The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uhoh... bought another one...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 10 at 16:20
Latest shot of Icky Towers

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 10 at 16:33
fixed it for you

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 10 at 16:54
You forgot the plod:

T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 10 at 17:00
LOL
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 10 at 17:15
TongueLOL Aww, you guys...
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 10 at 20:30
Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

...Now it's just the issue of getting into manchester and picking it up....

hey - what a coincidence!

a couple of months back, i was out for a sunday perambulate on my bike when, about a mile from my house i spotted an LT.  since it was only the 2nd one i'd seen since i bought mine, i pulled out my camera and grabbed a quick snap as i rode towards it [hence the blurryness of the photo].  look familiar, at all?

small world, eh? LOL

chiselgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiselgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 17:30
fair play icky.. looks in top condition .. a blank canvas..good luck with the conversion
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 17:39
Lol - Stiobhart, nice work! I guess I musta been quite close to your neck of the woods then, aye?!  I've not seen any updates to your blog recently... how's Herman coming along? Wink

Alas it looked nowt like that when I wa there - it was a lot more white and a lot more slippy!

It's not in bad nick... a few more niggly faults have appeared this week

- When you turn the key off, the starter motor cuts in again, can be embarassing LOL
- The radio loses everything when you turn the keys off
- Front parking lights appear to have disappeared
- Needs an aerial
- Strange whistling noise when travelling at speed
- One of the tyres has got a cut in it so will need replacing; I'm thinking of swapping 'em all for 205/14 instead of 195/14 to get a bit of a better running speed on't motorway - what do others reckon?
- Its a little bit down on power for a TD so I think it needs a good service. My old LT was keeping up with it pretty well - up to about 75ish on the motorway the other night, it was disheartening! LOL

Edited by icky - 18 Jan 10 at 17:41

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 17:59

Lol - Stiobhart, nice work! I guess I musta been quite close to your neck of the woods then, aye?!  I've not seen any updates to your blog recently... how's Herman coming along? Wink

yep. you were about a mile from my gaff.

i keep meaning to update the blog.  i have got a couple of small jobs to write up, but apart from that, i've not really done much to him over  the past few months; a combination of it being dark by the time i get home from work and a bit too bloody nippy to want to be outside much anyway have put a bit of a halt to proceedings up to now.

i am planning to get tore in with some serious insulating with all my bargain rockwool, over the next few weeks tho' - if the rain holds off.
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 18:20
Big smileFair! :)

From experience wi my old panel van - Jason K is right; seal it up into black bin liners & waterproof the rockwool before you put it in else it holds condensation against the panels! Other than that, bargain!

Edit: Also - the guy I bought my van off has broken another one for parts, so if you need any odd bits let me know and I can try and put you in touch wi' him Smile

Edited by icky - 18 Jan 10 at 18:21

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 18:45

- Strange whistling noise when travelling at speed

show offLOL
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 19:49
205's were on my LT before I threw the engine out and I couldn't tell the difference between them and the 195's that were on previously to be honest. They looked better in the arches though. The difference in rolling diameter between 195's and 205's ain't much...
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 21:25
My old one was running 205's and it did/does move remarkably well for a non-turbo!

I'll see what appears in the 'yard... ;)

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 22:47
Yours must have something mine didn't have then Icky. Out of the 70 odd horsepower mine was meant to have I think 68 of them had gone on holiday!!
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 00:33
I dunno, but its a bloody good van... I was amazed at how well it kept up yesterday! Cruised back to Derby at 70-75 ish all the way here!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 11:16
If mine had been capable of that I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of fitting a Ford engine... Good for you mate.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 13:26

- One of the tyres has got a cut in it so will need replacing; I'm thinking of swapping 'em all for 205/14 instead of 195/14 to get a bit of a better running speed on't motorway - what do others reckon?

Icky,
        I've got 215x14 on mine and they do fill the arches very well, 195x14 works out at 26.28" rolling diameter, 215x14 comes in at 27.54" dia, this works out at a 5% increase in overall gearing so would also theoretically get you a 5% increase in MPG as well as more relaxed engine revs for any given speed, have a look at  this link   they are all 'c' van tyres rated so well up to the job of carrying an LT.
                                                                      cheers, Jack.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 14:30
Icky the strange whistling sound could be Turbo pressure loss are you sure all the intake hoses are secure and the Intercooler is not leaking?? could also explain the loss in power the TD should trump a N/A on acceleration..................

Check the black plastic edges of the intercooler as its either split there or a stone or something else has penetrated it. dont want to worry you but the combination of the two does seem to point to one potential fault!

Si ;)
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 15:33
Yeah mate - I did think of that but for the moment I'm ignoring that possibility because it's more expensive than a broken door seal or something LOL

Also - The whistling doesn't stop when you dip the clutch though - it's related to vehicle speed not engine speed, so it's either a seal gone on the body or a weird noise from wheels/propshaft/brakes

Also - I've discovered that if I drive it with the cold-start pulled 'out' then it gets a whole new lease of life, so I'm guessing the injectors may be gunked up and urgo not atomising the fuel correctly, or the injector pump is weaker than it should be, or the timing's not quite on cue!

From 0-40, the acceleration does pull away from the other van - but at motorway speeds they're about matched. I'm also wondering if it's got something to do with the extra air resistance provided by the high top

Originally posted by Jam-Man Jam-Man wrote:

If mine had been capable of that I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of fitting a Ford engine... Good for you mate.

Yeah but at the end of the day, you've got the 'cool' factor! Wink

I'm itching to start work on the new one, but I've got less than a fiver to last me, money wise, til the Syncro sells! so for the mean time it's stopping how it is LOL 

Not having any work since before Christmas hasn't helped the situation either Confused

Edited by icky - 19 Jan 10 at 15:38

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 15:53
At least you've got it Icky, so it'll be ready when you are. That's a bloody clean van. You'd be hard pushed to find another that's for sure... I can't comment on how much the Hi top holds you back, 'cos mine doesn't have one... And it still didn't go....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>