The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring for stereo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workingtitle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring for stereo
    Posted: 07 May 15 at 09:45
Hi everyone,

I want to fit a new stereo into my LT28. At the minute I have cables already installed for the constant power and earth, but nothing for the switching power. Was thinking about splicing into the ignition circuit, but I'm worried about screwing it up and causing issues with starting etc. Confused 

Is there a better solution, i.e. something that comes on with the ignition but isn't vital to the running of the van if I screw it up? Smile

Thanks,
Chris
'79 VW LT28 Camper - "KC"
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 13:29
Theres not a lot you can screw up is there? Disconnect your battery before splicing, make a good connection i.e solder etc and insulate   
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 14:03
This was useful when I put DAB in the LT. I went to Halfrauds to find an ISO block. They had a cupboard full of unused ones from upgrades.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
workingtitle View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workingtitle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 21:32
Cool thanks for the help.

Bromy, electrical work really isn't my forte, I would definitely find a way of messing it up...
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 23:39
Wasn't a dig workingtitle. You can get self splicing crimps which splice into your switch live without you having to remove/cut/disturb any wiring but in my experience they are crap 
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 20:06
Have you got a multimeter?

I know on mine there were certainly a few spare switched live terminals on the fusebox.
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workingtitle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 21:38
I cheated in the end, spliced both 12V wires from the stereo to a constant live from the leisure battery so that I can listen to the radio etc without engine on. It hadn't even occurred to me to do that until I read LTCamper89s link... Very happy to have a stereo now!!! :D

Time for a cheeky question... Is there anyone near to Dunstable who'd be happy to meet up and talk me through some of the finer points of camper electrics at some point? This is my first camper and my heads swimming trying to figure it all out, particularly as I'm sure the camper interior isn't exactly standard!!! Would certainly be a beer in it for you, or a brew ;)
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 21:44
I'm in Milton Keynes, so not far away. Happy to advise - I'm alright at the camping side of things.
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workingtitle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 22:13
Cool, thanks Icky Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply