The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wont start - ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wont start - ideas?
    Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 21:04
Hello,

So guessing my transplant 2.4TD engine hasn't been run in 2 or 3 years. Was stored outside for a year under cover (ishEmbarrassed) then into the workshop for another year, followed by 20mins work a week for another year to swap it out for the NA lump. You can see how keen I was!

So it cranks fine. The battery is only good for maybe 10 seconds turning before it's too flat to crank anymore.

I've tried cranking while jumping off another van too but still hasn't really getting enough power through to do much better.

The glow plugs seem to be working, i've tried hooking them up direct to a bat to get the engine real warm. Also sprayed a bit of 'easy start' on cranking to no avail.

It's getting fuel - bled the injectors. Smoke is coming out of the turbo housing - no exhaust fitted yet. However I wouldn't say it's firing - not in such a way that i'd say it's 'trying' to start.  

So what next? I'm going to give the batter a full trickle charge to see if that gives it some more welly!

Tom 

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 00:51
Sounds like your battery is pretty well rooted.  "Wet" lead/acid batteries get damaged when they are deeply discharged, and even more damaged when completely flattened, so this one has probably given all its got and it is time for a new'un.

Your problem may be as simple as a near dead battery being unable to supply sufficient current to crank the engine fast enough to generate enough combustion pressure to ignite the diesel.

How fast is it cranking ?  ie normal fastish rrrr, rrrr, or more a slow struggle and barely turning over.

I doubt that a "full trickle charge" (whatever that is) will give you enough extra to do much better, but I suppose it is worth trying in case it is just enough to get the engine going. 

Jump starting may not be working because the "good" battery has to both supply current to the starter motor AND try to charge up the "dead" battery at the same time.

I suggest removing the dead battery altogether and temporarily replacing it with a known good battery to see if it is just the battery or not (when diagnosing faults I always look to try the easy and/or cheap solutions first, then go on to the more difficult ones next if I have to).  IIRC when cranking a good battery shouldn't fall much below 10.5V if everything is in good working order (maybe down to 10.0V if it is cold and a high compression diesel engine).

Remember to let us know how you get on (it adds to the useful corporate knowledge here on the 'yard ).

Edited by gregozedobe - 06 Mar 12 at 15:08
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 09:13
Well the original battery was new 2 or 3 years ago, but might well have died. It was showing 11.5v before I boosted it off my 'good' van for a few hours running it in parallel while doing a few runs. But wouldn't say it is gutsy as it could be.

I've cranked with the battery from my good van too - although it is smaller than the original LT bat. I did have a undersized bat in the LT for a while which did the job fine.

What I want is a big jumper pack or summit.

Hmmm

I'll keep you updated.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 12 at 09:48
You also need hefty jump leads - do the ones you are using get warm? If so you are wasting energy and you won't get the full benefit of the 'good' battery.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
 Post Reply Post Reply