The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Won't Start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't Start
    Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 16:15
Been trying to start my van this afternoon. It's been sitting unused since last October under a cover. Should have started as always starts within half a turn of the engine, even after 6-8 months standing. Battery is a bit low (12.45 volts) so can't turn it over too long. Just about 10 seconds, before it starts to get slow and needs more charging so going to leave it charging try again tomorrow.

I am sure there is something I am forgetting as have had this before. I've pulled off the leak return end cap and its wet with fuel there. I often have these end caps perish but it's ok this time. All dry everywhere else. All the return pipes ok and not wet with fuel. I can't see if there is fuel in the clear pipe feeding the injection pump, but I'm more that 50% sure there is fuel in it. Can't see even with a bright torch. No leaks on the fuel filter or water trap unions. Not drained the water trap yet though.

I think it will fire tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone has anything to add as I am sure I am missing something obvious. I'm certain it's nowt serious. It has done this in the past but cannot remember what I did.
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 16:48
getting any smoke when its turning? I'd check the glow plug fuses first, then if that doesnt solve it maybe swap the feed and return fuel lines round to see if its a blockage.
"LT Massive"
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 17:48
No smoke at all. Bearly a whiff of anything. Just turning over without a hint of firing. Glow plugs are doing their job. Volts drop to 12.1 when they come on and rise to 12.7 when the relay goes off. Just unscrewed the water trap under wing and fuel there ok. I'll have another go tomorrow when the battery has got more charge to turn it over for longer.

Not going to get too techy with it yet as think it will come good after more turning over as it's done in the past. I hope. Last time I ran it was after changing the antifreeze last Oct. Ran it for 10-20 minutes stationary until it got to temp. Couldn't drive it as tax had be sent back by then.

Thanks for suggestions.
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 18:02
How strange. This thread has now got a link from the lt section to the tech section. 
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 19:17
I have noticed it too, many posts get a double link....anyway... I'm sure it will fire right tomorrow. I think about some small air bubbles between the filter and the pump and not enough battery to get rid of. Let us know.

Edited by Dedo - 25 Feb 09 at 19:17
'86 LT28 Diesel Sven Hedin
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 21:03
I'm hoping for that tomorrow too. There is nothing seriously wrong with it. I'm sure of that. Just needs a fast turn over to get the fuel pressure back up again and any air out of the system. I am hoping anyway. Suppose it's not unreasonable that a little air could have got into system with it standing for 5 months.

I'll let you know
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 10:00
Check the glow plugs are getting nice and hot , I would have thought the voltage would have dropped a little more than 0.6 volts when trying to heat up 6 plugs. I'll go and do mine if you like and check the voltage drop , I think I have at least one out, and like t'others have said get the battery charged.

LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 10:17
brrr cold out

right just checked the voltage on mine
12.8v , down to 10.6v with the plugs heating up and 13.7v engine running

I'd also check the glow plug relay

hope this is some help
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 11:39
mine was about the same as t'onion's.

you could try taking the glowplug relay out and just give it a gentle 'tap' on the dashboard then plug it in again, mighta just got a bit sticky.

don't tap it too hard though, you'll fuck it LOL
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 17:14
All running now. Took 4 bursts of 10-20  turns of engine separated by a few minutes to let starter cool down. Must have been dry of fuel or air got in over the 5 months sitting unused. Just needed a long crank over to get it all through. Looks like I'll have to go and start it up more often. Buttoned up again now under it's winter cover. Might get the tax back on it for start of March and give it a drive.

Thanks for all the tips and advise. Handy info for us all.

Time for a beer. CheersSmile

Edited by rockradio - 26 Feb 09 at 17:19
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 17:42
Oh yeah, you were right about the voltage readings. I was looking at a meter that measures the output of the camper charger and not directly across the engine battery.  There is a long cable run from the charger to the engine battery and it was not showing the full voltage drop the battery was dropping to. 
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 20:05
To finish off this thread, after replacing the leak-off diesel return pipes it now starts fine even after leaving it a week and probably a year as it used to be.  The leak-off pipes had perished and even though they looked ok, the rubber had perished under the cloth covering. When I got them off you could see the diesel oozing out of the pipe wall and when I squeezed the pipe diesel came out of it like water out of a sponge.

This is the only thing that stopped my van starting. Well it would start but only after 4 rounds of 20 turns of the engine spread out over 20 minutes.

It does still have a tiny drip from the bottom of the injection pump around the cold start cable area, but this is not causing any problems in starting or running.
 Post Reply Post Reply