Print Page | Close Window

2.5 TDi Cambelt

Printed From: The Brick-yard
Category: T4 Section.
Forum Name: T4 Chat
Forum Description: Forum forT4 specific chat.
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70054
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 16:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2.5 TDi Cambelt
Posted By: JB
Subject: 2.5 TDi Cambelt
Date Posted: 23 Nov 11 at 17:20
A few days ago I noticed a rattly noise form the cambelt area - on taking the cover off I could see the belt was rattling against the case.. After turning it off in horror I realised something was amiss.
I'd heard that the cambelt was a tricky job on these. My favourite local garage didn't want to know about it, so it was down to me to sort - I didn't really want to drive it with the belt flapping about.

Anyway - a belt kit and a day's work later it's done - the tensioner had given up - I'm considering myself extremely lucky to have escaped without it jumping a tooth or worse. It wasn't a bad job either. I got myself an impact wrench to take the bottom pulley bolt out. I didn't move the cam pulleys-  so I'm hoping the timing is still OK, I will check it tomorrow on the computer but it drove just as well as always on the 8 mile trip to town and back I just did.

So - it's not the nightmare job I was led to believe. I'm fairly handy with spanners, but not a pro or expert. It's doable DIY - read up carefully and have a go if you're confident - Including buying an impact wrench the cost was under £170 - much better than the £500+ VW wanted..

-------------
If it ain't broke - fix it till it is..

Replies:
Posted By: Desp Dan
Date Posted: 23 Nov 11 at 18:39
Did you fit a new water pump whilst you had it in Bits ???
Only it's usual to do the lot in one Go
especially if you dont know the provenece of the Belt/Tensioners/Water Pump.

My last Water Pump only Lasted only 53000 Miles before it Collasped, Belt & Tensioners were due at 60000 Shocked

-------------
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut

Posted By: Or_GazM
Date Posted: 23 Nov 11 at 18:52
Simon does a great job on these....for less than the VW silly price.
Yeah, you should have done the water pump at the same time.

Anyone thinking "Scumbria" is a long way from Brickwerks....I drove 2000 miles from Norway to make him do mine!

-------------
Norwegian Troll....Big enough, Fat enough and Old enough to take any comments

Date Posted: 24 Nov 11 at 10:16
Yep - I know I should have done the waterpump.. I should have brushed my teeth this morning too.. I'd be happy to get Brickwerks to do my van - but with the amount of slack on the belt as was I wasn't even happy to start it to drive onto ramps in my yard. This wasn't planned maintenance!
I did check it as best I could, it felt right - no play, smooth bearings.. I needed to get the van back in action quickly..
The idler on the accessory belt - the one that's a bugger to get off without butchering an old deep socket or dropping the engine a bit was a bit shaky, but I didn't have one of them to hand either. Still, it should last till I have time to do it, and if it goes I'll just loose power steering and alternator..
The state of the old tensioner, and those on the pump belt, and the condition of the belts makes me think that the reciept I got with the van for all these (dated a few months before I bought it..) was slightly (totally) faked. The crank pulley was in pretty good condition though - that'd been changed.
Off to Scotland again this weekend..

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 12:00
Well, returned from a 400 mile round trip. Van ran perfectly. Seems to be less smoky and smoother, and a few less than nice noised have vanished.
Hooked it to the computer to check the timing. Pump timing solenoid duty cycle was 83% - far from the 10% I believe it should be. After a bit of fiddling with the cam sprocket I've got it down to 14% but I can't get it any lower. My free version of VAG-COM has only the measuring blocks usable.
Does anyone knowledgeable have any ideas to get it lower, or do I need to get someone else to check it?
Incidentally - my homemade exhaust manifold spring clip remover also made an excellent sprocket holding tool!

-------------

Posted By: solarboy
Date Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 13:59
Have you got a pic of that exhaust tool?

-------------
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.

Date Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 18:48
Here she blows - from my DIY side exhaust thread..

-------------

Posted By: solarboy
Date Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 19:08
Fantastic ! cheers !
Beer

-------------
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net