The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Supertracker alignment van type

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supertracker alignment van type
    Posted: 08 May 14 at 16:32
Help! 

I've found a local garage who are happy to have a go at 4-wheel alignment on my T4.  I showed them where you can get some adjustment on the rear toe-in, and they had a bash (literally!). 

The issue is, which of the many listed transporter multivan types on the supertracker computer do they use for my van?! 

My van is a 1999 swb panel van camper conversion.  VIN shows it as WV1, the suspension code thingy is OJ2 according to the sticker under my fuse box cover thingy.  I have a copy of the "Front wheel alignment data" from that book, but that didn't seem to help the garage; they need to choose one of the many "types" from the list on their computer and are not sure which one to go for to get the right measurements. 

Your help is gratefully appreciated oh wise ones.
Keen Newb: apologies for boring questions. My enthusiasm writes cheques my mechanical knowledge can't cash.
1999 T4 1.9TD SwB
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 14 at 16:50
It all depends upon if the springs have been changed for the conversion....
After mine were changed (lowered) by Brickwerks, it cost me £250 here to get the tracking set by a VW garage, with computer printout to prove it was correct, before I could get my "MOT".

Springs (originally) were colour coded, but that soon rusts off.
There's also the rear brake adjuster that has colour coded springs that are dependant upon the ride height (and must also be adjusted if you lower/raise etc....another 200 quid for me!)
Stav View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 14 at 17:03
No change in springs - conversion was only in the back.  

Not lowered afaik.  Rear springs were changed last month as one had broken, standard springs put in. 

There's a long list of transporter "types" on their computer - 1 to 8 "types" and various options in each type.  Which one are they supposed to select for my van?
Keen Newb: apologies for boring questions. My enthusiasm writes cheques my mechanical knowledge can't cash.
1999 T4 1.9TD SwB
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 14 at 17:28
If they were changed for genuine VW springs....try Google to find what colour spring fits which van.
I'm not 100% certain on my facts, but if they are std springs, then you should find that the settings will be the same for a "std" van.....

You say "No change in springs - conversion was only in the back."
But that is the only place that has springs.......
Some companies uprate the springs for "constant load".  

If you were closer to Heaven, I'd tell you to visit Bobble 'ed Baxter (site owner), as when he lowered mine, he set it all up.....I only had to pay the 250 quid for the "stealer" to make a printout for it (the guy that did it admitted it was withing 0.5% of the required setting!)

Have you asked them if the various options for tracking are actually different?
This is the major problem with computers....you can't just look down a piece of paper and compare numbers :(

Stav View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 14 at 17:35
I meant "inside the back" as opposed to mechanical stuff underneath or on the outside of the van, sorry.  I'm sure the conversionists didn't change the springs or anything else mechanical.  

Taking the van to Baxter wasn't an option really due to time - plus he's so popular you have to book a way in advance.  

If anyone can tell me which option to get the garage to click on supertracker, that would be amazing.....
1999 T4 1.9TD SwB
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 14 at 18:46
I assumed you were "too far away from him" to get it done.....even though I drove 2500 miles to get to him...3 years on a trot! (But it was my "holiday"...and 300% cheaper than work in Norway!).
And yeah, I was booking 6 months in advance!
He's so crap, he can't get work done any faster ;-)

I hope someone else will be helpful for you.
Maybe PM him.....but I think he does his work "seat-of-the-pants" style....after so much experience!

Gaz
 Post Reply Post Reply