The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"You startin somat, mate?"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "You startin somat, mate?"
    Posted: 09 Jan 10 at 21:49

Ha!

Random problem with my new LT...

When you turn it off, it tries to start itself again!

You flick the keys back onto ignition point 1, and it then stops trying to start again...

What do we reckon, a problem with the ignition switch or at the starter end? :)
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 10 at 04:54
I'm assuming that you can hear the starter motor and its not just running on.
If so then I'd suspect the switch or connector block as a sticky solenoid would have knackered the motor by now. Solenoid should only get power when you turn the key further.
Always interesting buying a new vehicle, hope this is the only problem.

I remember a post a while ago where the starter motor was permanently trying to start the engine, I know its not quite the same problem but it might be worth reading through.

LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 10 at 12:48
It's the starter motor - you turn the key off and it stops nad goes silent; you take the key out and it starts off LOL

I'm just worried in case it does it randomly if it's parked in gear and fucks off down the road by itself! LOL
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 10 at 15:10
You could fit an isolator switch like I've got to stop the vehicle battery being drained cost is about 12 quid.
Take that plastic key out and its an anti theft device too.

Not going to solve the problem (still think its the switch) but will buy you piece of mind.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 10 at 15:16

Icky, it has to be the switch surely, the only way the starter can get power is through the ignition switch then solenoid, so surely there has to be some sort of short in the ign switch.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 10 at 17:18
LOL I reckon it must be... still its quite random eh!

not had a chance to look today, too much bloody work on... but will look tomorrow

It's like bloody herbie! LOL

My mate's dad had a car like that once... it ended up starting up and crashing into a row of cars

The bloke whos car it hit was like "It just started up.. and drove at my car then reared up on top of it!"

Luckily the insurance people managed to laugh their way through it...

Hopefully we won't have a repeat of that though LOL

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
 Post Reply Post Reply