Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "I used to have one" thread...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "I used to have one" thread...
    Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 14:09
Anyone with anecdotes and tall tales about SA buses please put them here. The roll call is already in tatters Wink
Could one of the mods move all the irrelevant SA stuff over here or scrub 'em? Ta very much!
Have I missed anything?
russel at syncronutz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russel at syncronutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 10 at 17:50
I used to work on them own them and drive them. Now i just occasionally work on them.Big and small window ones.
Russel
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 10 at 18:03
That's the most relavant post so far LOL
There was me thinking this was my own personal sub-forum...
Have I missed anything?
green manalishi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green manalishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 10 at 17:00
Passed my driving test in this, a 1983 SA Caravelle from Durban.
Only mods to brit ones that I remeber was the full tint windows, 80 litre tank, twin headlamp grill.

It got nicked in 1992 in battersea in London. saw a few others the same colour, including one in the Trago mills carpark in Newton Abbot a bout 10 years ago that could have been it.
By 1992 it had required a full respray as it was covered in seam rash and had no under seal on.

That better for you?

Nice and tidy.LOL

1991 2.1 DJ 16" Factory Hightop camper
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 10 at 17:23
Just when I thought that no-one was reading this...I'll go and tidy my sock drawer tonight and then I can stop worrying about it. LOL
Have I missed anything?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russel at syncronutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 18:49
The early vans also had double sliding windows in both sides.
Seeing that picture of that color scheme takes me back a while Simon.
Russel
mcgill5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcgill5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 23:00
the best van i ever had the pleasure of killing for parts was a 1991 S A caravelle 2.1. i got it for £200 out the local paper and had every extra available! it had been up near RAF lossiemouth for 11 years and was so rotten with rust that when i jacked it up in the yard on the sub frame,the sub frame bent over the jack and hit the ground! cheers mcgill
green manalishi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green manalishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 10 at 16:01
Here is the front shot of the van. We used to get stopped all the time by people asking about the double round grill, which was not available here. When one of the inner spots smashed we had to convert a pair of Gti inners to fit, as even Hella HQ in st Albans could not get the part.

Thats my sister who is now 28 yrs.!!

1991 2.1 DJ 16" Factory Hightop camper
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russel at syncronutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 10 at 19:58
Those grills were just the original 2 light grill with an insert fitted in each side. Made quite a difference to the look of the van.
Russel
 Post Reply Post Reply