The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uhoh... bought another one...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uhoh... bought another one...
    Posted: 04 Jan 10 at 02:01
Well, after 6 months of toying with the idea of selling Rufus the LT, and getting something more powerful...

I've plumped for it and won on eBay a TD / Intercooled '95 hightop panel van on an N plate! LOL

Terry (thal) reckons they're quick; we shall see! I hope to god it can maintain 60 on the M1 LOL

It's a lovely shade of builder blue!

Current plan includes a bed above the cab, bench seats and cupboards either side in the rear, and  a kitchen unit on the drivers' side behind the seat!

Oh and mayhaps some windows and insulation as it's currently just a panel van! LOL
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 10 at 08:02
pics, pics, pics - this thread is useless without some pics!!

Hope you've shifted the other two before this turns up or where the hell are you going to park it on those roads around you!
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 10 at 10:29
nice one icky, as RTC says we need pic's!!!!!!.........

Big smile
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 10 at 11:50
Quality,

This interests me cause I am currently modding my truck to install a TD lump I have a DV engine which is TD and also have (I Think the Turbo and manifolds plus intercooler off of a late LT I think its hightorque gear but not sure if you can also post a pic of your engine that would be great.

Good luck with it
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 10 at 13:07
Paul - I've moved now! I'm on even narrower roads with even worse parking LOL

I've still got the bay, the other LT and the Syncro - although the other LT and the syncro ARE up for sale! They've all got homes (temporarily) although the Syncro is on my road as well...

Hopefully picking it up tomorrow, weather dependent...

Here she is...  will hopefully get some more photos upon pickup!

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 10 at 13:24

Leccy windows what a treat!!

Looks very nice and tidy too......
chucklebus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucklebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 10 at 15:07
Liking that!!!! Smile
1994 T4 Multivan Allstar

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me."
buz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 10 at 18:19
nice rear door hinges too , fold back doors if i am not mistaken.
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 10 at 19:21
yup yup, has factory fitted electric windows and doors that go all the way back like this!

It seems quite a straight, tidy example and has got quite a good service record so fingers crossed she's not a bad'un!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 10 at 23:21
Hi Icky. Oops. I'm sure I was bidding against you on that one. Very sorry! Very nice van. You've done very well to get such a clean one. I'mvery pleased it's gone to a good home.
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 00:02
Originally posted by Jam-Man Jam-Man wrote:

Hi Icky. Oops. I'm sure I was bidding against you on that one. Very sorry! Very nice van. You've done very well to get such a clean one. I'mvery pleased it's gone to a good home.

Was it you I outbid at the last minute?! Sorry! LOL

There was only 1 bid on it, so having decided I wanted it I went in with 15 seconds to go with my max bid, turned out to be a success! Smile

Never mind, there's plenty of others eh...

Timing wise it just worked out for me to get this one now, for insurance/tax/time reasons... sorry if i trod on your toes!

Now it's just the issue of getting into manchester and picking it up, how hard can it be to dig through 10ft of snow! LOL

Edited by icky - 06 Jan 10 at 00:04

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 10 at 09:41
Hi Icky. No worries. That's how ebay goes. I really don't need another one, but it seemed such a good survivor I couldn't help myself! I'm relieved I didn't get it 'cos I have nowhere to put it, but that never seems to stop me being a muppet and bidding on stuff... At least it's gone to someone who'll ensure another one survives! Depends how quick you want to get it. I'll be going to Manchester Airport early on the 14 January and I pass by you. If I don't see you, then good luck with the conversion.
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 10 at 16:17
I've got it back now Big smile

Drives lovely, the turbo is a dream!

Few niggly things I wanna do...

The heaters aren't very good (barely get warm), the drivers window needs work, theres a strange rattle from somewhere and theres a rear wheel bearing going,going,gone...

Most of it I knew in advance, its just a matter of tackling all the problems then it's ready to crack on with making it mine!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 10 at 16:31
Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

theres a strange rattle from somewhere

Just the one rattle? i wouldn't worry about it mate!LOL
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
chucklebus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucklebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 10 at 16:57
Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

The heaters aren't very good (barely get warm), 

Mine is the same - not sure if it is a feature of the TD engine or if I have a deeper issue to sort out.....

Let me know how you get on with it.

Van looks great BTW!
1994 T4 Multivan Allstar

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me."
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 10 at 18:51
cheers!

the best thing for me is the speed!!! it's like driving a CAR!

my old non-turbo did drag, and its only now i've got a TDi that I realise!!! lol

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 10 at 08:50

Thats great sounds like a very good wagon looking forward to more pics.

Just curious has that got the High Torque engine in it? It is obviously faster acceleration whats she like cruising and I bet she is quite a bit quicker than a standard TD.
Like I said I am v interested in finding out as much info as I can as I am currently building a intercooled TD engine and am trying to work out what the HT engine had the earlier TD engines did'nt. Or actually if there is any real difference between the HT and the older TD engine.......
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 10 at 13:25
It's apparently the 102 BHP engine - I can't remember whether it's a Hi-Torq variant or not, the badges are gone off the front. It's definitely got a turbo and intercooler though, I've looked LOL

It cruises happily at 65... and if you put your foot down at that speed, you do feel it... i may have accidentally broken the 85mph barrier on the way home, (or i might not have, officer...)

Definitely an improvement on the non-turbo!

Edited by icky - 08 Jan 10 at 13:25

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
buz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 10 at 20:06
i always thought that the power  and torque figures for the two engines were;
    dv engine code ( d24t , ie just turbocharged)  102bhp  195nm or 144 ft lbs torque
    acl engine code ( d24tic  turbo intercooled )  95 bhp  220 nm or 164 ft lbs torque,
  this is why the turbo intercooled engine is called the hi torq (ue ). i have had vans with both engines in and the acl engine was by far the best
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 10 at 23:17
I thought that too - the 102 bhp figure is only what was on eBay so I'm not sure if its right!

Definitely got an intercooler though, I've seen it and prodded it LOL

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>