The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

swap 4speed for 5speed gearbox?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swap 4speed for 5speed gearbox?
    Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 15:04
Hi

I noticed in the Haynes manual for my LT35 that the mountings and casing for the geabox are the same for 4 speed and 5 speed.

Does this mean that it's a straightforward swap to upgrade to a 5 speed gearbox?

The gearbox on my LT was never designed for long distance motorway treks, it's revving it's nuts off at 55mph, yet still has some grunt left (on the flat) - so I figure less revs = less fuel used and less noise in the cab.

next question - anybody know of a 5 speed box available?

thanks
Jamie
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 10 at 14:02

I wouldn't bother gpoing to the trouble as 5th is only a 1:1 ratio.. Just the same as your 4 speed box so you'll gain nothing on the motorway, you'll just have another intermediate gear which is no use at all, and an even worse gear change. I think VW were on drugs when they designed the gearbox and rear axle ratios on the LT as even when they were new in '76 they were 10 years out of date with regards to long distance driving. Have a look at other older threads on here abpout how others have tackled the lack of motorway ability. 

F***OWL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 10 at 15:21
bigger tyres helped (215s)

Edited by F***OWL - 19 Sep 10 at 15:36
'89 LT28 2.4TD Westfalia Florida
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick
'89 Yamaha YFU1W Pro-hauler Quad

Post Reply Post Reply