The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 22:09
Originally posted by Jam-Man Jam-Man wrote:

Oh, forgot to mention... Oxy/Acetylene bottles are available on the 'black market' but they are inevitably empty and you will have trouble getting them filled if you don't have a trusted friend with a proper BOC account...

This option is no longer a flyer as every bottle is scanned in and out on each account, turn up with strange bottle and the account hold will get landed with rental charges for those bottles.

Also to pick up a bottle is another £15 each smile, and then the fill of gas.

If in Belfast Co2, pure argon and argon blend are available in there own bottles Ulster Bottling Glen Road.

BOC are abusing their monopoly on gas.
Mattybev81 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattybev81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 00:55
Looking at this wot do ya recon as I am on a buget just for panels nothing hardcore

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281488279967

Wolf Mig140 Gas No Gas Gasless Combination Turbo Smooth DC Mig Welder 135amp
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 10:42
Haven't bought any Wolf products so can't comment on reliability etc.
Wire feed issues are not uncommon with entry level welders, so google first before you buy.
The mechanism on my RTech welder is an absolute work of art compared to my old sip, but I managed with the sip for over 10 years, just took a bit of fiddling about at times.

If you can I'd buy a welder locally cos 35kg isn't going to be cheap to send back for repairs etc.

As a starter kit it seems to have enough to get going, but small spools of wire and gas bottles are very expensive consumables. Find out if you can fit a 5kg spool of wire.
Check that the tips supplied are standard, that way you can nip to a local supplier if you need some in the middle of a job, or get some on ebay etc.
I'd also find out if you can fit a euro torch.

For panels I use 0.6mm wire with gas, cooler and quicker to grind down than 0.8mm.
If you work outside then you use more gas, a small bottle can run out in minutes.

Long term look at an auto helmet - leaves both hands free, and a boc gas bottle via the deal I have posted. Personally I would buy the kit without the gas bottle and regulator and put the £20 saving into a regulator. And start a boc bottle rental straight away.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 16:33
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 21:32
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 19:51
Thats unfair mate.
Welder with no warranty or delivery costs, need to be in the For Sale section.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 20:00
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 21:32
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 21:03
Note to self:
Make sure when replying to posts you're actually replying to the most recent one, and not one from the first page!

As you were folks, nothing to see here, i really didn't just spend 5 mins replying to an old welding post honest!

Edited by outtatime - 25 Nov 15 at 21:29
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 23:21
Not my rules mate, mods and admins are sick of moving stuff to the correct area so we delete them.

Anything for sale on the forum, please read before posting:-
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/rules-and-regs-read-or-die_topic22023.html

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 19 at 16:14
Hi Guys,
BOC have a glitch on there system which ignores the discount negotiated for rental.
If you get an invoice that makes no sense then ring them and they will sort it out.
Rental for the Y size bottle should be £4.70 per month btw.
Cheers
Andy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234