The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Syncro thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncropaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 10 at 14:26
This is my one before the off to Mammutpark

Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 10 at 18:35
Oh Christ! Clear off back to your own forum!!
Founder member of the "WESTERN FRONT VOLKSWAGEN KLUB".......membership no 0001
Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 10 at 18:40

Don't know/Can't remember exact town but it was on the road North of Molde, as you head for the 'Atlantic Road'. As you drive North scrapyard was on the right, in clear view from road. Loads of VW's there...............

Edited by Syncost Alot. - 27 May 10 at 18:46
Founder member of the "WESTERN FRONT VOLKSWAGEN KLUB".......membership no 0001
alfieboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 20:44
taigagreen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 10 at 19:47

I've been the (somtimes) happy owner of 9 syncros so far. After having sold the Single cab pick up I just got my hands on this nice doka today :D Happy man!

Tage is my name :D
Too many T3's...
rubyvan78 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubyvan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 10 at 22:34
Originally posted by Syncost Alot. Syncost Alot. wrote:

Is that Blackpool sands?

Nope its Solas in the western isles
Stephen Grieve
artisanjewellery.net
rubyvan78@hotmail.com

VWlewis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 10 at 22:56
Great to see another DOKA Taigagreen - but is it really still snowing in your area?  Shocked

Edited by VWlewis - 09 Jun 10 at 22:57
Dr. T15 - Took test in a T2, drove a T1, T4, T5 and now run a T3 - and I am not Tee'd off
taigagreen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 10 at 17:33

Originally posted by VWlewis VWlewis wrote:

Great to see another DOKA Taigagreen - but is it really still snowing in your area?  Shocked

:D No, we have blue skies and 24 hrs daylight. But not very warm though. About 14 degrees C.

Tage is my name :D
Too many T3's...
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 20:06
Originally posted by phpct phpct wrote:

Mine.

Originally posted by joe75 joe75 wrote:

Ours....
Originally posted by ..lee.. ..lee.. wrote:

a couple of mine.

Originally posted by alfieboy alfieboy wrote:

Are these all factory Westfalias? my gut instinct and one or two clues in the pics suggest that the white one may well be, but the others are all Caravelles with Westy roofs, but if not that's another 4 that I was unaware of, surely not?? I knew of 9 upto now in the UK I think.
The last one is the spit of ours. I'll post a pic later.

Edited by Beelzibus - 16 Jun 10 at 20:14
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 20:11
Here's ours:
jed the spread View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 20:36
Originally posted by Beelzibus Beelzibus wrote:

Here's ours:

What the hell is going on with your exhaust fella Confused never seen one exiting on the left hand side before and it looks low as hell. Interesting engine conversion? Am I right in thinking it is an american import by any chance?

jed

Edited by jed the spread - 16 Jun 10 at 20:38
[URL=http://www.whatatool.com[/URL]

My real name is Jarrod Walsh my number is 07940177101 or email Jed@campervanCulture.com for enquiries.
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 20:52
Hi Jed, the van is Canadian spec, so has power steering, electric mirrors, electric windows, central locking and tinted glass all as standard, it also has just one difflock. The original owner, (who I bought the van from) had air-con and a Webasto night heater added to the list. Quite a van.Originally it was a 2.1 MV, that's been ousted in favour of a quad cam Subaru 2.5. It puts out 155 brake as standard, but with the K&N and no cat I suspect it's nearer 170. It's a lot of fun. The exhaust is a Porsche 911 backbox mated up to the stock Subaru header, as soon as I get a chance I'll replace everything upto the backbox with a bespoke header, but for now finances dictate I make do. It's too low for me to play around offroad, but then so is the sump. Again that will be ousted for a slim one as soon as RJES get there's sorted.
Apart from the engine and the Merc steels it's all standard.
Next move is to tidy up the bodywork.
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 22:08
Before you get the sump and zorst sorted am I also right in assuming no syncro engine protection plates/guards? Might want to think about this too before you get a custom zorst done. They will need to bend it round your engine protection. The only reason I thought i would bring it up is because of moments like this, (9 minutes into this clip and onward)

You might think, well I wouldnt be doing that anyway but trust me you will Wink

jed

My real name is Jarrod Walsh my number is 07940177101 or email Jed@campervanCulture.com for enquiries.
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 22:23
As you correctly assumed, at present the engine guard is off, and until I get the sump and exhaust sorted it will stay off. Once I get those sorted I was planning on remaking the guard as required, whilst making it more substantial.
There's some pics on this thread: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ej25-exhaust_topic49902.html
which show the current set up. As you can see it's totally inappropriate for any off roading.
It's a case of one thing at a time to be honest, I've had the van about bang on a year. Within weeks the 2.1 had spat a stud and the planned Scooby install had to be done sooner than I had planned, then wheels and tyres, various mechanical bits and bobs, it's a simple case of too many jobs, not enough money and time. I had planned to tidy the body by now, but it's still just as I bought it.
I'd really like to get involved in some off roading, but until the van is ready there's just no point. I live right in the middle of nowhere, and there are plenty of tracks around here, once I get sorted I may have words with a few landowners and see how they feel about me having a play.
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 22:40
Get an AAZ in it if you wanna off road it Wink What gear box do you have in it? Has it got the oiling plates in etc?

jed

Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 22:45
Originally posted by jed the spread jed the spread wrote:

Get an AAZ in it if you wanna off road it Wink What gear box do you have in it? Has it got the oiling plates in etc?
jed

I can't believe you said that. I feel faint now. Must sit down in a dark room for a while.

No idea re the box. Apparently it was re-conned a few years back, but I doubt it was done to much of a standard. I guess at some point in the future I'll have to get Aiden to build me a new one. It whines a little, well something does, but it's not horrendous. It stays until it breaks I guess. It's the original, APH could it be? The ratios are great with the Scooby lump.
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 23:08
Interesting story behind the van though, I guess with your engine and the lower ratio gear box (maybe with the oil plates in), raised suspension, a few body mods to fit 16" wheels in it will be quite the speedy van. Its none stop though isnt it when one thing leads to another because of one modifiction leads to another and before you know it, its all out of control. 

I have seen people over the years go mad with one modification leading to another and actually making there van less capable off and on road as a syncro and taking on board only the things they want to hear. Look at Mike for example, though hats off to the fella he went for it but whats the point in having a van that goes through gear boxes like that blue shit you put in your potta potty. A 1.6 td or dare I say it an MV engine on 14" wheels would be actually far more capable than his over engineered set up on !6's really.

To be fair the only reason I didnt go mad is because of experienced advice from a mate who knew exactly what I needed and how I drove, so its not really my own common sense or knowledge that I am passing on to be fair, it just works and doent cost loads.

jed

Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 23:19
You're absolutely right there. All too often people lose sight of what they really need. Currently mines a daily, it does that great, cruises comfortably at 70, still romps upto 85-90 without bother, plenty quick enough. Sure a Forrester 2.5 Turbo would be quicker, but would I really make any use of the extra 100 BHP? Of course not.
I can't see much point in upping to 16" rims, the change from stock to the 15s and the Toyos raised it quite a bit, and it now at least looks the part, in theory it's more capable now than it was, and with the power and gearing I've got at least the bigger rims haven't wrecked its acceleration too much. There's no dubt that it will spend far more time on the road than it will off, so decent on road manners are far more important than off road capability.
It was bought to camp in, to go places the average van couldn't go when required, to not get stuck anywhere, and to be used as much as needed, daily if required, without becoming a pain in the arse. It's managed to achieve all I set out for it.
My real dilema is the body, On the one hand I want to tidy it, because it looks shit, the PO had really let it go, but then I'll get drawn into doing the whole body, not just the rusty bits, because there's dents, flaky paint etc all over it. So then I'll have a very tidy van and be scared to rag it about or even consider taking it off road. I really don't know which way to go with the body. It doesn't help that I can't stand the colour.

Edited by Beelzibus - 16 Jun 10 at 23:21
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 23:48
Get your engine clearance issues done and rag it around abit before you re spray it, at least you will have give it the bollox before your to scared to scratch it. On a more positive note we know a fella who will give a van a, (how can I put this) Syncro worthy spray job with the odd bit of rust taken care of for under £700. Its not show room finish but its good enough for a van thats going to have the millennium falcon AKA holly bushes and the like drag down the side of your van. He is in Surrey Wink

jed

Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 23:55
Yes I think you're right about having some fun with it before tidying it up too much.
That's a very good deal in this day and age. However I work in the trade for a small but professional garage, we do bodywork as well as mechanical work, and have our own booth, so in due course when time allows I have it covered. But thanks for letting me know anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>