The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

South African 1996 2.6i T3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kosie42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South African 1996 2.6i T3
    Posted: 06 Jun 11 at 17:20
I imported this T3 in 2008 having owned it and used it in SA. Recently it failed and then subsequently passed its MOT based on excessive exhaust emissions. There is some sort of allowance made for imports from Africa. The guy at the garage could not find anywhere to plug in his diagnostic tester and could not find anywhere to adjust the air/fuel mixture. Can anyone help on this? The engine is giving some trouble when hot and standing in traffic queues - it begins misfiring and sometimes cuts out and is difficult to restart. Would appreciate some help on this as well?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 11 at 17:54
try posting in the correct section please.

now moved to the sa forum
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 11 at 14:03
Join the club! My 2.6i will only start and idle, ask for anything more than 1800 rpm and it just cuts out. I'm thinking about junking the Bosch of SA Motronic and going for a Megasquirt ecu.
You could try Russel at syncro nutz as he's the man on these shores for all things post-1990 with a 22S part number.
P.S. they don't have a euro-style diagnostic plug, there's a 7(?) pin "pan-pipe" connector next to the coil and it should have a blanking off false plug in it. That's the SA diagnostic port but you won't find anyone over here who can plug it in, unless Russel can help.
I don't know if anyone knows how to read the DTC's off them either.

Edited by silverbullet - 13 Jun 11 at 14:14
Have I missed anything?
kosie42 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kosie42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 11 at 13:58
Thumbs UpThanks for your info - bad news if no-one can hook up a diagnostic though! I rang the guy in SA who used to service this Kombi and he told me about the 6 pin connector and said he thought it was pins 2 &4 to connect to a diagnostic monitor? He suspects a temperature sensor is giving trouble but how to find it? I have sent an email to synchro nutz but no reply as yet.
murfs27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murfs27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 11 at 17:20
Can anyone help me, I have a SA import VW 2.6i Caravelle with no engine ECU, does anyone have the part number or know what system went on the car, I believe it is a 1996 model?

Thanx, Murf
kosie42 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kosie42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 11 at 09:35
Hi - I also have an SA import 2.6i caravelle - I can look at the ECU for you if you still need the information?
 Post Reply Post Reply