The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

turbo engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul k d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 08:22
Interested to here how this go's, quite like to do the same thing one day.
Out of curiosity can you fit the volvo gearbox as well? seems to me that the low gearing on the LT's ? is a bit of a problem in getting up to reasonable speeds .
Mine doesn't lack power but its sceaming its head off at 80 kh could do with an overdrive or a two speed back axle. I was wondering if a transit rear axle would fit? I don't know what the ratio's are but just a thought Confused
hugo151 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 08:59
apparently the volvo rear axle/gearing will fit but will higher the gearing, which might be good for someone like me with an empty van most of the time (1900 kg )but for someone with a heavy camper , might not be able to get up a fairly steep hill in 2nd gear.   
1991 diesel swb low roof panel van LT35. 171k
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 09:50
Hi Martin,
               see you did the same as me going the spare engine route, (bid in the last ten seconds and buy the whole volvo for next to nowt Big smile Big smile) though I don't need mine yet, hope it all goes well this time around and see you at oktoberfest.
                                           cheers, Jack.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 17:59
I'm considering changing the rear diff on mine. I feel like the gearing is pretty bad for what I need it for. Every gear could be just a "little bit" higher...
drunkenmaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunkenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 22:48
It's in!!! Tongue Hug 
1991 LT35E 2.4TD (volvo transplant)
http://ltcamper.blogspot.com/
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunkenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 22:49
Have yet to put the bonnet and seats back in, but it's in and it runs beautifully. And no smoke on start up!! I'm one happy chappy. I can't believe it started first time and that I hadn't forgotten anything.
Speshulbrew View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 04:42
gud to hear your getting there drunkenmaster!ya blogs very interesting mate      spesh
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 12:16
Glad you are getting there mate  Clap. Enjoying you blogs as well.

Cheers

Allan  Thumbs Up
1995 LT 35 Self Built Camper 2.4 TDI
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 15:34
nice one Big smile

Regarding gearing / diff discussion.

After putting on 16" rims I would not suggest mucking with difs/gearing. I was suprised the difference just the small wheel diameter increase made.

Not too drastic but 1st is now still to slow for take off - however 2nd is a bit high (poor clutch!). And top speed if anything is worse, much more difficult to get there - however revs are lower.

I have currently got the slowest engine available mind! until my TD goes in.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 16:14
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

nice one Big smile

After putting on 16" rims I would not suggest mucking with difs/gearing. I was suprised the difference just the small wheel diameter increase made.

Not too drastic but 1st is now still to slow for take off - however 2nd is a bit high (poor clutch!). And top speed if anything is worse, much more difficult to get there - however revs are lower.

Tom,
       assuming same ratio tyre on both wheels (14" & 16") e.g. 205 x 80 then the difference isn't so small, it's actually 14%, which translates to actually doing 57 mph now as against 50 mph for the same engine revs in top gear. (explains why  2nd seems too high to pull away in and it struggles to pull it's revs in top)
                                                                          cheers Jack.
hugo151 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 20:47
you dont say what your engine is tomshute, is it diesel or petrol?
paul k d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul k d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 09 at 18:06
Perhaps 15 inch wheels would be a better bet? There are some on ebay from a 91 model , will they fit?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunkenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 09 at 20:42
Cheers Jack (BeeJay)
All went well (so far). It's in and running. I bit of vibration probably due to DIY engine mount. Although can't yet rule out something else as this was a first for me in many ways;
First Engine out
First engine in
First clutch
First prop shaft removal
First gearbox removal
etc etc

It runs beautifully and no special effects smoke machine anymore. I have a good feeling it will be better than the 5l of oil per 300 mile the last engine was doing!

See you at Oktoberfest
Blog updated
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 09 at 16:51
Originally posted by BeJay BeJay wrote:

Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

nice one Big smile

Tom,
       assuming same ratio tyre on both wheels (14" & 16") e.g. 205 x 80 then the difference isn't so small, it's actually 14%, which translates to actually doing 57 mph now as against 50 mph for the same engine revs in top gear. (explains why  2nd seems too high to pull away in and it struggles to pull it's revs in top)
                                                                          cheers Jack.

That's all well and good although if you don't have the torque to spin those bigger wheels - i.e. the new higher gearing, you wont get to your 57!

When I reffered to the speedo not being much out I am only judgeing this against those speed signs you get flash up at the side of the road. At this speed you will not get such a difference though I suppose.

And as I said perviously as I have now lost top speed who knows what i'm actually doing. I feel like I spend a lot of the time sitting at 45 /50. Without getting my girlfriend to follow me i'll never know. I certainly cause a que on my way into town on a national speed limit!

I currently have the lowest powered diesel unit. But have a turbo lump ready to fit for the very reasons mentioned!
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 09 at 18:19
Tom,the speed signs that flash up are reasonably accurate I think, and I know what you mean about waiting for the motor to build up speed mine's the n/a diesel (55bhp) as well but it's running sweet at the mo and I ain't got 16" on it LOL so no plans to swap it out until it needs it, (don't know how long this thinking will last though if I get anywhere it's very hilly) and speedo's usually are fairly optimistic anyway so your's is probably closer to being accurate now than it was before, though slightly the opposite way I would think.
                                                                   cheers, Jack.
hugo151 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 09 at 20:16
55 bhp ! , are you sure ? what is the engine ? mines your standard 85 hp 6 cyl diesel ,none turbo 2.4l i think, i'm pretty sure it'd pull another gear on a flat road. 55hp seams extremely low to pull a big van.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 09 at 20:56
Hugo,
           you're right, I'm getting my KW and BHP mixed up it's because it's listed in the book as 55KW and I forgot to convert it, just typed BHP without thinking, and yes it'd certainly pull another gear on the flat without any problem.
                                                             Jack.
Sigi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 09 at 22:36
You bugger it was you that got in about the last second and got that volvo lolWink I was high bidder for a week, same reason as you did the volvo swap last year with a buggered engine, it let go on the way back from bug jam!, so needed one desperatly, but you snook in and got it LOL, could be a good thing I have managed to bag a volvo with a new pump and new head so hopefully this could be the one ! could you show how you have plumbed in the wasser stat for the cold start, I pick mine up on sat! well done on the job
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunkenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 07:09
Have a look on my blog, link below, there is a picture of that side of the engine. I left on the Volvo thermostat housing and kept the Volvo T piece that's connected to the lower block connecton.
Sigi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 09 at 19:19
fitted mine last weekend, starts fine runs sweet with no smoke but I will have to mess with the engine mound as the return oil pipe for the turbo has worn through as it is rubbing on the old mounting bracket, confident this one might be the one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>