The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What have you done to your LT today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 15 at 13:17
Originally posted by outtatime outtatime wrote:

Stared at wiring, stopped did something else (removed some stickers and checked the timing).Stared at wiring some more, gave up and went home!

I have the same problem with wiring but with nothing working properly, I will have to rise above (or get someone else to do it, haha). Maybe beer will help.

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 15 at 21:09
Originally posted by foden01 foden01 wrote:

opened garage door had a look ,,shut garage door ,,,,,Smile
That's called strategic planning in some circles!
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
Palefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 15 at 13:23
Not so much what have I done today, but what have I done in the first week of ownership!

I have mostly been scratching my head looking at other people's bodge jobs, and wondering where to start. 
The creative designer (wife) has already started covering the half de-laminated fixtures and fittings, made new blinds and purchased the flooring. I am trying to hold her back form putting any of these things back in the van, as the saying " hanging the curtains before the paint is dry" is swimming around in my head!! 
I have discovered that the wiring has been completed by Bodge it and scarper electrical services. Power feeds direct from the main battery for the interior LED's but nothing else on the apparent circuit works! 
The previous owner was so proud of his new skylight that he had fitted and how much extra light it gives. what he forgot to mention was that the hole he made was too big for the skylight and when it rains, the light fittings become a very handy inside shower!
The engine sounds OK! a bit of a leak from the Expansion tank (hopefully just an old gasket) and the exhaust heat exchange hose(?) has completely deteriorated. 
So, Lots of bits to do, nothing too major at the moment, and updates as things move forward! 

1983 LT31 2.4 petrol LWB high top. A work in progress!
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 15 at 21:18
Glad to see you had the same team of 'electricians' as me, i'm making slow progress and will likely need the help of an auto electrician before too long as some circuits/wires have been removed/cut/damaged! 

In the meantime i'm stripping the head off and replacing the fitted non turbo injection pump with the turbo one, as i think turbo'd engines usually need the correct pumps. Must have been the mechanical repairs division of messrs Bodgit & Scarper.
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 15 at 19:33
More floor repairs !!! it feels never ending but 90% is now done and painted. Started to try and understand electrics coming out of the back of the zig rig. I did not realise twisting the ends together to join the thick cable that comes from alternator to the relay was the approved way of joining wire so out with the soldering iron ..... Also each light or accessory has its own wire going back to zig rig so some terminals on the back of zig rig has 8 wires rammed in and an over use of crimp terminals to join various bits of wire together some of which fall apart if touched - out with soldering iron again ! Longer term plan is running new wire when I know where I want everything.
Put new earths in for rear lights as they were only working when they felt like it , much to the annoyance of the local drivers who already don't appreciate my slooooow progress up the steep Gloucestershire hills .
If only it would STOP RAINING
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 16:18
Originally posted by robbydoo robbydoo wrote:

Well before we take the 'Big Lad' on our yearly snowboarding trip to Scotland I have to complete the following:-

New rear wheel bearings and seals.
New rear axle brake pipes
New front wheel bearings
New king pins
Flush the brake system through
New hand brake cables
Brakes clean and set up (as I cooked them going through Wales last month)
Radiator replace/Repair
Coolant system flush
Service
Sort driving lights out as they have failed and new lamps
Lag all the motorhome pipes/tanks as they froze last year
Rewire the mains leccy system
New flat screen in the bedroom
Paint the wheels.....all 6 of them
Sort the fuel filler neck as the breather must be blocked
Gear selector bushes and gators
Hand brake gator as i'm sick of getting a wet right arm

There is more but that'll do for this weekends work...........Gulp

Rob

Ok so not quite done much other than

Rear axle oil replacement
New rear shoes
New drums
New slave cylinders
New rear brake pipes
Brake system
new rear wheel bearings and seals
Clean and paint hubs and wheels
Stainless bolts in half shafts
New handbrake cables
Flushed the coolant system

Turn the van round and start on the front end this weekend........

I must be mad doing this in this weather....

Smile

Edited by robbydoo - 25 Nov 15 at 16:31
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 21:22
Got frustrated at how awkward it seems to be to remove the cylinder head from camper #2

One exhaust manifold bolt that i can't seem get a spanner or socket to, 4 nuts on the turbo to exhaust that won't budge and are also nigh on impossible to get to , awkward to get off cooling system and buggering my knees and back up crouching over the engine bay in various contortionist positions trying vainly to get something achieved!!!

Apart from that not much. Embarrassed
Discovery 200 TDI
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
Mattybev81 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattybev81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 15 at 01:41
Was going to move van at mates farm stupid me left the light on two wks ago so battery was dead as a dodo had no jump leads so took battery out n put on a trickle charge.
Also showed the wife the rust I had found forgot to tell her that I had pulled all the fixtures and fixings out the camper while she was on holiday were her words and will it be ready for May i just told her to have faith
yohmahmah View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yohmahmah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 15 at 17:44
To free rusted bolts, nuts use heat.  Draining the engine of coolant.  That  will allow you to localize and not spread the heat from the torch across the engine.  If a bolt breaks at or below the block surface, then use a punch and put a dimple in the middle of the bolt.  Drill bolt for easy out, then heat around bolt again then use easy out.  Good video is shown in

Part 3/8 1985 Dodge One Ton 4x4 Exhaust Manifold Replacement
Part 4/8 1985 Dodge One Ton 4x4 Left Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

yohmahmah View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yohmahmah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 15 at 17:51
You can also try welding a nut to the bolt head or try welding another bolt to the bolt head to get the original bolt out.
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 15 at 22:22
Cheers for the tips, but I managed after an hour of :
 spanner on move 1/12 of a flat, spanner back on repeated until the last nut came off!!!

Have now drained system to allow removal of header tank and radiator to allow me to tackle the viscous fan and that big nut!

Hoping to be able to slide head to the left when all is free so it hopefully detaches from the exhaust manifold studs leaving that in place for 'lets tackle the next awkward job' on friday evening then finally when the new head gasket has arrived i can start putting it all back together, and order a new cambelt kit.

What does Mr Haynes say about head removal sequence in the Petrol manual, i know mine are both Turbo Diesels but much of the sequence would be similar i'd have thought??
Discovery 200 TDI
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 15 at 17:07
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 15 at 10:10
List nearly complete after the weekend, just waiting on the nearside track rod end and then all is done.......

As for the kingpin replacement using the non reamable Febi kits......a little bit of brains and a big hammer and they are easy to do.......as long as your happy to drift the bushes in rather than pressing them in jobs straight forward.

Rob
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
kensr27sz View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kensr27sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 16 at 18:35
took mine for mot today , it failed , windscreen cracked , what a bummer ,now what to do. check with insurance tomorrow, find out how much it will cost.

ttl666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttl666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 16 at 17:11
changed all 6 wheals whit new ones, repleced all brak syistem whit a new one, changed timingbelt and all components, replaced starter, replaced driweshaft, new heter, repleced whit new headlights (xenon) and changed oil (engine, gerbox and rear axe)and all filters tats abaut it. now for 3 monts he has to driver.
sirlollypop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirlollypop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 16 at 17:43
Looked at it!

will look good from outside when done.  Just got to get the inside sorted next!
1991 LWB LT35 2.4D Home Brew Converted(When I want to get there)
1981 SWB LT28 2.7 Sven Hedin RHD(In the Paint Shop)
2007 Audi A6 3.0TDi Le Mans (When I need to get there fast)
oldfudger View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfudger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 16 at 09:32
Only purchased 28/12/15
so while weathers been poor had a look at any jobs required for Mot (end March)
steering link arm excessive play sorted
front struts changed were shot.

When weather improves plan is to change front wings and re paint (hand) whole front in original white blue atm & paint bumper, grill wing mirrors same time

kensr27sz View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kensr27sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 16 at 22:18
mine is still in a garage to get some welding done, then new windscreen then probably put up for sale as with all the family problems we might not be able to use the van much.so there might be a lt 31 for sale in the summer.

timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 16 at 21:40
Put a larger - midi heki - skylight in the Florida a coupla weeks back. Loads more light. Easy job once I'd plucked up the courage to make the first cut in the roof with the jig saw. Very please. Might have to change the dildo one now
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 16 at 22:58
Heh! Dildo!!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>