The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You got Fridge problems????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You got Fridge problems????
    Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 08:23
Loadsa threads about problem fridges at the mo, must have been the Summer !!

Does your fridge work at all ?? Does it work on ANY of the 3 power sources?? In normal Summer conditions (ie not 40 degree heat in Morrocco) it should make ice on the element with any of the 3 sources of power ie 12V, 240V or gas. This will give you around zero to 4 degrees in the top of the fridge, minus degrees on a good day / night.

Easiest and quickest option if it works, but not very well, or works on some type of power source and not others, replace the gas jet as a matter or course, it`s a service item, replace the 12V element if at all suspect, replace the 240V element if at all suspect.

Having arsed about with my fridge due to problems like many others, I`ve done all of the above and the fridge now works as it should. What price can you put on cold beer Smile (oh, and not getting food poisoning from dodgy food not kept properly in the fidge)

Edited by Joker_Club - 31 Aug 10 at 08:24
Sunny Lancs
Horns View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
No1 Mass Debater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 13:19
So your fridge works? Congratulations. Was it really worth starting yet another fridge thread to tell us, though?
1986 Joker 1.6TD
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 13:31

The idea behind the post was that the same thing gets asked week-in, week-out (NOT trying to be clever about my fridge working Confused which it does by the way Wink). The way to fix the fridge is to replace the 3 bits that are the usually knackered parts, saves you taking the fridge in and out endless times to usually end up with what you need to do in the first place. If you think it`s a worthless post then so be it.

Sunny Lancs
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 15:27
Originally posted by Horns Horns wrote:

So your fridge works? Congratulations. Was it really worth starting yet another fridge thread to tell us, though?

Perhaps you should think before running off at the mouth fella - had lots of help and tips with my Westy from MrJoker_Club and I would venture to say so have a lot of other Westy owners.

My fridge is not working at the moment and this provides me with a nice little checklist to work through so if you can't say anything nice, shut the fuck up.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
pictonroad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pictonroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 17:27
Confused yeh, odd one that Horns..
Joker Club has helped in so many Westy threads on here, I've spent ages reading through the posts and as so many problems affect more than one person, he's a godsend.

I echo the cat. STFU.
On the South Coast....
pictonroad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pictonroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 17:35
oh, and I also thought of

" you got fridge problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems (in the van) and a fridge aint one..."

when I read the thread title.

sorry, been a long day with the thinners....
On the South Coast....
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 21:55
Top man J_C
Got me a new jet. Thanks.
Don't let the  b******s get you down.
Keep cool man  Cool
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
jameshere View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 05:56
OK, I will stick my neck out and support Horns' point of view.  At least he made his point simply and politely, unlike one respondent . . .
And why would anyone replace expensive, difficult to obtain parts without first checking to see if they are faulty?  The 12v and 240v heating elements will either be good, or burnt-out (open circuit); no in-between. A simple resistance check will tell you which. (And if you don't have a digital meter, one will cost you a lot less than a single element).
I have never recorded the resistance values of these elements, but I believe that they are both rated at around 70-80 watts, so the resistance of the 240v element should be about 700 Ohms, and that of the 12v element 2 Ohms.  The amperages would be approx. 6a and 0.3a respectivly.
James
'94 Florida  
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 07:42
Originally posted by jameshere jameshere wrote:

The 12v and 240v heating elements will either be good, or burnt-out (open circuit); no in-between. A simple resistance check will tell you which.
Theory says you are right, but in practice, and I`ve proven this twice with different fridges, the elements deteriorate in performance, not always burn out, they still work but not enough to cool the fridge down to the correct temps. A straight swap with a new element cured the problem fridges. Neither elements were burnt out, they showed resistance when checked, but wouldn`t work enough to properly cool the fridge, `specially the 12V one.
My point was that you can spend ages arsing about with these things, same with the jets, they can seem to be working, as you have a flame but they won`t cool the fridge properly. A new jet cures the fault (they can sometimes be cleaned in an ultra-sonic cleaner, but for 16 quid it`s time saved (in having to pull the fridge out again if it isn`t successful) just to swap for a new one and peace of mind.
Sunny Lancs
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 08:01
Originally posted by jameshere jameshere wrote:

OK, I will stick my neck out and support Horns' point of view.  At least he made his point simply and politely, unlike one respondent . . .
think you kinda missed the point of the thread fella

horns just likes to be seen to be controversial and tends to start pointless arguments.

any post which stops the countless "my fridge dont work" threads gets a thumbs up from me.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

pandaboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 09:47
Hi,

One of my first posts on here - don't bite my head off!!  Where would I go about getting a new burner for my fridge?

Tried everything else to get the damn thing running on gas!

Ta!

Edited by pandaboy - 01 Sep 10 at 09:48
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 16:44
You mean the gas jet?? Got mine (and a few other peoples) from Peter Gunzl in Germany.

also of some use for Westy owners?

Sunny Lancs
Horns View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
No1 Mass Debater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 20:56
As has been said, the question pops up all the time and gets answered all the time - I've answered it myself on numerous occasions. I simply don't see how starting yet another thread on the subject achieves anything much, and I don't agree with blindly replacing components without diagnosing the problem first.
1986 Joker 1.6TD
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 21:16
I think Club_Joker has explained quite clearly why replacement is often better than trying to diagnose something that will eventually require the component being replaced anyway.
I think this thread was intended to try and help people get the fridge fixed quickly and easily but as usual you come wading in all guns blazing having a go at one of the most helpful people on this forum.
You really need to move further from your work so you have more time, whilst commuting, to think before you respond to people trying to help everyone else.

I am a totally useless cunt so please feel free to have a pop on any thread I start.
Can't think of any post/thread I started that has been useful to anyone so perhaps you would be better employed censoring mine rather than useful ones posted by Joker_Club.

As I said before, say something positive and contribute or STFU.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
Horns View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
No1 Mass Debater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 21:24
I think you might benefit from a dash of your own advice.
1986 Joker 1.6TD
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 21:26
sits and unwraps popcorn.......................
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 21:31
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

sits and unwraps popcorn.......................

Methinks it had better be a bumper box with free refills. LOL

Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 21:38
Horns, you are Diamond Hell and I claim my £5.
Horns View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
No1 Mass Debater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 21:40
I'm what now?
1986 Joker 1.6TD
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 21:52
Not what, whom.
Diamond Hell, a nice chap, bought a van from him once.
He also liked to be provocative, argumentative, contradictory, supercilious, superior and many more such words.
He generally got up peoples noses by not letting people get on and have a happy life.
Whereas I tend to be happy for people to get on and have a happy time, if that means posting a thread to help so be it, how often have people asked about wheels?
Go to the bank, withdraw some cash, go get yourself a blow job - it may relax you a bit. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>