The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Someone glued the skylight in! West joker high top
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Someone glued the skylight in! West joker high top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Someone glued the skylight in! West joker high top
    Posted: 02 Apr 11 at 14:13
Hi, thought I'd finally get round to repairing the skylight on westfalia joker hightop. Just popped the White caps off to unscrew it and no screws. It's been glued by previous owner! don't want to pull whole roof down. Had a look from above and can see it's been bodged up with sealant, and cracked. Anyone recommend what to do, should I clean outside and try to reseal or replace? Turning into can of worms. Cheers
TheSkylightGuy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSkylightGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 13:01
Did you get this situation resolved? If not, you can Skype Trevor at Trevor1087 sometime if you like...he's known in North America as "The Skylight Guy"
AdrianC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 14:43
Sealing round the edges is always going to be a second-best, especially if they're already bodged and manky.

The inner plastic should screw through the wooden frame into the outer plastic. There's some cracking pics on a thread on Samba. I suspect what's happened is that the screws rotted through, so the numpty's glued the wood to the outer, then the inner to the wood.

Given that it sounds like it's all been bodged badly, you've really got two options.
- Continue the bodging and just try to keep as much water out as possible.
- Buy new skylights and do it properly.

If you go that route, then the way to go is almost certainly going to involve breaking the inner frame apart, then the outer frame, before trying to carefully prize the wood and outer cover away from the glassfibre. WIth the inner removed, you've got fairly decent access to the frame without removing any other trim.

Gunzl sells new, complete (maybe not the wood, but that's going to be easy to DIY) hightop roof vents - €115 each

Don't know if the SkylightGuy will have Hightop ones, they only got Poptop Westies on that side of the pond. Alternatively, maybe just get a slightly larger generic motorhome one and modify the hole to fit?

<edit: Bollocks. Just seen how old the original post is...>

Edited by AdrianC - 06 Nov 12 at 14:44
Adrian & Ellie
Zookeeper of a miscellany of motoring silliness, from 0.75bhp to 9ft tall.
Living life on the road in an '88 2.1 Club Joker Hightop.
http://WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
TheSkylightGuy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSkylightGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 15:18
Yes it's an older post...! I figured out after the fact too!
Guess I should go online more often!
Anyways, you never know if it will help someone today...
Cheri & Trevor
www.theskylightguy.com
 Post Reply Post Reply