The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 lowering thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
anden View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 09 at 10:21
the pole was around 3ft long, its only an offcut from a miniramp project!! comes in handy all the time!
I used a big adjustable spanner as it was the only wasy i could reach nicely across the flats, the 27mm deep socket i have isnt hex shaped it has multi form and would be useless for applying alot of torque

Question i have is when changing the front shocks do i have to remove the plate from the top of the shock from below (shown in schematic) or can i reach the shock top bolt from inside the engine bay (under battery and airbox?)
mariodedubber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariodedubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 12:50
Si, I have lowered my T4 and have experienced problems with one of the adjusting bolts being a
a B*stard to move and in the end it moved but I think the bolt has "necked" so do you stock spare adjusting bolts?

Mar...Shocked
Life's too short to buy bad dub's!
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 21:56
Just buy them from VW.
Something I may stock in the future.
Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'm not indecisive,or am I?You bet I am!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 09 at 08:54
Originally posted by anden anden wrote:

the pole was around 3ft long, its only an offcut from a miniramp project!! comes in handy all the time!
I used a big adjustable spanner as it was the only wasy i could reach nicely across the flats, the 27mm deep socket i have isnt hex shaped it has multi form and would be useless for applying alot of torque

Question i have is when changing the front shocks do i have to remove the plate from the top of the shock from below (shown in schematic) or can i reach the shock top bolt from inside the engine bay (under battery and airbox?)

I took the whole shock out when I did mine.
alibaba View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alibaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 01:52
Hi,

I bought my T4 (syncro) off a guy that said he had raised the ride height, and I can believe it since they are about 5-6 inches between the arch and wheel ! What's confusing is that it has eibach shox on the rear, so I don't understand how it can be so high, unless Eibach make springs for raising as well as lowering ?
Does anyone have any experience of lowering a syncro and is it any different from a 2WD T4 ?
7/11=12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7/11=12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 07:28
Originally posted by alibaba alibaba wrote:

Hi,

I bought my T4 (syncro) off a guy that said he had raised the ride height, and I can believe it since they are about 5-6 inches between the arch and wheel ! What's confusing is that it has eibach shox on the rear, so I don't understand how it can be so high, unless Eibach make springs for raising as well as lowering ?
Does anyone have any experience of lowering a syncro and is it any different from a 2WD T4 ?
maybe eibach do a off road spring,,Ive got the sports ones on mine & what you get in the kit is 2 springs & 2 rubber upper plates that are very good quality & are approx 10mm thick,,,maybe some how he as raised it by adding some soft of metal work where the rubber sections go dont know mate with out seeing it
alibaba View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alibaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 12:48
Hi 7/11=12,

Thx for the suggestion, the idea of shims hadn't occurred to me.
Eibach say they only make one model for the T4, so will get under it again, but will take a photo to show what I mean about it being high, when it stops snowing down here.

Edited by alibaba - 06 Jan 10 at 12:48
7/11=12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7/11=12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 16:45

Hi 7/11=12,

Thx for the suggestion, the idea of shims hadn't occurred to me.
Eibach say they only make one model for the T4, so will get under it again, but will take a photo to show what I mean about it being high, when it stops snowing down here.
pic or two would be good

the springs you have on then mate are the same as mine,there progressive sports springs & there brilliant,,its snowing up here too mate & i love it lol
alibaba View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alibaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 21:24
Hmm not so sure anymore as I found some info that the seller posted on the net referring to having installed a Seikel kit. Must be going blind in my old age ..
Ninja Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninja Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 10 at 16:28
Hi, I'm trying to drop my 1.9TD. I've been soaking the adjuster nuts in WD40 every day since the weekend and they still won't move. Would heating them with a torch do any good? I'm a bit nervous about being right next to the fuel tank but I can't think of anything else to try. When I tried using straight forward man-strength in conjunction with a big spanner to turn them the top mount popped out and it took me nearly an hour to get it back in!
pimpdriver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 10 at 22:15

Hmm not so sure anymore as I found some info that the seller posted on the net referring to having installed a Seikel kit. Must be going blind in my old age ..

Not a green Caravelle 2.5 petrol is it?
its gert lush.........
alibaba View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alibaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 10 at 22:25
Indeed it was, do you have some info to share ?
pimpdriver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 10 at 22:33
2.5 petrol, owned by my mate. syncro, nice recaro seat I wanted to buy!

Good for towing, lovely 5 pot sound.
its gert lush.........
kimbobill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbobill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 09:23
When measuring the distance from centres to wheel arch is that done unladen?

Just dropped mine -40mm  and ordered a 27mm deep socket and it didn't reach so I think you need a fu*king deep socket. I used a spanner with a scaffold pole one was free enough the other I just worked it a little each way like cutting a thread. 
The good thing about the spanner is you can see whether the bolt is moving, at least you'll know if you're going to get crushed or not.

An air gun works a treat on the the rear dampers it made the whole thing so much easier.
T4 Caravelle converting to a day van and still looking for an LT
mrfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 10 at 11:19
Hi All

I am totally new to T4, but was looking at the diagram on the first page and wondering if anyone has thought about replacing the adjusting bolt of the front torsion bar with an adjustable airbag. Therefore ,with rear airbags it would give you height adjustable suspension for clearing speed humps etc, could it be done or is it unrealistic ?

Badger76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 21:19
Just to say thanks for this did it today a couple of small problems but all done great guide!Clap
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 10 at 14:36
I just had pointed out, by my MOT equivalent tester, that according to the TUV papers that come with the KW -40 kit, there has to be a MINIMUM 400mm between wheel centre and arch at the front!
(Strangely, no mention for the back...."cos it's controlled by the springs", he said)
Gonna have to wind mine up now to get it passed the Kontroll (but it will go back down after...not forking out another 200+ quid getting the geometry done...AGAIN! )

Update...H&R specify 390mm MINIMUM wheel centre to arch......

Seen quite a few posts about people worrying about the safety of R'n'R beds, but not many comments about how safe it is to lower a van more than TUV approve.
Lower the back 60mm...but only allowed to lower the front 20mm???....Gonna look strange that.

Edited by Or_GazM - 28 Oct 10 at 18:48
cady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 11 at 00:56
yaay at last I got my rear springs fitted on my lwb panel van exactly 40mm drop as suggested (empty) .
although was a bit disappointed to be throwing out tapered wire coils and putting in straight wire coils but i spose you get what you pay for (ToysRus own brand) but the ride does feel much better, firmer less roll and i don't get that sort of after bounce thing anymore.
just waiting for the tarmac to dry to get underneath and drop the front.
So thanks for all the advice.. nice.
had to change my paypal account so my wife cant see how much im spending on my van although the postman does give it away
cady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 11 at 00:00
FRont end sorted, only took me 20 mins. squirt of GT85 last week and the nuts slipped down a treat, like the man said I wound down 16mm on the thread and it gave me perfect 40mm drop to match the back. 
didn't bother marking threads just use a tape measure.
surprised how much better it looks with only a modest drop.... It looks proper deep..... and my new wheels are on there way, might be time to post a picture of the green machine..

So thanks again guys for all the helpful advice, couldn't have done it without you.Clap

the only thing I was a bit dubious about was the correct place to put the trolley jack and axle stands. All the gear and no idea, total novice to actual real mechanics... 

had to change my paypal account so my wife cant see how much im spending on my van although the postman does give it away
illzlee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illzlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 11 at 14:34
finally got round to lowering the front of my van today, 3 months after fitting the rear springs!
dropped it 50mm at the front and i think it can go lower. been soaking the nuts in plusgas for 3 months on and off (its a 1991 model, the nuts havent moved for a while!)- drivers side easy to undo by hand, passenger needed the 3ft of scaffold tube on the adjustable spanner.
use a vernier guage on the exposed thread to measure how far you are lowering.

good guide, made the job easy.
slowly becoming a collector of non-rare, non-special and non-collectable VW's!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>