The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 axd engine issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 axd engine issues
    Posted: 28 Aug 20 at 21:53
Hello all!

Good news I’ve just bought a T5 2.5tdi axd. 

Bad news it doesn’t run, the previous owners care assistant did an oil change on it but didn’t put oil back in!

It ran for half a mile they then limped it back home. The turbo perished so they fitted a recon turbo, filled the engine with oil it fired up, idled and died a couple of times and now it won’t start, not a peep of a noise from the starter motor or solenoid. 

I’m gonna have to check if it’s engine is seized, do I need to remove a coolant pipe to get a spanner on the crankshaft bolt?

Any pointers and advice greatly appreciated!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 20 at 09:09
Sounds odd.. Usually the crank bearings fail within 30 seconds with no oil pressure.  Piston seizure is normally the result of overheating.

There is no crank bolt or crank pulley to turn on a 2.5.  The easiest way to turn the engine is to take the starter out.  If the battery is fully charged the starter should be clicking as it tries to turn the seized engine.  I would start with the basics-

Battery fully charged and not knackered?
Battery leads all on and not loose including earth where it bolts to the engine? 
Does the small wire on the starter get 12v on turning the key?
Anything on VCDS?

There is a cover over the starter cables that pulls off towards the passenger side.  A bit awkward!
2004 2.5 174
rob1927 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 20 at 15:21
Cheers, much appreciated I’ll be able to have an investigate early next week. I tested it with a fully charged battery off my T3, so I definitely know the battery is good. 

I’ll check for 12v on the starter ignition wire. 
Is there a fuse or relay between the ignition switch and starter?

Also if I remove the starter to check if it’s engine is seized, am I gonna be trying to turn the actual fly wheel?

It definitely looks awkward to get at!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 20 at 17:05
I can't remember the exact route of that wire but I'm fairly sure there is no fuse or relay on it.  Once the starter is out you can get to the flywheel teeth ok.  Make sure to give the earth lead from the battery a wiggle and a tug where it turns a right angle and goes onto the top starter bolt.  They can actually part company there.  

I think you undo the coolant bottle and anything else in the way and it's not too bad.  The cover slides off as I said but it's very tight, I think I levered mine off with a bar in the end!   
2004 2.5 174
rob1927 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 20 at 18:34
Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated. 

I’ll have a look at it tomorrow or Thursday, and keep you posted here. 

Cheers,

Rob. 
rob1927 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 20 at 19:31
Well, I managed to investigate a bit today, I took the main cable off the starter, a bit of corrosion on it, wire brushed it off. I connected a multi meter to the smaller ignition wire, and got 0 volts when I turned the key. Do you know what I can check for next?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 20 at 22:02
You could do with a wiring diagram but I'd see what the ignition switch is doing.  But before that there is nothing stopping you from simply taking off the solenoid wire (the one that had zero volts on it) and running a jump lead (of the same size as the original or thicker) directly from the battery to the solenoid pole on the starter.  If the big main red battery feed wire to the starter is good then when when you apply 12v to the little solenoid wire (small harmless spark likely) if the starter is good the engine should crank if it is free. If the ignition is on at the time it might even start.    

Don't allow your temporary jump lead to touch any metal earth on the engine, starter or body otherwise, big spark! LOL

It is often the case that a locked/seized engine goes hand in hand with a ruined starter as numerous people have tried to flog a dead horse!  However the 0v on the solenoid wire is hopeful at least.         

Edited by T5 TDI - 03 Sep 20 at 22:33
2004 2.5 174
rob1927 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 20 at 10:49
Hi and thanks for your reply!

The starter is dead! I mustn’t have had the multimeter lead properly touching the ignition wire connection. 

I’m gonna replace the starter and take things from there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply