The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uhoh... bought another one...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 16:12
^^ He He. You are so right Jam-Man they are ridiculously slow but its now my mission to prove a turbo Charged and intercooled D2.4 is capable of some speed and acceleration. (I will probably fail miserably) but thats beside the point it will be fun getting there..

The guys on www.d24t.com reckon they can tune there D24's quite easily to double the original horse power so for a Turbo Intercooled lump thats being conservative 180ish BHP. One guy claims 250 BHP is attainable with the right turbo and pump adjustments. Apparently its just about making them breath right and bolting a nice size Turbo on them but good gains are possible with the original turbo which is what I am using!

I know it sounds ridiculous but they have some pretty strong proof to back up thier claims I will obviously have to tone it down a bit I mean an LT Chassis cab running a big power 2.4 Disesl is a silly thought............ Or is it??? LOL

I have my High Torque injectors and Turbo including intake intercooler and Manifold plus the TD Engine and I am armed with all the tip and setting needed to increase the power. Yay or No! what ever the case may be I will let you all know.

If I do fails I think I might just plump for a V6 as you have But I do have some faith in the old VW engine yet! ! :lol:

Edited by Benzsc1 - 19 Jan 10 at 16:14
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 16:29
Hello mate. Sorry I couldn't find that pipe you wanted for the engine. I just don't have anything left. I think you'll need at least 120hp with corresponding torque to get these old busses really moving, preferrably 140 or more. My standard v6 is ok at 138hp, but the 170hp version I've just built will do the job a lot better for sure... Good luck with it and keep us all posted won't you. I'm sure a fairly modern 2.4 diesel, which is after all what it is, should be capable of giving more than the dribble of power it gives out as standard!
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 16:36
No worries mate TBH I still have all the bits sitting in the Garage but I also bought some other bits off of what I believe is a High Torq engine... So fingers crossed combined with the bottom end of the engine I bought off you I am going to fit the head off of my current engine which is the later ACL type with hydraulic lifters (Apparently the N/A cam is slightly better for performance) Those Volvo tuning chaps really know there stuff any of you who want a bit more power from your diesels should visit and they are very welcoming!

Let hope I can pull some power out that these greart vans deserved in the first place....

Once I get going I will start a seperate thread.

BTW Scuse the thread Jack Icky. When you get a chance I would still like to see pics of your engine to see if its the High Torque version. From the bits I have bought the intake manifold uis similar to a volvo D24T is square and sits closer to the engine than the non turbo or non intercooled version which are a big cylinder shape on a bannana shape intake manifold??

Si ;)
buz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 20:42
icky, have you tried turning the diesel up a touch.
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 01:07
Originally posted by Benzsc1 Benzsc1 wrote:

No worries mate TBH I still have all the bits sitting in the Garage but I also bought some other bits off of what I believe is a High Torq engine... So fingers crossed combined with the bottom end of the engine I bought off you I am going to fit the head off of my current engine which is the later ACL type with hydraulic lifters (Apparently the N/A cam is slightly better for performance) Those Volvo tuning chaps really know there stuff any of you who want a bit more power from your diesels should visit and they are very welcoming!

Let hope I can pull some power out that these greart vans deserved in the first place....

Once I get going I will start a seperate thread.

BTW Scuse the thread Jack Icky. When you get a chance I would still like to see pics of your engine to see if its the High Torque version. From the bits I have bought the intake manifold uis similar to a volvo D24T is square and sits closer to the engine than the non turbo or non intercooled version which are a big cylinder shape on a bannana shape intake manifold??

Si ;)

Don't be sorry - this is one of the most interesting dicussions I've seen on here for weeks! LOL

I'll mess wi the diesel when I get some time. Tomorrow I'll get some photos of't engine bay... I've not actually opened the lid yet LOL
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 16:46
Agree this is very interesting! Sound like the timing is a tad retarded as AFAIK all the cold start knob does is advance the timing slightly. Mine doesn't make a noticeable difference to the performance, which sounds a bit slower than yours IckyUnhappy (couldn't find a jealous smiley).
From what I remember my inlet manifold is squarish - I have a picture somewhere so I'll dig it out and compare it with what you lot have.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 17:09
I've discovered today that I can't actually get the engine bay open on my street... by the time I've folded the chairs out of the door, then it's time for someone else wanting to drive past and make me shut it all up again... and there's no room t'other side 'cause of people's front walls...

In the words of Doc Emmet Brown - "Damn! Double Damn!"

Mat - That's what I reckon too, though I shall try chucking some redex down it to clear things up and see if that helps. It's possible that if the injectors are gunked up and not atomising the fuel properly, that the act of injecting it earlier gives it more time to atomise into a better mixture in the swirl as its drawn into the combustion chamber. If that's not the case I shall play with it further!

Another interesting discovery is that the mere act of putting the keys into the ignition 'activates' the radio, and taking them out turns it off - it's like there's a switch in the key barrel! I've not seen that before, but it's definitely not an electronic actuator as it's a standard metal key! Intriguing indeed.... ;)

As far as speed is concerned, maybe I just want to go too fast ConfusedLOL

Edited by icky - 20 Jan 10 at 19:22
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 18:52
Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

I've discovered today that I can't actually get the engine bay open on my street... by the time I've folded the chairs out of the door, then it's time for someone else wanting to drive past and make me shut it all up again... and there's no room t'other side 'cause of people's front walls...

In the words of Doc Emmet Brown - "Damn! Double Damn!"

Mat - That's what I reckon too, though I shall try chucking some redex down it to clear things up and see if that helps. It's possible that if the injectors are gunked up and not atomising the fuel properly, that the act of injecting it earlier gives it more time to atomise into a better mixture in the swirl as its drawn into the combustion chamber. If that's not the case I shall play with it further!

Another interesting discovery is that the mere act of putting the keys into the ignition 'activates' the radio, and taking them out turns it off - it's like there's a switch in the key barrel! I've not seen that before, but it's definitely not an electronic actuator as it's a standard metal key! Intriguing indeed.... ;)

LOL @ not been able to open the engine bay......as for the key thingy with the radio my T4 does that in fact you can just push on the ignition and it does the same thing...........
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 10 at 09:14
Re the engine cover - I tend to take mine off (given that it is usually raining round here!) so I can put the seat back down again...
Your injector theory makes sense, although I've never noticed any difference just mixing injector cleaner in with the fuel. What I usually do is fill the fuel filter with it (making sure you have a good battery!) and then try and start it. It will smoke like a bugger for a bit, but I have seen a good deal of improvement with this method. Whether it is a good thing for the injector pump is another matter, as it doesn't seem as lubricative as diesel.
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 10 at 10:23
it kinda bugs me the way you have to swing the passenger seats out through the door of the van to work with the engine cover off.  i dinnae know why VW didnae make the passenger seats detachable, like the driver's one.  so you could sling 'em in the back and be working with the engine cover off, inside the van, with the doors closed, when it was cold or wet.

i've been thinking for a while of seeing whether i could come up with some kind of detachable mounting to replace the swing out hinge on my passenger seat, for just this reason. but it looks like you may have a more pressing need to invent it than me. LOL
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 10 at 10:38
Well I reckon that could be easy its just that passenger seat does weigh a ton so not sure how often you would want to remove it but it does make sense the mounting are just 13mm bolts so I am think in the same way they use a stud and hand screw for the drivers seat you could get some hanscrews made for the base of the passenger mount and either weld studs poking through the floor (Making it a damn sight easier to locate or just have hand screws that are stud bolts instaed of nuts.

Simples ;)

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 10 at 10:48

....its just that passenger seat does weigh a ton....

hmmm... didnae think about that.  it'd probably be about two or three times the weight of the driver's seat.  maybe that's why VW made it swing out, rather than lift out. they're trying to protect us from hernias!
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 10 at 13:30
LOL ^^ I doubt it I take it your van has power steering! Ask one of the guys without how many time they have been to A&E after trying to steer thier LT out of a tight parking space!

Mine used to be manula steering and I am sure I have internal scarring from manuvering the beast out of tight spots! :lol:
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 10 at 14:02
mine's either got power-steering.... or i dinnae know me own strength.
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 10 at 14:44
It must be that tin of spinach you eat just before getting in the van! Wink
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 10 at 18:54

It must be that tin of spinach you eat just before getting in the van! Wink

that's oddly a mental picture i can easily imagine! LOL sorry

the lifter of the chairs is hydraulically assisted, so i suppose thats why they did it

RE: redex - i've never used it on a FI system, only on carbs - i chucked some in my bay before i went to santa pod... ran like shit til i got to the M1, gave it a bit of welly - and then the engine started really stuttering for a few seconds... "shit" thought i - then there was an almighty bang and she backfired, and ran like a dream after that! LOL

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 10 at 23:02
I've never used the Redex brand on FI either, but they're probably all similar really. I have squirted some down the plug holes on an old carb engine before, then cranked it over to remove the excess. The engine bay looked like a blood bath! Took it for a test run and it smoked like the engine was about to expire, I pity the poor cyclist I overtook as once he was level with my boot lid I couldn't even see the bugger!
Back OT(ish!) - the picture of the engine bay I have doesn't really show the shape of the inlet manifold, is it any help Si?

It's far too cold/dark/rainy outside for another pic now, plus I may spill my drink.Beer
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 10 at 14:15
Hi Matt, looking nice and clean and dry under there! Yes thats a great help I can see straight away that you have the shorter square manifold that I am presuming they only fitted to Intercooled engines? I take it urs is intercooled? Also do you know whether urs is a High Torq or not?

The earlier N/A and standard Turbo Manifold looks like this

I protrudes higher than the one on your engine its meant to give extra torque which the N/A engines need but I am fairly sure the engines such as your with the square manifold runs a damn site quieter than the N/A's mine give me a headache anything over 10 miles in her!

Cheers Mat

Si ;)
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 10 at 14:28
Since we're comparing...  LOL

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 10 at 15:45
Oh that throws my theory out the window then as Icky urs is TD and Intercooled right? and you have the taller manifold!!Confused I can only presume Matts is a High Torq and thats the difference with manifolds!?? Matt ?? Please help I think I am going mad! Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>