Date Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 14:38

Update on the gas side.
Got a nice big BOC Y bottle (40kg) this afternoon, found a special deal for diy bods.
Gas is £24.48 a refill and annual rent £34.15 + vat of course. No stupid contract, monthly bills.
Normal prices are £50.36 and £105.06.

Thanks for letting me know about this great deal Andy, I've been paying £78 a year rent on a size X Argoshield Light bottle so this is half the price for more gas!

I rang BOC and they have put me on the tariff you described and I have just swapped my bottle over.

Thanks again! Smile

-------------
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/

Date Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 15:51
Welcome mate, more the merrier as far as I am concerned.
I have a non boc x bottle I need re-filling but I'm not paying £85. Anybody........
£25 for 2 1/2 times the gas is MUCH betterBig smile.
Y Bottle though is much heavier so had to make a welding cart this weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 17:35
P.S. Bottle needs a spanner which is not supplied, naf all use without.
£1ish on fleabay or welding suppliers, BOC £3ish plus use couriers so £8.50 charge per order.

-------------

Posted By: kelsham
Date Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 14:26
Adams gas have suppliers round the country, you buy the bottle and afterwards just pay for the refill. I live in Mid Wales and there is a supplier in Welshpool. I handed back my BOC bottle.

It is wise to buy a welder that is at least 150 amp as you can weld a thicker piece of metal when needed. Make sure it goes down to a minimum of 30 amps for bodywork. If you are on a budgetand only want it for thinner metal a 130 amp mc will suffice.

Make sure that the metal is clean/ really clean.

Check earth clamp is tight.

Disconnect battery and alternator.

The diode packs are susceptible to spikes when welding.

Buy a good mask, they are getting cheaper. I personally prefer one that has removable batteries.

My first mask died when the rechargeable battery failed in the cold garage after two years. It was not designed to be replaced.

A good mask will allow you to see the welding process properly.

When setting up set the tension so that the wire slips when you stop it with your hand after allowing a loop to form. If it is to tight it will birdsnest in the machine.

When welding cars it is best to do it in short bursts to stop distortion of the panels and move position on the joint, don't hurry. If you do you will need lots of filler to make good.

Join the migwelding forum and read the tutorials.

Clarke welders seem to be the best hobby welder.

A good machine makes welding easier to learn.

Regards Kels

Date Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 18:55
SmileStill think the BOC deal is better if you use a reasonable amount of gas.

Did a huge amount of research before I changed over, main reason being that when I bought the X bottle refills were £40. Cost had doubled when I moved to BOC.

Cannot find anyone else who will fill the X bottle so just use it when I need to be mobile.

Had a look at Adams prices and they are filled to a lower pressure so contain only about 50% as much gas, equivalent running cost for an X bottle would be around £70 which is a reasonable saving of £15. For that cost with BOC you get twice as much gas per year.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 19:06
I'm with boc and did the folk zone offer thing this refill...so far so good!

Date Posted: 08 Jul 13 at 08:44
Greetings to everyone enjoying savings on the Volkszone offer.
Just an update on current prices for anyone else.

Monthly rental now £3.74
Y Bottle refill now £32.29 inc environment and energy surcharge
Both prices include vat.

-------------

Posted By: LTCamper89
Date Posted: 26 Jun 14 at 18:04
New contact for VolksZone Gas deal is Nicola Smith 0161 9306014

Prices I was quoted today are:

Y Bottle Argoshield Light   Refill £26.50+VAT
Rental £38.70+VAT

Y Bottle Argoshield    Refill  £36.30+VAT
Universal Rental £38.70+VAT

The environment and energy surcharge was £0.00

If you do not sign up for direct debit of the annual rental there is a £2.00+VAT invoice fee, once per year.

Even though Nicola had phoned the branch after I had spoken to her in the morning it still took an absolute age to open the account but got there in the end.

-------------
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....

Posted By: roundandsquare
Date Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 00:30
I just signed up with the Volkzone BOC deal too.  Called the number Chris put in the post above and spoke to Crystal who emailed a form to sign.  I sent it back and was able to go and get a bottle in just over 24 hrs.  The guy at the branch was friendly and helpful. He even gave me a free spanner for the bottle.

I'd previously tried Hobby gas which was hopeless.   The bottles look the part, same size as pub gas CO2 bottles, but after reading some posts on the mig welding forum I found out that for some reason they don't fully fill them up.  After the first bottle ran out I thought there must have been a leak.  On the second bottle I was really careful to turn the gas tap off after every weld but that ran out just as quick.  I have no idea what kind of hobby this would be any use for because it's no use for welding up hopeless old vans.

The BOC Argoshield Lite also seems like better gas than the Hobby gas stuff.

-------------
LT35 2.4 diesel (not turbo) hybrid van/camper type thing...

Date Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 05:42
Another happy memberSmile, it's the best deal I've found if you use a reasonable amount of gas.
Bottle pressure is an issue and isn't always quoted on the web etc.

The first bottle I bought holds half the gas of the BOC Y, but a refill is now £80+ and no other supplier will re-fill it. Keep it for convenience when welding away from home or if I run out.

Free spanner was nice, wasn't happy when I got home and had nothing to fit.

-------------

Posted By: LTCamper89
Date Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 06:54

Free spanner was nice, wasn't happy when I got home and had nothing to fit.

I had not checked that either, so the adjustable 'wrench' came out and that worked fine.Shocked

-------------
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....

Date Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 11:57
Not quite that daft mine wouldn't fitWink.
Was gonna make something but thought no, bottles are rented so liable for damage etc better buy spanner from BOC.

Don't bother fit was horrendous and they only send stuff by courier.
Buy one off eBay for about £3 or make your own.

-------------

Posted By: Alonline
Date Posted: 19 Sep 14 at 21:55
Originally posted by Chappy Chappy wrote:

Anyone had any experience in getting hold of oxyacetylene  bottles?

Bags and torches are easy enough on ebay, but not so with the bottles. I'm guessing that it's more to do with eBay rules that owt else tho.  I fancied a OA setup for welding and general use.  

Wolseley do oxy in a deposit return system for ac work, will cost a bit but I find it better for poor metal

Date Posted: 19 Sep 14 at 22:00
If anyone in Belfast or this island try ulster bottling for your gas needs.

He does co2 extinguishers new for 30ish better that than your pride enjoy when the hose doesn't work

Posted By: Bundas
Date Posted: 04 Mar 15 at 21:05
Hi Guys,

I have called the number in the post above to arrange my gas bottle. When I spoke with them first yesterday they quoted me the same as LTCamper89 except that I have an environmental surcharge of £1.36.

I received the confirmation email today that my account is now live so I thought give them a ring or place an order, just to figure out how it works. I am planning to collect the bottle on Saturday morning as I am working away all week.

When I spoke with them on the phone today the refill charge was the same as I quoted originally but the bottle rental was £8.50/month = £102/year(!). They also said I need to pay a collection charge of £14.40 on top of this as well. 

Only change I made from the original is that I was on cash only deal for first and said that I'd like to pay with card? Would that be the reason? Say this Volkszone offer is cash only? 

Thanks in advance for any advice.
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=14530" rel="nofollow -
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=LTCamper89" rel="nofollow -
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/search_form.asp?USR=LTCamper89" rel="nofollow -
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/pm_buddy_list.asp?name=LTCamper89" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: 04 Mar 15 at 21:22
Deal could have changed I guess but I suspect you have been quoted wrong, mine goes out by DD. £3.88 for rental or say £40 if a new Y bottle. I just collect from the local supplier, no fees.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 15 at 21:26
Strange, I might try to ring back the first number again. It was told on the central number. That fee was for collecting personally, if I want it delivered is around £50.. Will try again tomorrow. Don't think the deal has changed as the quotes were similar 2 days ago and they knew what I am talking about.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 15 at 18:50
I collected my bottle yesterday and the guy at the shop even know about the deal itself and confirmed the quotes are the ones we discussed here before so I am quite happy. 

He also gave me a key for free and and argon reg for 1/2 price (£28!) as I only had a CO before. So highly recommend the chaps at Birtley if anyone goes by.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 15 at 19:16
Glad you are sorted mate, it's such a good deal that it's worth a bit of agro to get an account.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 22:09
Originally posted by Jam-Man Jam-Man wrote:

Oh, forgot to mention... Oxy/Acetylene bottles are available on the 'black market' but they are inevitably empty and you will have trouble getting them filled if you don't have a trusted friend with a proper BOC account...

This option is no longer a flyer as every bottle is scanned in and out on each account, turn up with strange bottle and the account hold will get landed with rental charges for those bottles.

Also to pick up a bottle is another £15 each smile, and then the fill of gas.

If in Belfast Co2, pure argon and argon blend are available in there own bottles Ulster Bottling Glen Road.

BOC are abusing their monopoly on gas.

Posted By: Mattybev81
Date Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 00:55
Looking at this wot do ya recon as I am on a buget just for panels nothing hardcore

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281488279967

Wolf Mig140 Gas No Gas Gasless Combination Turbo Smooth DC Mig Welder 135amp

Date Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 10:42
Haven't bought any Wolf products so can't comment on reliability etc.
Wire feed issues are not uncommon with entry level welders, so google first before you buy.
The mechanism on my RTech welder is an absolute work of art compared to my old sip, but I managed with the sip for over 10 years, just took a bit of fiddling about at times.

If you can I'd buy a welder locally cos 35kg isn't going to be cheap to send back for repairs etc.

As a starter kit it seems to have enough to get going, but small spools of wire and gas bottles are very expensive consumables. Find out if you can fit a 5kg spool of wire.
Check that the tips supplied are standard, that way you can nip to a local supplier if you need some in the middle of a job, or get some on ebay etc.
I'd also find out if you can fit a euro torch.

For panels I use 0.6mm wire with gas, cooler and quicker to grind down than 0.8mm.
If you work outside then you use more gas, a small bottle can run out in minutes.

Long term look at an auto helmet - leaves both hands free, and a boc gas bottle via the deal I have posted. Personally I would buy the kit without the gas bottle and regulator and put the £20 saving into a regulator. And start a boc bottle rental straight away.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 16:33
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

-------------
bollox

Date Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 19:51
Thats unfair mate.
Welder with no warranty or delivery costs, need to be in the For Sale section.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 20:00
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

-------------
bollox

Posted By: outtatime
Date Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 21:03
Note to self:
Make sure when replying to posts you're actually replying to the most recent one, and not one from the first page!

As you were folks, nothing to see here, i really didn't just spend 5 mins replying to an old welding post honest!

-------------
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)

Date Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 23:21
Not my rules mate, mods and admins are sick of moving stuff to the correct area so we delete them.

Anything for sale on the forum, please read before posting:-
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/rules-and-regs-read-or-die_topic22023.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/rules-and-regs-read-or-die_topic22023.html

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 19 at 16:14
Hi Guys,
BOC have a glitch on there system which ignores the discount negotiated for rental.
If you get an invoice that makes no sense then ring them and they will sort it out.
Rental for the Y size bottle should be £4.70 per month btw.
Cheers
Andy

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net