The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to fit an oil pressure switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to fit an oil pressure switch
    Posted: 16 Feb 17 at 18:05
This guide is for the the 2.5 five cylinder engines only. 

Officially to do this job you should remove the front bumper and pull back the front panel which is a common start for lots of jobs on this engine and involves hours of effort and many screws.  The manual also says to remove the A/C compressor.

Ignore this and:

Remove the vibration damper on the front crossmember.

Add support for the the engine using a jack with a block of wood.

Remove the front engine mounting.

Remove the air filter box.

Remove the offside engine mounting. (The one directly below the air filter)

Remove the offside engine mounting bracket. 

Jack up the engine slightly using a block of wood on the sump.  Looking down from where you removed the air filter box you will see the oil pressure sensor and its plastic armoured/corrugated single wire.  It's important not to wreck the connector.  It's a standard VW connector such as the MAF connector only smaller.  Look online or ask here if you don't know how to release them.

The oil pressure switch needs a 24mm spanner to undo.  Despite its low position on the engine, it won't leak more than a few drops of oil.

Make sure the new sensor comes with a new aluminium washer and don't let the washer drop off as you are fitting it because it is slightly awkward to start the thread with your hand cranked at an angle.  Don't go mad tightening it with your big 24mm spanner either, it's only a little fine thread!

I've made it sound difficult but I'd say 1.5 hours tops.  Tongue  

I've got some words and pics which explain the removal of the vibration damper and front mounting better which I'll add eventually if I get round to it.  (Edit - PM me and I will send you the file, too many pics for here).

Edited by T5 TDI - 17 Aug 23 at 14:07
2004 2.5 174
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 17 at 21:01
Good write up is that switch below the oil/water cooler ?
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 17 at 21:52
Yep.  Without dismantling anything (and with a good bright light) you can just about see the wire connecting to it if you look down below the oil filter.  

Jacking the engine up a couple of inches makes all the difference because it brings the switch just above that bit of chassis where it hides. 

I always notice your little tricks for moving the engine about to avoid unnecessary work on this unusual engine (removing inlet manifold etc) and I am the same. Smile 

2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 17 at 23:11
Thanks   Thumbs Up   (he said, hoping he'll never need to use this helpful info  Wink )
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 08:13
I do agree the stripping down the front to get to almost everything on the front of the engine is a complete ball ache. Mines in bits again with the block needing new linings and an oil gallery modification but I needed to take the front off again. Those poor little screw and bolt threads must be worn out by now
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 19:37
I've managed to avoid taking the front off so far for 13 years/105k.*  Because of that experience I'm always keen to try out new methods not suggested in the manual of doing the common jobs on this unusual engine without the pain of taking the front off if I don't need to.  Why didn't they just make it like the T4 where it just simply hinges out? Disapprove 

I have made a little printable manual with good pics of how to to change the alternator freewheels and couplings without taking the front off which I can email free to anyone that wants it.

Edit- *Had to replace the oil cooler.  Front off!    

Edited by T5 TDI - 19 Jan 19 at 15:56
2004 2.5 174
Daveydie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveydie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 17 at 21:16
How to you unclip the connector, can't get it off. TIA
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 12:17
From memory on that one you push the side in rather than the more common VW connectors where you pull the locking tab back.  It is a bit awkward to get at though.  I think I pressed mine with a screwdriver.

It often helps to push the connector further on first as you press the side in which releases pressure on the locking tab.  Don't lose patience and get brutal they are easy enough to break!   
2004 2.5 174
Ollas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 19 at 20:51
I need to change the oil pressure sensor and would like to see some pictures in you still have them, thanks, will do my best to follow this guide!Smile
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 19 at 12:46
I haven't got any pictures of the whole job but if you pm me an email address I can send you a guide of another job which starts the same way so it has pics and a description of how to remove the vibration damper and front engine mounting.  Most of the rest of the job is straightforward but just be patient with the wiring plug on the switch.  It is awkward to get to and easily broken.      
2004 2.5 174
coops View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 22 at 06:57
I know it's an old post but I've just changed my oil pressure switch and found I could do it by only loosening the air con compressor. 

If you remove the 3 very long bolts then slide the compressor outboard and forward, there is enough give to get access to the switch with a 24mm combi spanner. If I could work out how to upload a photo I would!

I will admit that I've got pretty long arms so I was able reach the plug and screw the new switch in at full stretch from the top of the engine.

Hope this helps somebody.

BLACK 54 T30 174 SWB PANEL VAN
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 22 at 10:53
Good spot!   I never noticed that. The compressor is quite easy to take off and I have done this many times but I didn't see any access to the oil switch.

Re the pics- One way is to upload an image to a free hosting service like imgur.com    When your pic is uploaded, hover over it and choose 'Get share links' and then choose BBCode.  Simply paste the code where you want your pic to be in your post.   
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply