The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Updated] MOTing An Imported Florida

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veersix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Updated] MOTing An Imported Florida
    Posted: 19 Apr 12 at 16:02
Hi,

Well I finally managed to import a Florida from Germany. Here she is parked up in Wales over the Easter weekend.

I now need to get it MOT'd and registered in the UK. As I understand it I will need to sort out at least the following before I go for the MOT:

• Stickers on the front lights as it's LHD.
  • Some kind of decal for the speedo as it only shows KMPH no MPH.
  • A rear fog light.
I think I can make the stickers for the lights myself using duct tape or something, but where can I get hold of a speedo decal or a rear fog light? Will any kind of rear fog light do and will it be easy to wire in? Will I need to do anything else to the van?

Cheers,
Colin.

Edited by veersix - 27 Apr 12 at 11:38
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 12 at 17:11
The speedo isn't tested for the MOT (apart from Class 5 vehicles) so no problems there. I may have a spare speedo though (and possibly a rear fog switch!) so will check tonight.

If it has the standard rear bumper there is a cut out for a rear fog lamp, also fitted to T4s I think. If wiring is present a very simple job, even if not it's not that hard. Any rear fog lamp will do but must be fitted to centre or (UK) offside.

You should be able to insure it just on the chassis number for the purposes of getting it to the MOT station.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
heir flick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heir flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 12 at 19:33
depending on the year side indicators are required i think its from 1986
1982 LT31 2lt petrol HiTop camper.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 12 at 19:41
fog light switch must illuminate.

dont think you need side repeaters though chap
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

veersix View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veersix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 12 at 19:58
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

The speedo isn't tested for the MOT (apart from Class 5 vehicles) so no problems there. I may have a spare speedo though (and possibly a rear fog switch!) so will check tonight.
That's good then, but I might mark on the MPH equivalents at some point in the future, although I tend to just stick at 80kmh when I can.

If it has the standard rear bumper there is a cut out for a rear fog lamp, also fitted to T4s I think. If wiring is present a very simple job, even if not it's not that hard. Any rear fog lamp will do but must be fitted to centre or (UK) offside.
It must be non-standard then as it doesn't have a cut out for a lamp, just a hole with a rubber grommet in it. I guess I could attach a lamp to that and thread any wire through the hole.

You should be able to insure it just on the chassis number for the purposes of getting it to the MOT station.
Yeah, it's currently insured with Glynwood's on the chassis. They're chasing me for a registration number now.

Cheers,
Colin.
heir flick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heir flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 12 at 23:02
section 1 part 4 of the mot testers manual covers side repeaters. vehicles first used after 1 4 86 require side repeaters unless fitted with wraparound type front indicators. could not find mention of exemptions for imports. 
1982 LT31 2lt petrol HiTop camper.
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 12 at 00:55
needs repeaters on the sides but bet your mot man wont notice the lack of them!!
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 12 at 15:46
Originally posted by I I wrote:

I may have a spare speedo though (and possibly a rear fog switch!)

Unfortunately it was a clock and not a speedo I had spare, and I forgot to check for the switch!Embarrassed
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Beetroot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beetroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 12 at 23:03
Looks nice and clean- the one I got is imported in 09 has had mots since and still kph speedo and no side repeaters so I'd just take it to the test centre and see how you go!
1989 Florida lt28 2.4 Deisel

KrustyJack
veersix View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veersix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 12 at 14:19

Originally posted by I I wrote:

I may have a spare speedo though (and possibly a rear fog switch!)

Unfortunately it was a clock and not a speedo I had spare, and I forgot to check for the switch!Embarrassed

No worries. The van has five or six switches to the right of the speedo/fuel clocks. One provides power to the radio and the other four don't seem to do anything. When the headlights are turned on, one of them lights up when you press the switch, but it doesn't light up when the headlights are off. I'm thinking that this could be used for a foglight that only comes on when the headlights are on. There's also a big green lamp which never seems to light up. The guy I bought the van from said the previous owner to him had made some mods over the life of the van.
veersix View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veersix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 11:37
Just to update the thread. I fitted a fog lamp with probably the worst wiring job in the world and the van went in for it's MOT today. It failed on the following points, with no other advisories:

001 Offside rear Seat belt has a cut which has significantly weakened the webbing [5.2.1a]

002 Nearside Side repeater missing [1.4.A.2b]

003 Offside Side repeater missing [1.4.A.2b]

Not too shabby really. We already suspected the repeaters might be problem, but I hadn't noticed the cut in the seat belt. 

Do I have to get a specific lap belt for the LT or will any belt be able to be fitted? I was thinking of attaching the side repeaters to the mirrors rather than drilling holes in the bodywork. Would this be a stupid idea?

Cheers,
Colin.

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 23:24
The side repeaters are an easy job.  All it is a round hole for part of the repeater body to go through, then two smaller holes for the screws.  I bought two new ones when I re-painted the van and they were only £6-8 each.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 12 at 10:00
The side repeater thing is an interesting one , my 89 Florida has just passed its mot without them , I thought he might have picked up on them not being fitted but didn't , I think I will get around to fitting some this year just for safety sake.
The MOT is getting more and more stricter so it may fail next year without them on.

'I was thinking of attaching the side repeaters to the mirrors rather than drilling holes in the bodywork. Would this be a stupid idea?'
http://forum.club8090.co.uk./viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80729&hilit=repeaters&sid=df398f587811235ac06bcf455937c54a

'Do I have to get a specific lap belt for the LT or will any belt be able to be fitted?'
As long its it VW it should fit , take the stalk off and match it with one at the scrappers

LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

veersix View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veersix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 12 at 14:08
It passed the MOT retest with flying colours. I installed side repeaters as can be seen in the photo below, and as I didn't have time to go round any scrappies at the weekend, I just took one of the belts from the middle row of seats and replaced the rear one with it. That was a job and a half as the metal plate that lives under the chassis had come lose and just span around. That's a welding job for the future. 

Cheers for all your help guys. Next major job is to figure out why the water pump is no longer working!

Colin.

Post Reply Post Reply