The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rev Counter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rev Counter
    Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 17:49

I have just changed my instrument cluster as the old one was tatty, the new one has a rev counter does any one know how to wire this in?

Also any diagrams for fitting a cigarette lighter?
nosaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 10 at 23:07
i would be intrested in this on how to wire up a rev counter 
LT 32 2.5 TDI SWB ..My Suport vehicle for Karting
cnycl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 17:19
Same request here,

But I think it's better to move the topic here.
I need to find out the pinouts on the rev counter pod (As I recall, from 82' or 85' onwards oil pressure warning gets additional signal from the alternator therefore there's always tacho pulse on the multiconnector, this corresponds to pin 7  (corrected pin 14) on the multiconnector I guess ).
Any info on rev counter wiring/pinouts (see photo) will really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by cnycl - 08 Aug 10 at 17:29
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 18:39
Pin 14 on the 14-pin multiconnector, green wire, should be w from alternator.
Also pin 1 of oilpressure control.
Not sure if it's like that on older types tho...

Edited by mcbkat - 02 Aug 10 at 18:43
De Vries LT45 4X4, De Vries LT40 4x4
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 18:47
For cigarettelighter there should be a 3-pin connector somewhere in the middle of the dashboard.
Near the heater-unit.
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 18:51

Confused

Why is the connector in the middle, when the original cigarette-lighter is located
under the rev-counter? (LHD)

Stefan
cnycl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 10 at 06:55
Cigarette lighter connection is still awkward in left hand drive vans (on the right near the radio)
I drilled a hole on the far left of the dashboard and power my PDA from there.

BTW any ideas about the 4 pins on the rev counter pod?

TwoSheds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoSheds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 10 at 18:21
Afternoon Guy's

I have uploaded some info onto my place on Flickr which may be of use.
For those who don't know already :

For Petrol versions the Tacho impulse input would come from the distributor contact breaker.

For Diesels it comes off the W contact on the Alternator. There are 3 pages of info to look at, download or print and they are LtTacho01-03.

Edited by TwoSheds - 05 Aug 10 at 06:48
cnycl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 10 at 17:22
Finally I managed to wire my rev counter and it works fine.

Here's how it is wired in my van ('88 model left hand drive LT 31, 2,4 l petrol engine). Please keep in mind usual disclaimer conditions, wiring looms may differ from year to year and do not forget to double check everything before operating your vehicle.

As I've written in the forum before rev counter part numbers for left and right hand drive vehicles differ but apart from the pcb foil and white bracket that holds the clock, gauges and rev counter, every part is interchangeable.

Rev counter specificif PBC foil is an advantage if you have one but if you can solder and use a multimeter, it is easy to bypass this part.

Photo below shows the pinouts on the pod. You may have a slightly different PCB, the one in the photo is from a right hand drive van with clock but pinouts are same. Just ignore it for now.

All connections for rev counter wiring exist on 14 pin multiconnector  (ie pin 14 for tacho ) but PCB foil for my van (I did not even have the clock, just fuel and temp gauge) have provision so I directly soldered wires from the PCB to the rev counter. 

You can see the provision on the right of the pod (it seems like someone cut the proper part in the  factory), there are 4 connections on it, just pry the first 3 and from left to right solder tacho, positive and negative leads. Double check your connections (continuity between pin 14 on the multiconnector and tacho lead / terminal 15 on the voltage regulator and positive lead / common ground connector and negative lead).

Connector on the counter is not the usual automotive type so I slightly modified a PC type connector (CPU cooling fan connector) to make a home made one which soldered properly to the wires coming from the PCB 

And finally a working rev counter.

Edited by cnycl - 11 Aug 10 at 14:21
TwoSheds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoSheds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 10 at 18:23
Nice detail cnycl !!
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 10 at 18:05
I fear the worst I noticed that the black and red wire from the alternator had been cut so I joined it back together again expecting the rev counter to work. It didn't and now I know why as after removing the alternator some dim whit had connected it to D+ ho why didn't I check it first as after connecting the red and black to the W terminal the rev counter still doesn't work even though it has power to the positive terminal as in picture.

Anyone know how to check the rev counter for damage
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 11:29
Finally found time to have another look at my rev counter and by a stroke of luck the wire in the loom taking the signal from the T2 terminal by the starter motor was broken so I run another wire and now have a working rev counter.

I also have another one including the foil which will be going on ebay soon, or pm me soon Smile
so42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote so42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 18:35
Any idea if the speedo and rev counter fit in an early LT(1980). What is the size of the face on the later clocks. I can see that the clocks in the pic are 1987.
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 19:49
I wouldn't off thought so, I think they are bigger you would have to replace the whole instrument cluster and therefore the dash as well and even then the plugs on the wiring looms would be different to.
so42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote so42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 10 at 11:58
I have changed my clocks to golf GTI  as a can't find a set of 1980 MPH clocks as my old clocks were KPH.
They are ok for now but I want a set of LT clocks as the golf clocks have a way bigger top speed so the needle don't travel that far round!
I can strip a set of clocks down to bare bones and have them back in no time as you use all the wiring thats there, you only change the clock head or put the rev counter in and run the extra wires to the small plug you have in your picks.
A bay window speedo is the same size as the MK1 LT also but the face is to old school to look right.

Post Reply Post Reply