The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

volvo overdrive gearbox photos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: volvo overdrive gearbox photos
    Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 10:09
buz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 10:11
buz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 10:27
Thought I would put some photos on of the much talked about volvo overdrive gearbox, which I have just taken off my donor engine. This box is fitted with the `p` type overdrive unit which apparently is stronger than the `j` type. As you can see from the photos converting to use this box throws up a few problems.
                                    Gear linkage needs to be modded , Hydraulic clutch would need to be reverted to cable type ( I dont know whether earlier types of volvo may have cable operated clutch, this came out of a 1991 model ), propshaft would need to be altered to flange type, and also with the `p` type there is no drive for the speedo cable ( I think j type has ). lastly the gearbox mounting is on the bottom of the volvo whereas on the original ,its on the top. Personally I think its all do-able with the gearbox linkage and the speedo being the biggest concerns.
                               Or simply cut a hole for the gearbox lever in the back and get the wife to change gear !!

Edited by buz - 13 Jul 10 at 10:27
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 10:47
It doesn't look that difficult to change the box to cable clutch operation, so long as the travel/leverage is similar to the LT arrangement. In the past I've converted the vehicle to hydraulic clutch operation which was simpler than I expected, apart from actually fitting the new master cylinder under the dash but you shouldn't have that problem in an LT!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
paulr View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 20:12
Looks like the start of an interesting thread......................Thumbs Up
www.flexiblesanders.co.uk
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 11:22
Whoop Whoop Whoop go on chaps!!!!!!!! (Sorry for that outburst was to excited! ;)  This is what I want to see the mythical Volvo O/D retro fit!

I will be keeping a close eye on this great thread BTW lol ;)
Mission: extract as much power as possible out of the slowest diesel engine ever Produced!!
 Post Reply Post Reply