The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suze1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water leak
    Posted: 06 May 14 at 16:11
Hi,
I know very little about mechanics so would appreciate advice on the following;  I have a T4 caravelle (converted to a campervan) year 1996. The problem I have is that there seems to be a water leak as I need to keep filling up the plastic bowl in the engine every few days. Yesterday I checked and it was completely empty so filled up. Today I drove short distance and although there was still almost all the water there it did seem very hot (not sure if this is normal). Unfortunately the water gauge on dashboard does not appear to be working so having to manually check things. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? Kind regards, Suze
sec
myarse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote myarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 18:14
It's worth getting someone to have a look as an overheating T4 is not a happy T4 (and can potentially wreck your engine)
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 22:59
Park it some where dry.

Top it up and see if there is damp below.

Mileage? Water pump or hoses or jammed thermostat.

Don't drive it with low water and overheat it or it will get very expensive.
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 13:01
Could be anything from a leaking hose to a dodgy head gasket. Trouble is that a hose leak might just be soaked up by the sound insulation in the engine undertray, so looking for drips (without removing the tray) won't necessarily get you very far.

But water loss of that kind isn't good, so if you're not confident get someone else to have a look at it soon, and before you drive it any distance. Especially if the temp gauge isn't working, because it could overheat without you knowing...

HTH :)
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
Stav View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 14 at 17:13
When it's warmed up, check which bits are hot - radiator, bottom hose, top hose?  

You get the best access to the coolant pipes (especially the bottom hose) with the undertray off, which means either removing the front bumper, or getting the front of the van off the ground.  

Thermostat is at the end of the radiator bottom hose (end away from radiator) where it goes into the block at a flange.  When coolant is hot enough, thermostat opens and lets hot coolant go around the radiator. 

Do your cooling fans come on?  If not then one of the possible issues is that hot water is not circulating through your radiator, or the fan switch is kaput.  Other possibility is the "temperature sender" is kaput (this is a switch hidden under the glow plugs on the front of the main engine block, mounted in a flange that has 2 switches in it that are controlled by coolant temperature)

hth
Keen Newb: apologies for boring questions. My enthusiasm writes cheques my mechanical knowledge can't cash.
1999 T4 1.9TD SwB
Suze1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suze1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 14 at 14:38
Thanks for all the advice. I have had the van for nearly 8 years and over that time have topped up the water expansion tank with just water when required. However on researching water leaks I read that I should be topping up with coolant not water as coolant helps keep the operating temperature down. I purchased a bottle of G12 coolant from VW and I have used this to top up the expansion tank to max. Is this the correct thing to do or should the coolant go directly into the radiator?  Kind regards Suze

sec
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 14 at 16:16
Have a look around the coolant hoses in the engine bay if it has the g12 coolant in any small leak will leave a nice pink crusty stain which should give you an idea where it is coming from or get someone to pressure test the cooling system
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
myarse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 14 at 15:11
Hi Suze, it's probably a good time to get someone to check over your cooling system, yes you do add coolant to the header tank, BUT Coolant is expensive, and if it continues to leak fluid then it will cause serious problems, water leaks NEVER just go away!!
 Post Reply Post Reply